Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56MercGal View Post
I would like to work at a winery,event cordinator/tasting room,etc. Also do my cartoon work on the side. Must be low crime,nice people.
That sounds like Yamhill County. Have you checked that out? McMinnville and Newberg are both attractive towns. They're small and bucolic, but Salem and Portland are just an hour's drive away.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 PM

331 posts, read 1,851,111 times
This illegal alien invasion is very serious business that no one is taking very seriously. Even our lawmakers have no idea of what will happen as these people intend to elect themselves to office. No one seems to want to look much beyond the next election.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 PM

9 posts, read 49,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
Gosh Steve, is Grants Pass becoming known as the arm pit of Oregon. If all you say is true, I would not want to live there. I do appreciate your honesty. Is there anything positive about the Rogue River Valley?
The Rogue Valley in general is a great place to make a home in Oregon. It's beautiful with lots to do, and Grants Pass is no exception. The Rogue runs through the center of it, and everyone who's done it (including me) will highly recommend the Hellgate Jetboat Excursions based there.

Unfortunately, as stated before, Josephine Co. is largely poor, uneducated, and struggling with all sorts of social problems, meth production and addiction being near the top of the list. See: Cave Junction. Talk about an armpit. I don't think a single family tree in that town ever forked.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:14 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Notice that Happ gives his location as LA.After reading his comments,that figures.Cant help wondering which subversive organizations he belongs to;La Raza,MECHa,or both?Sounds like a supporter of "ReConquista" and the absurd notion of Atzalan.Believers in this nonsense badly need a crash course in the history of the US Southwest,California,and Mexico.For those unfamiliar with some of these terms,La Raza and MECHa are the brown equivilent of the KKK or the Nazi Party.The current Lieutenent governor,leader of the assembly,and the mayor of Los Angeles are California elected officials that are members of MECHa.None have publicly disavowed the ideals or goals of this virulently racist organization.
You witlessly illustrate a prime example of why Oregon can be very unappealing to Californians [unless afflicted with your handicapped bigoted little brain].

We may be pretentious but you can't accuse Californians of simplicity unlike what is articulated on this forum.

Blackshoe, tell us you didn't vote for bush twice!!

[mod cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-19-2006 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: name calling not allowed, when we find it, we cut it

Old 09-14-2006, 11:54 PM

7 posts, read 46,177 times
Default New fence along border

Well,at least they finally built part of a fence along the border and the crime in San Diego went down 50%! That's what I was told by a freind of mine this week.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 46,177 times
Talking How about Bend?

Unfortunately, as stated before, Josephine Co. is largely poor, uneducated, and struggling with all sorts of social problems, meth production and addiction being near the top of the list. See: Cave Junction. Talk about an armpit. I don't think a single family tree in that town ever forked. [/quote]

My boyfreind and I are starting to look at the Bend/La Pine area. We drove thru it in my 56' Mercury wagon (to see how reliable it would be when we move!) It was beautiful! Love the snow! The mountains and the people in Bend are awesome! Great restaurants too! Are there places nearby within 15-25 miles that are good to rent a home for a while? He's a copier tech and Pacific Automation has a location there as well as Medford,but Bend's nicer! A few hicks is fine. NO meth! I used to go for ride alongs in the L.A. area a few years back when I was taking art school down there. Was working on a crime prevention book for kids,saw what that crap does to people! And the enviroment! Not to sound racist as I've been called on this forum,but here in Salinas,I do get tired of seeing Mexicans flying the MExican flag on the harvesters,the hood of their cars and houses. I don't see ANY other cultural group flying their nation's flag or insisting English speaking people speak their language. I know if I go to Germany,I better learn German or I won't get anywhere,it shows respect to the new country your'e immigrating to by learning it's main language,here it is now English,we have FREE classes in it,how hard can it be? Seems like 80% of the Mexicans who come into our shop can't write a check so I have to write it for them or speak English and they don't have a driver's licsence (oops,can't spell tonight) and they've been here for years! Everyone else from other countries I've known bust their butt to learn our laws,language,proud to fly the American flag and call themselves Americans,while celebrating their own culture. Which is great! I have NO problem with that. But it seems the Hispanics want us to assimulate into THEIR culture,learn their Spanish and even though many here Illegally,give them the same rights and privelages as American citizens? That's where I have a problem,especially when I saw these people burn our flag during the marches,fly the Mexican flag above our own and upside down,which constitutes an invasion and shouting VIVA MEXICO? That sounds like an invasion to me. Please someone explain that! Thank you

Old 09-16-2006, 01:12 PM

30 posts, read 272,510 times
Default hey 56mercgal

I moved to GP about a year ago but I will be leaving the area soon. This area did not live up to my expectations. It is growing too fast and crime is in the increase. Just a week ago today there was a fatal shooting downtown. It's not the town it used to be. For that matter, which one is?
There aren't too many Mexicans here as there is not alot of agriculture in the area. I know you're from California and most of the people moving here are from CA.
The area has a good year-round climate. The colder months can bring lots of fog, though.
Also, if you're looking for work, the payscale here sucks, although OR's minimum wage will be increasing to $7.80/hr the first of the year.
Anyway, good luck on your search for Paradise!

Old 09-16-2006, 02:22 PM

8 posts, read 73,168 times
I've been reading through your thread....and it is thought provoking. Here are some of my random thoughts....I apologize in advance if I step on toes, just take it all with a grain of salt:
I am a native Californian, and have posted earlier today on other threads that I have lived in CA OR WA and HI but never off the Pacific Rim. I have been noticing the trend of bigotry that has been taking over my thinking of late. I don't like it and try to fight this thought process. However, here are some the the things that have happened that fuel the feeling. When my child was in elementary school he was subjected to unbearable teasing and exclusion from the predominantly Hispanic culture at his school. He is very sensitive and sweet and this experience has caused him a great deal of personal angst. There is more...I noticed in the 80's that most of the jobs that I qualified for at the time were going to the Hispanic women because being bilingual was an advantage to the employers. Also, of course they would work for less. Once when I was riding a city bus I sat next to an older Hispanic woman. During the entire ride she sat there with her middle finger out pointing it at me, while a couple of men sitting opposite sat there laughing and gesturing at me in Spanish. My daughter had a Hispanic friend or two growing up, however they often referred to her as the 'fat girl' in Spanish until we knew what they were saying. The list could go on....but why? Suffice it to say, that they come here illegally and then treat us with great disrespect. What would happen to us if we went to Mexico and behaved that way? I have had friends that are Latino and they were wonderful people so of course it's not everyone...we all know that. But we were always outsiders.
Here's the odd thing: I myself have been mistaken for Latino. I am half Italian and from the CA sun I am very dark. So it has nothing to do with an ingrained racist attitude and everything to do with experience.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,650 times
I am a retired police oficer, 31 years, (11 in LA County and 20 in Las Vegas. Trust me I know what you are going through. I travel extensively throughout Oregon as a professional speaker. I have traveled to Grants Pass since 1973 and it is a very good, modern and progressive town. But like anywhere else, it's what YOU make it. Anywhere in Oregon is better than anywhere in Calif. The hispanic population up here is mostly comprised of Mexicans from central Mexico and the Oaxaca region. They are family oriented and hard workers. Bottom line.....GET OUT OF CALIFORNIA.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Truly, I believe that posters mean no real harm but am blown away by the level of disrespect. Comments rarely encountered on just about every site I regularly visit. Talk that provokes and degrades people. Unable to accept the Spanish roots of California is both short-sighted and useless. Much of the Sacramento/San Joaquin/San Benito/Salinas/Santa Maria/San Bernardino/Imperial valleys are majority Latino counties. In Los Angeles Californios comprise the largest ethnicity.

We fully understand how the history of California is starkly unlike Oregon and most states. Mexicanos into and out of California has always been fluid since agriculture is huge; every kind of fruit/vegetable/nut/rice/cotton/figs/dates/olives/citrus/avocado/wine/etc grows in California. The state exports more perishable goods than any place in the US and globally ranks as a nation-state. Migration of people/cultures/attitudes/life-style/acceptance of the poor is a California export.

Largely spanish & catholic, California's anglo population [including myself] is more fully integrated and apprecative of all our diverse citizens.

Ecomonic investment in Mexico/Latin America will build stability. Clinton promoted such policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon