Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,673 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First time poster here. I’m so glad to have found this newsgroup, an extremely valuable source of info for our upcoming move to Orange County (thanks everyone!). I already have a general gist of what the different towns are like, but would love to obtain some additional information on particular neighborhoods...

So like many posters here, I’m looking for a neighborhood in central/southern OC. We’re moving from San Diego for our new jobs in Laguna Hills. We’re mid-30ish with no kids, renting for the next 3 or 4 years with a rental budget of ~$1700-$2400/month. Once we have children, we'll probably move/buy, but that's for another post. We know we can’t have it all, but in an ideal world our neighborhood would be within walking distance to restaurants, groceries, cafes, maybe a bookstore (if they still exist), a park, etc. A decent jogging trail, mixed housing styles, and diverse political views within the community would all be gravy.

At the town level, I suspect our best bets are San Clemente west of I-5, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach, but we’re totally open to other neighborhoods further from the ocean, too. Suggestions? Any neighborhoods near UC Irvine that cater to the grad student/assistant prof crowd? Are the beach towns universally congested with traffic/tourists during the summer months? Is commuting via the 133 from Laguna Beach agonizing? Thoughts on Dana Point near much of the commercial activity?

I’d love to hear perspectives from anyone, but especially those familiar with the neighborhoods in both OC and San Diego. Specifically, we’re now living in San Diego’s University Heights and love it, but gotta move to pay the bills. More generally, the whole Hillcrest/North Park/Normal Heights/University Heights area really appeals to us. We know it’ll be different in OC, but perhaps something exists with a similar ‘flavor’?

Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM

214 posts, read 650,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotmymantra View Post
Hello all,

First time poster here. I’m so glad to have found this newsgroup, an extremely valuable source of info for our upcoming move to Orange County (thanks everyone!). I already have a general gist of what the different towns are like, but would love to obtain some additional information on particular neighborhoods...

So like many posters here, I’m looking for a neighborhood in central/southern OC. We’re moving from San Diego for our new jobs in Laguna Hills. We’re mid-30ish with no kids, renting for the next 3 or 4 years with a rental budget of ~$1700-$2400/month. Once we have children, we'll probably move/buy, but that's for another post. We know we can’t have it all, but in an ideal world our neighborhood would be within walking distance to restaurants, groceries, cafes, maybe a bookstore (if they still exist), a park, etc. A decent jogging trail, mixed housing styles, and diverse political views within the community would all be gravy.

At the town level, I suspect our best bets are San Clemente west of I-5, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach, but we’re totally open to other neighborhoods further from the ocean, too. Suggestions? Any neighborhoods near UC Irvine that cater to the grad student/assistant prof crowd? Are the beach towns universally congested with traffic/tourists during the summer months? Is commuting via the 133 from Laguna Beach agonizing? Thoughts on Dana Point near much of the commercial activity?

I’d love to hear perspectives from anyone, but especially those familiar with the neighborhoods in both OC and San Diego. Specifically, we’re now living in San Diego’s University Heights and love it, but gotta move to pay the bills. More generally, the whole Hillcrest/North Park/Normal Heights/University Heights area really appeals to us. We know it’ll be different in OC, but perhaps something exists with a similar ‘flavor’?

Thanks so much in advance.
I was going to recommend San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, and Laguna Beach.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanCPA View Post
I was going to recommend San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, and Laguna Beach.
Where in Laguna Niguel? (I'm not too familiar with LN but for some reason I didn't envision a "main street" in LN with the types of proprietors the original poster mentioned). Meaning, isn't LN suburban with some automobile (not walkable) oriented retail (Aliso Creek/La Paz and Crown Valley/Niguel)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotmymantra View Post
an ideal world our neighborhood would be within walking distance to restaurants, groceries, cafes, maybe a bookstore (if they still exist), a park, etc.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
You could also check out the South Coast Metro area as well(Costa Mesa/Santa Ana border). Not a terrible commute to Laguna, and probably the most metropolitan if that's your kind of thing.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 AM

214 posts, read 650,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where in Laguna Niguel? (I'm not too familiar with LN but for some reason I didn't envision a "main street" in LN with the types of proprietors the original poster mentioned). Meaning, isn't LN suburban with some automobile (not walkable) oriented retail (Aliso Creek/La Paz and Crown Valley/Niguel)?
The Northeastern part of Laguna Niguel north of Crown Valley and around Moulton have several locations that have nice parks and walking trails as well as being conveniently located near shopping centers. There's really isn't a main street area in the traditional scene in Laguna Niguel, but it does have some nice topography. If you are willing to venture a little further north you might want to take a look at Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach, and even downtown Huntington Beach.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM

916 posts, read 3,699,752 times
only the beach towns will work. laguna niguel, laguna hills, etc are not walkable by the definition you have. laguna niguel, aliso, etc are very suburban and mostly tract homes, etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
check out old town tustin if you take a trip up to OC, it may be what you're looking for and not too far from laguna hills (straight shot down the 5).

Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Maybe a bit more north than where you want to go:

Downtown Huntington Beach
Sunset Beach (unicorportated)
Seal Beach

My choices would be Dana Point and Seal Beach

Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM

34 posts, read 168,399 times
Newport Beach= maybe the best place in SoCal, just sayin'.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,673 times
Thanks for all of the great responses so far! I'll definitely check these out. I know I'm being overly choosy, but that's just in order to make an informed choice five months from now. Fortunately I'm only a short drive away in San Diego and can explore OC on the weekends prior to the move.

We'll actually be working in southern OC for the next four years or so, but are likely to transfer to Fountain Valley afterwords. Then, the answer for us will seem to be a lot easier, as Belmont in Long Beach and old town Orange seem right up our alley (but then, if we have kids and are buying, the new suburban places we're avoiding now might be the ones we actively seek).

Are any of the coastal communities any more or less 'touristy' than the others? (I assume most of the interior choices are exempt from this question). Just want a few cafes, some reasonably-priced eats, and sidewalks to walk my pug.

Keep the advice coming...especially on potential non-coastal locales. The beach is great, and that's where many of the walkable districts are located, but if we can find something without the ocean cost premium, more power to us.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County