Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,344,486 times

Advertisements

My wife has a close friend she grew up with in Coos Bay from early childhood, who moved to Alaska about 35 years ago.

We are considering a bike trip this summer to Ninilchik (sp). The bike is not an issue because at 110 cubic inches and a 100 HP V-Twin, we will be able to take enough gear to enjoy the ride.

What I am wonering about is the roads and the best route. I know others who have biked it all the way with Street Bikes, and my Sister lived up there for awhile with a street bike. My wife has been there a few times but she took the ferry.

Any sugestions?

We also have an F-350 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 4X4 with a fullsize Alaskin Rated Cabover Camper. If you don't think the bike is the way to go, how are diesel prices along the way? I have never been north of Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM

After thinking about it I posted this in the Alaska Forum also. I think I may find more Alaskins who have made the trip than Oregonians.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:18 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
I was researching the roads for a trip up this summer myself because last time I went it was still largely unpaved and very remote in places. You had to take extra tires, extra fuel, and extra food.

From what I've found, the ALCAN is now 100% paved. BUT, the frost kills it in sections so that odds are that you will run across road construction, usually these are small sections, 100 yards or so, but a few miles at a time is not unheard of.

You can find gas about every 50 miles, repairs every 200 miles these days. If you break down on the weekends, or after hours, expect to park where you are until Monday or pay a hefty towing fee. ($5/mile was suggested in two places.) If you're going to need hotels, be sure to book them ahead of time.

Guide to the Alaska Highway by Ron Dalby was consistently said to be "the" book for this trip in multiple places. Apparently it's updated every couple of years, so be sure to get a newish version.

You might think about riding the Ferry too. Since you've got a small vehicle it might not be too bad financially.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I was researching the roads for a trip up this summer myself because last time I went it was still largely unpaved and very remote in places. You had to take extra tires, extra fuel, and extra food.

From what I've found, the ALCAN is now 100% paved. BUT, the frost kills it in sections so that odds are that you will run across road construction, usually these are small sections, 100 yards or so, but a few miles at a time is not unheard of.

You can find gas about every 50 miles, repairs every 200 miles these days. If you break down on the weekends, or after hours, expect to park where you are until Monday or pay a hefty towing fee. ($5/mile was suggested in two places.) If you're going to need hotels, be sure to book them ahead of time.

Guide to the Alaska Highway by Ron Dalby was consistently said to be "the" book for this trip in multiple places. Apparently it's updated every couple of years, so be sure to get a newish version.

You might think about riding the Ferry too. Since you've got a small vehicle it might not be too bad financially.
I looked into it last year. The toll is pretty high, but I was told we can camp on deck. It kind of defeats the purpose though. Think of all the highway you miss. And a missed highway is a missed adventure.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,188,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Any sugestions?
It can be a tiring trip on a motorcycle. It's a long journey getting to Alaska and then you still have to ride many miles to see things.

One of my old motorcycle racing buddies has one of the major motorcycle dealerships in Anchorage. Every summer, motorcycle riders who have ridden up from the lower 48 come in and want him to buy their motorcycles, or want to have them crated up and shipped back down.

Usually they are older guys like yourself. You should think twice before taking the trip.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I looked into it last year. The toll is pretty high, but I was told we can camp on deck. It kind of defeats the purpose though. Think of all the highway you miss. And a missed highway is a missed adventure.
For me it was drive up, and then ride the ferry back down. I love the Highway, but the Sea runs through my blood too.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 PM

I was doing the numbers by ferry for an MC one way and round trip. Not as bad as I thought with the "Licensed Driver Rides Free" deal.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
You can go to www.rv.net . Many members there have made trips to Alaska in their RV... There are some threads where they told their story about the trip. One lady got married up there on a glacier.

Drive Safely...

Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
We took the Alaskan Ferry from Bellingham last year. LOTS of travelers camp out on the deck, arrive early and pitch a tent under the overhang on the tail and you can be as comfortable as cabin travelers. There are facilities for 'campers', during the day everyone hangs out in the lounges.

Pack duct tape to secure your tent to the deck.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:49 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,004,304 times
Steve, riding the Al-Can on a motorcycle will be an experience you'll never forget, the condition of the roads are very good compared to years ago, the hiway is completely paved and you find amendities every 50 or so miles. I'm not sure as to the type of bike you'll be riding, just hope it is comfortable. If I were going to do it again, I'd take BC hwy 37 north, that's just do to I have never driven that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: