Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
No one can predict the future who would have thought a year ago we'd be going into a serious depression? I think the political situation will blend toward a moderate to Left mindset regardless of the candidate's party.

There's a discussion on the recent mayor's race in LA & how the Republican candidate would be considered a radical Leftist in Orange county. It's all a degree of interpreting the needs of the citizens.
what does that have to do with what you call a republican that voted for Obama?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 12:48 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Orange County Registrar of Voters. Can't check the site out at work (stupid Adobe Flash ban) but all the stats should be there: Orange County Registrar of Voters
Does it have stats for individual municipalities?

Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
I don't know, why don't you click on the link and find out? Like I said, my work network bans Flash-based programs, so I couldn't see all the site had to offer (if anything). Regardless of how NB voted, the county ultimately voted for McCain 50-47. I tried searching the OC Register's website (nobody can accuse that of being a liberal rag) and all election-related materials and maps had been taken down.

Quote:
what does that have to do with what you call a republican that voted for Obama?
Its cyclical. What we're seeing now is exactly what we saw in 1992 during a recession when everyone was fed up with Bush I and voted for Clinton (well, Perot also helped). Then the Republicans took back congress in the 1994 midterm elections because people were fed up with the way the Dem majority ran the country (I consider myself a moderate liberal and lets be honest: They were doing a terrible job)

Like the Dems before them, the Republicans in congress squandered their goodwill with the public full-force, especially during the latter years of the Bush II Administration (wasteful spending, pork projects, no oversight/accountability over the Treasury/SEC which partly led to the mess we're currently in), resulting in the Democratic Revolution in the midterm elections in 2006 and eventually the selection of Barack Obama as our next president.

If not in 2010, we'll eventually see the tide swing back toward Republicans. Watch for them, like the Dems and Reps in years past (1994 and 2006), promising change and accountability, especially if, assuming my prediction is correct, the economy doesn't improve under the first term of the Obama Administration.

Think of it as a never ending game of Pong. And it'll be that way until Americans wake up and realize that the two party system no longer works. We elect/pay lawyers to act like children and bicker with one another while this country continues to fall apart. Obama talks like someone who wants/demands government reform, but I've yet to see any proof of him doing what's necessary. We're still throwing money at banks and companies like AIG and GM who should ultimately fail if this country ever wants to get itself out of this mess.

Last edited by buckeyenative01; 03-10-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM

I remember seeing a map of the prop 8 returns for la county that showed the for and against areas, I forgot the address, does anyone know where that might be?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
If not in 2010, we'll eventually see the tide swing back toward Republicans. Watch for them, like the Dems and Reps in years past (1994 and 2006), promising change and accountability, especially if, assuming my prediction is correct, the economy doesn't improve under the first term of the Obama Administration.
There are some differences between 1994 and 2010 - in 1994, most people couldn't remember the days when the GOP controlled Congress. In 1994, there were only three sitting federal legislators of either party who had been in the House when the GOP controlled the House - Sidney Yates, John Dingell, and Robert Byrd (who wasn't yet a Senator but still a Congressman when the GOP controlled the House). And to give one an idea of how long it had been, Dingell and Byrd were freshmen Congressmen when the Dems had previously been the minority party. Unlike in 1994, a GOP Congress is within recent memory. Also, there are more Republicans retiring than Democrats. (The only Dem big name that I know of who's even considering retirement is Harry Reid). I do think the GOP may pick up a few seats in 2010 as I think any recovery will still be in its early stages by election time - but I don't see 1994 happening again. OTOH, on state levels, it may be a different story. Giuliani most likely will beat Paterson in NY, although Jerry Brown has pretty much of a lock on California.

Last edited by majoun; 03-13-2009 at 12:45 AM..

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There are some differences between 1994 and 2010 - in 1994, most people couldn't remember the days when the GOP controlled Congress. In 1994, there were only three sitting federal legislators of either party who had been in the House when the GOP controlled the House - Sidney Yates, John Dingell, and Robert Byrd (who wasn't yet a Senator but still a Congressman when the GOP controlled the House). Unlike in 1994, a GOP Congress is within recent memory. Also, there are more Republicans retiring than Democrats. (The only Dem big name that I know of who's even considering retirement is Harry Reid). I do think the GOP may pick up a few seats in 2010 as I think any recovery will still be in its early stages by election time - but I don't see 1994 happening again. OTOH, on state levels, it may be a different story. Giuliani most likely will beat Paterson in NY, although Jerry Brown has pretty much of a lock on California.
I bet Meg Whitman can beat Jerry Brown.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I bet Meg Whitman can beat Jerry Brown.
Too conservative for CA (although she'd win OC for sure). Also, Brown's name recognition is much higher, for obvious reasons.

Wealthy novices who aren't famous actors have a poor record in running for governor. Just ask Al Checci and Ron Unz (not that either one's a bad guy, but neither were successful).

Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Speaking of governor, who in the world plans on running for the Republicans in 2010? I've heard SF Mayor Newsom and maybe Villaraigosa for the Democrats, but I really couldn't bring myself to vote for either if they ran...

Then again, I no longer live in California and am just a casual observer at this time.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 AM

25 posts, read 34,713 times
Quote:
Too conservative for CA (although she'd win OC for sure). Also, Brown's name recognition is much higher, for obvious reasons.

Wealthy novices who aren't famous actors have a poor record in running for governor. Just ask Al Checci and Ron Unz (not that either one's a bad guy, but neither were successful).

Hey, if Meg is a descendant of Walt Whitman - and she might be if she's wealthy - then she might be as famous as Al Checci (who?) or Ron Unz (who?).Or she might be a Whitman Sampler (get it?) and is just testing the water or the chocolate.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 AM

25 posts, read 34,713 times
Quote:

Hey, if Meg is a descendant of Walt Whitman - and she might be if she's wealthy - then she might be as famous as Al Checci (who?) or Ron Unz (who?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County