Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 19,575 times

Advertisements

My husband is from Bend originally; we lived there for 4 years before moving back to the midwest, where I am from. We are possibly going to be relocating back to Oregon for my husband's job--in the valley this time where we've never lived before.
We are looking for good schools and some sort of conservative community with strong Christian churches in the area. Affordability is always important, but having lived there, I am aware that nothing will seem "affordable" after coming from the midwest. I am putting myself out there aware that I may get some trash talk for my beliefs and what I am looking for. Please respect that you would be looking for a community that supports your beliefs as well; I would greatly appreciate any helpful responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM

398 posts, read 1,318,517 times
Hi Promise, could you tell us which valley your husband will be working in? Willamette? Rogue? Maybe tell us the city, so we can point you to a town that is a decent commute for him.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,769 times
Here's a similar (but locked) thread... that may illuminate you: San Diegan wanting to what cities are more conservative

Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
The valley is big even if just the Willamette. Commuting form Portland to Eugene isn't realistic. So, I agree...where's the job, then we can point you to close by communities.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Rural areas of Oregon tend to be more Conservative, but even then I do not feel that you're going to find places as Conservative as your midwestern towns are. But the nature of politics in Oregon means that Portland and Eugene really direct the how the State goes politically.

I think now though Environmental politics are trumping even traditional Conservative/Liberal arguments to the point Oregon is being perceived as being even more Liberal then it really is.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 AM

33 posts, read 155,379 times
Move to Sweet Home if you want a conservative town.. You just have to put up with the local yocals and roughians. I broke down in that town and was amazed how anti-liberal they were. Once you leave the cities in Oregon, its very conservative state. Surpringsly enough, lot of outer northeast Portland is conservative. Certain minority populations in those areas however skew the votes to liberal during the election, but its hard to tell. If you want a nice good conservative place where there are some good churches, go to East Gresham, Boring, Sandy.. THey got mega churches, home churches and from meeting them I felt they are as conservative as most people you will meet in the USA. Another advantage of living in Sandy is Portland is not far, nor is Mount Hood.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promise View Post
My husband is from Bend originally; we lived there for 4 years before moving back to the midwest, where I am from. We are possibly going to be relocating back to Oregon for my husband's job--in the valley this time where we've never lived before.
We are looking for good schools and some sort of conservative community with strong Christian churches in the area. Affordability is always important, but having lived there, I am aware that nothing will seem "affordable" after coming from the midwest. I am putting myself out there aware that I may get some trash talk for my beliefs and what I am looking for. Please respect that you would be looking for a community that supports your beliefs as well; I would greatly appreciate any helpful responses.
It sounds as if you are looking for some trash talk re: your beliefs. Why, in this great country of ours founded on Freedom of Religion where over 85% of the population identifies as Christian would you expect flak for having conservative Christian beliefs? Why so defensive? Here is my helpful response FWIW. This is 2009. Communities as we knew them are dying. The Internet is often the new community. As you already suspect the west side of the state is much more "do your own thing" than maybe Bend is but even Bend 2009 (I'll bet) is not like Bend 1959. My neighbors show not the slightest interest in my political, religious or social beliefs. They may be curious but there is no structure in post Cyberspace America for interactions across racial, generational or economic strata. I guess what I am saying is: of much more importance than a neighborhood whose values reflect yours is a neighborhood which will afford you and your family access to work, school and with a COL that is within your means. That in itself is a tough enough assignment without front loading the project with an (un)eccessary social component.

H

Old 11-07-2009, 02:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoni777 View Post
Once you leave the cities in Oregon, its very conservative state. ...East Gresham, Boring, Sandy.. THey got mega churches, home churches and ...they are as conservative as most people you will meet in the USA.
I agree. If you want mega-churches that projected large screen images of President Bush on the stage, we got 'em. (Somehow I doubt they are currently projecting large images of Pres. Obama).

And as previously stated by hamellr, politics in this state are driven mostly by Eugene and Portland. But there is a very large conservative and politically influential contingent in eastern Oregon.

Even Portland has conservative people and conservative churches.

If by conservative you mean you don't want to see anyone who doesn't think, dress or act as you, I doubt you'd find that anywhere on this earth. Unless you want to live in a religious, fundamentalist community and never leave. We have those groups here, too.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promise View Post
We are looking for good schools and some sort of conservative community with strong Christian churches in the area.
Most of the communities with the best schools do have strong Christian churches...Christian in the sense of mainstream denominations like Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian churches and so on. Public education is a major concern for progressives and Oregon's best public schools are in progressive strongholds: Ashland, Corvallis, Eugene and the Portland metro area.

Among the Bible-thumpers and the mega-churches that meet in auditoriums with services that are 50% multimedia entertainment, 25% feel-good emotionalism and 24% Republican party platform that is veneered over with 1% Biblical piety, public education..."government schooling"...is not viewed with much favor. They will more likely home-school their kids so that they won't be corrupted by rationalism, the scientific method and other worldly doctrines.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:16 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
OP there are many wonderful small communities here in Oregon, but you do need to give this crew on this forum some guidance....

Oregon has very low church attendance. We tend to hover between 45-50th in state rankings on that front. While there are communities such as Sublimity and Monmouth that have strong religious foundations, those things have changed as new folks moved to the area.

We have many religions here and I agree with Leis that people generally just care that you are a good person. They don't care what religion you are. Shoot my book club is like the UN for religion from atheist to Catholic. We all respect each other.

What you won't find here is an "in your face" aspect to religion which can occur in some other areas of the country. I think most mid-valleyers are very accepting of various religions. Salem is probably the most conservative of the valley cities when compared to Portland or Eugene.

OP if you are conservative that is totally fine. You will find a church that you will love here and you feel welcome. Even towns like Silverton, which has a transgender mayor, is 50% conservative, 50% not. Just understand that if you start door knocking or standing on a street corner preaching...that won't go over to well here. Oregon is a very religiously diverse state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon