Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 07:58 PM

689 posts, read 639,047 times

Advertisements

This is an old thread but since someone else revived it, I'll chime in. :-) I usually prefer John Wayne even if it means a connecting flight. There are, however, some drawbacks. One drawback to John Wayne are the takeoff & landing curfews. I forget the details, but it's something like no landings after 11pm and no takeoffs before 7am. I have been diverted to LAX multiple times because of a late takeoff at a connecting airport. The short runway limits the takeoff weight as well. Also, airport capacity is limited by law if I recall correctly both by numbers of slots as well as total passengers. So while I prefer John Wayne over LAX even if it means making a connection, the drawback is that you have to make a connection.

The airport overall is nice and easy. However, when I make my next move, I will definitely pay more attention to the airport. John Wayne's limitations annoy me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 08:32 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
This is an old thread but since someone else revived it, I'll chime in. :-) I usually prefer John Wayne even if it means a connecting flight. There are, however, some drawbacks. One drawback to John Wayne are the takeoff & landing curfews. I forget the details, but it's something like no landings after 11pm and no takeoffs before 7am. I have been diverted to LAX multiple times because of a late takeoff at a connecting airport.
What happens when they divert you to LAX? Do they provide a shuttle? We've used SNA a few times, but never late enough to be diverted. I would worry since we like to park our car at the airport when we fly and the parking there is so convenient. Are you just on your own to get back to OC?

Old 08-24-2021, 08:54 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
I love John Wayne and have never been diverted to another airport...never had bad experiences like the ones we've had at LAX; e.g. circling around the airport six times before being able to land; all the gates full so we wait on the tarmac for 45 minutes before deplaning; afternoon flight canceled until the next day and we're left on our own to find a place to stay overnight, etc.

We just flew out of John Wayne in July and the experience was so easy and perfect, EXCEPT that the long-term parking was closed, as we found out when we tried to park there. I didn't even think to check that beforehand. Of course it was easy enough to park in the parking lots next to the terminal, but a lot more expensive. That's probably the "worst" thing that's ever happened to me at John Wayne.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:58 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
My first time to California was to this airport. I remember thinking, wow, this is a nice place. I was also impressed by the statue of the Duke, himself.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
What happens when they divert you to LAX? Do they provide a shuttle? We've used SNA a few times, but never late enough to be diverted. I would worry since we like to park our car at the airport when we fly and the parking there is so convenient. Are you just on your own to get back to OC?
Each of the times I was diverted they sent me to LAX. The airline provided a shuttle back to Orange County. You have to wait for all the passengers to claim their luggage and board the bus back to John Wayne Airport.

It was very annoying.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:38 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
It's the best.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:37 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Every time I have flown in or out of SNA, the experience has been good.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:55 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Probably the best airport in Southern California. The only thing I dislike is the departing aircraft
need to fly by noise abatement rules.

https://www.ocair.com/business/gener...ise-abatement/

Old 08-29-2021, 08:08 PM

Orange County would benefit from an airport with full-size runways that's served by mass-transit. Unfortunately, neither are likely. It all depends on who lobbies harder. Years ago, there was lobbying to try to get John Wayne restricted if not closed with a new airport being built at the old El Toro Marine Base. There was lobbying in the other direction to not build a new airport. Those lobbyists succeeded and John Wayne remains open. It's a nice looking airport that's fun to be in, but woefully underpowered for the area. We now have a single 5701 foot runway serving a population that continues to grow. There was a light rail link proposed as well that failed as well due to the "it will bring more crime to our neighborhoods crowd." Yeah...I am crying over spilled milk. :-)

Old 09-01-2021, 11:51 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,661,389 times
When flying down to So Cal for business or pleasure, I generally avoid LAX and use the suburban area airports such as John Wayne (SNA), Ontario (ONT), Long Beach (LGB) and Burbank (BUR). I flew in and out of John Wayne on a recent visit to Laguna Beach this summer. My only compliant is the lack of decent public transit connections to the airport. OCTA doesn't provide the best service to the airport. I would have been open to taking transit to and from Laguna Beach if it wasn't for having to change buses twice. I ended up taking Lyft to and from my hotel. But other than that, John Wayne is very a convenient and pleasant airport to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County