Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:00 PM

257 posts, read 408,043 times

Advertisements

Well, that's what happens when the government and army fails to protect the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,579,050 times
to "slowbill"
Read what "Voyaguer put and I think you might get what I meant now.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,863 times
Default Minoritys give me a break.

Unfortunately the opportunities available to whites. are far from the truth. Tell me when I have to come up with $35.000 a year and struggle to pay for my 18 year old while others, lets say minoritys are given a free ride if they attend college. Minoritys who you trying to kid whites are minoritys. I grew up in schools with many Mexican Americans and Have no issues. My issue is when my tax dollars go's for paying for Mexican Nationals food stamps schooling etc. I've never got a free ride why should they. Calling me a racist is far far from the truth.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:12 PM

20 posts, read 53,108 times
The higher percentage of ESL's will bring any school down for the reasons mentioned, and there is a lot of truth to the old saw that higher percentages of minorities decrease educational quality. Yet...

If your kid is motivated enough almost any district has a decent honors/AP program. Even in lowly Placentia there is an IB and AP program at Valencia High (mostly hispanic). Your child can receive a private school level education at almost any high school outside of Santa Ana.

Of course, if your kid is a slack jawed buffoon, languishing in the regular classes, then it makes little difference which school, in which town, he or she attends.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM

20 posts, read 53,108 times
One other thing, while the minority numbers issue is true, it is also changing. More black and hispanics are moving in to middle income and mainstream society. A good education and future are no longer viewed as an impossibility or the result of good fortune, or being white. Tehre will always be some thuggish, moronic individuals of every race and culture, but in the main, things are improving. Every community has pockets of the "hard of thinking", but if you push your kids into honors/AP instead of a boat or dirt bike, they'll be fine.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:59 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
adding on to what voyageur posted, i've always wondered how new yorkers felt when when they were bombarded with huge amounts of immigrants during that city's history. first it was the irish, then it was the Italians and a whole slew of other europeans. i'm certain there a lot of hatred, prejudice and racism and claims that said immigrants would be the downfall of america. we just happen to be living through another huge immigration phase in our country's history. we'll get through it just like we have every other time and hopefully end up stronger because of it.
I dont remember Italians and other Europeans being babied with endless forms in their own languages,special esl classes.They came over here and learned the language worked hard,didn't sponge of Welfare and other social services for generations and overload our prisons,schools,hospitals and infrastructure.Did they utilize FAKE documents and engage in Identity theft?European migration here was not as long as this present Illegal alien invasion.If you immigrate here legally and follow our laws your more than welcome,all others that don't(Illegal aliens)need to be DEPORTED.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
In the year 1900, 600,000 American elementary school students (when the population of the entire country was only ~76,000,000) were taught in German-only or German-English bilingual schools.
My dad spoke only Polish in elementary school in Buffalo (1920s), even though he was born in Buffalo. That's just they way they did it.

Graduated University of Michigan, electrical engineering in 3.5 years, in 1942.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,991,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I dont remember Italians and other Europeans being babied with endless forms in their own languages,special esl classes.
ESL classes? Are you kidding? There were elementary schools across the United States that taught their curriculum solely in German. You "don't remember" it because you weren't there and you have this silly, utopian view of history in which the valiant Europeans flocked to America and immediately learned the language, eschewing their mother tongue.

Not surprisingly, this has no basis in reality.

The children of German immigrants often attended German language schools, public or private. There was a large and widespread German press in this country. In 1910, 10% of the population spoke German as its primary language.

Similar realities existed for Italians, though as there were fewer immigrants from italy than Germany, such realities weren't as widespread or as common.

Here's an interesting read, if you're willing to open your mind to historical reality:
The German-Americans-Chapter Seven

Quote:
They came over here and learned the language worked hard,didn't sponge of Welfare and other social services for generations and overload our prisons,schools,hospitals and infrastructure.
Some worked hard, some didn't. Some learned the language, some didn't. This is how it has always been, your heroic image of the great migrant past notwithstanding.

Quote:
Did they utilize FAKE documents and engage in Identity theft?.
Uh... they were white. For a long time, they could immigrate at will, without restrictions. Why then would they fake documents? But after the immigration restrictions of the 1920s, when movement from southern and eastern Europe to the United States was restricted, there were indeed those who broke the law in order to get into the United States and stay here. How naive it is of you to imagine that there was ever a law that was not widely broken by those who stood to gain from breaking that law.

Quote:
European migration here was not as long as this present Illegal alien invasion.
Hello? European migration to what is now the United States began long before the founding of the country, and finally breathed its last major gasp in the wave of post-World War II refugees after a long pause during the depression and the war. It lasted for centuries. The current period of immigration is but a few decades old.

There are certainly a wide variety of problems, growing pains and harsh realities associated with immigration, legal and otherwise, but they have always been there. Yes, even with those wonderful European immigrants from the past. And, yes, even back then various Americans were direly warning anyone who would listen that this was spelling America's doom.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,783,828 times
The primary problem with the image of hispanic immigrants in this country is the gangster element. If there were no hispanic gangs that were filling up our prisons, vandalizing schools, roadways and nighborhoods and selling drugs then the perception of Latin Americans being some kind of a threat wouldn't be nearly as present.

However, the unfortunate historical reality is that almost every major ethnic immigrant group through American history brought some form of organized crime with it. Whether it was home grown criminal gangs, the Jews, the Irish, the Japanese, the Chinese, the hispanics, the Italians, the Russians and so on, immigrant communities will bring the good and the bad. The press, being as it uses sensationalism to draw their audiences, blows crime all out of proportion to how much there actually is and right now hispanic gangsters are easy fodder for media exploitation.

Yeah, there have been competitive issues (the Japanese with American farmers in Northern California, for example, the Chinese in places like NYC and San Francisco, the problems that blacks and Korean-Americans have had with each other over the last 30 years, etc) and with governments being more debt ridden, the competition for financial resources right now, exacerbates ethnic competition.

Unfortunately, the Mexican-American community has been tone deaf diplomatically and seem to belligerently act as if every poor Mexican has a birthright to cross American borders with all the ills and pressures a mass influx of the undereducated and impoverished can bring. They have also overindulged the gangbanger element in the hispanic community's ranks. So they have created a lot of their own problems.

What hispanics thus need is fewer hustlers (Miguel Pulido, Tony Villaraigosa, Mike Hernandez, etc) and more real pragmatic leadership that can help manage this issue better. To not do so will only engender more enmity from American citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County