Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times

Advertisements

I went a googling this and somewhere in the 80s, everyone started using the word hazelnut in place of filbert. Same thing I have seen with granite, ie every polished rock slab is called granite; for that matter, people also mix up sweet potatoes and yams. Anyway...

Oregon accounts for approx. 98-99% of the "hazelnuts" produced in the United States. And we produce 3-5% of the world crop, unless someone has some other figures to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM

260 posts, read 656,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
I went a googling this and somewhere in the 80s, everyone started using the word hazelnut in place of filbert. Same thing I have seen with granite, ie every polished rock slab is called granite; for that matter, people also mix up sweet potatoes and yams. Anyway...

Oregon accounts for approx. 98-99% of the "hazelnuts" produced in the United States. And we produce 3-5% of the world crop, unless someone has some other figures to look at?
Oh, I love Filberts. Growing up in Oregon, I had almost unlimited availability.
When I moved down to California, I had to really search around to find them and are quite expensive.
Funny, when I first started looking for them I would ask if they had Filberts. Everyone would give me a blank stare and say, "who?" "Filberts, you know, little round nuts." They'd look at me like I was nuts. Finally, I would say, "also known as Hazelnuts" and they would go, "Oh, Hazelnuts!"
My husband still makes fun of me calling them Filberts. Though he never tried one until he met me. He likes them, says the taste reminds him of Coconut.

Last edited by YellowHorse; 07-01-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
As a native Californian I can tell you the word Hazelnut was around long before the 1980s. We had a lot of them around our ranch (wild) when I first came acquainted with them 50 years before that. Filberts became the name for Cultivated ones soon after that lead to them becoming popularr.

In fact the name filbert replacing hazelnut as the name increased sales. Just as a yellow apple called Bellflowers was changed to Yellow Delicious as the former name did not sell those apples but with the change of name they really started to sell.

As to yams, they are grown in Africa and are not what we call yams in this country. What we know as Yams and Sweet Potatos in the U.S. are both the same thing as red and yellow delicious are really close cousins in apples. The vegetable industry is currently starting a campaign to get rid of the name yams for them and call them all sweet potatoes which they think will increase sales. In other words, yellow and orange sweet potatoes, as red and yellow delicious helped increase the yellow apple sales.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Both names are old, it's somewhat of a regional thing on what you call them.

You Say Filberts, I Say Hazelnuts-Any Way Delicious

Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
As a native Californian I can tell you the word Hazelnut was around long before the 1980s. We had a lot of them around our ranch (wild) when I first came acquainted with them 50 years before that. Filberts became the name for Cultivated ones soon after that lead to them becoming popularr.

In fact the name filbert replacing hazelnut as the name increased sales. Just as a yellow apple called Bellflowers was changed to Yellow Delicious as the former name did not sell those apples but with the change of name they really started to sell.

As to yams, they are grown in Africa and are not what we call yams in this country. What we know as Yams and Sweet Potatos in the U.S. are both the same thing as red and yellow delicious are really close cousins in apples. The vegetable industry is currently starting a campaign to get rid of the name yams for them and call them all sweet potatoes which they think will increase sales. In other words, yellow and orange sweet potatoes, as red and yellow delicious helped increase the yellow apple sales.
No, hazelnut as a word isn't new, and that is what i ate wild as a child too. Calling what is a filbert a "hazelnut" is new and feels more like a marketing scheme to me. I rarely see filberts called filberts now!

The way I understood the yam/sweet potato deal is that they are two completely different things in real life. But what is typically sold in grocery stores as yams and sweet potatoes are in fact just different varieties of sweet potatoes. I think that is the same as what you are saying? I am not certain if I have ever had a true yam.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowHorse View Post
Oh, I love Filberts. Growing up in Oregon, I had almost unlimited availability.
When I moved down to California, I had to really search around to find them and are quite expensive.
Funny, when I first started looking for them I would ask if they had Filberts. Everyone would give me a blank stare and say, "who?" "Filberts, you know, little round nuts." They'd look at me like I was nuts. Finally, I would say, "also known as Hazelnuts" and they would go, "Oh, Hazelnuts!"
My husband still makes fun of me calling them Filberts. Though he never tried one until he met me. He likes them, says the taste reminds him of Coconut.
Yes, exactly! The word hazelnut rules now, even here in Oregon It has been awhile since i checked, but iirc, I was a bit put off by the price of filbert/hazelnuts now days. I think I was just spoiled by how many I had access to eating for free as a kid.

Same thing with cherries - we had an old orchard on the place my folks bought, and there were dozens of varieties. I'd climb up to check for ripeness, sometimes fall, get up and do some more trees, cherry juice all over me. I ate them until I was sick, then ate more. Like a cherry addict! Heck, my cocker spaniel even ate them (he spit out the pits, it was funny to watch). Now I usually only see a couple of varieties in the stores, they are spendy and not always the best quality so I usually pass them up.

I'd love to be snacking on a big old plate full of filberts and a dozen different kind of cherries right now - that is like candy to me.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Sherm's carries yams at times during the year, I think mostly around the holidays. They cut them into chunks because a whole yam is more than most people want to deal with. Like beets, they are tough to peel unless you heat the skin first.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
I happen to have the unabridged Oxford English Dictionary on CD-ROM.

It says the word hazelnut dates back to the year 725: c 725 Corpus Gloss. 33 Abelena, haeselhnutu.

And filbert only back to 1292: 1292 Britton ii. xxiv. §1 Et as foiles, et as flours (v.r. e a philbers).

So I guess the word hazelnut came first.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Yes, the word hazelnut came first, and they were also called cobnuts depending on the area of Europe. The word "filbert" was used to honor St. Philbert, a French saint. As the story goes, the day of St. Philbert's feast was in late August, which is also the peak of harvest time for hazelnuts. So people started applying the saint's name to the nuts that were in season on his feast day.

Here is the USA, the term filbert is regional, though growers often say they grow filberts and sell hazelnuts. But it seems the term filbert is falling out of favor in the regions it use to be popular. I have switched to using the term hazelnut here in California, but I do still use filbert when visiting family in Oregon.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Correct. Filberts are Cultured and Wild are Hazelnut. Not to be confused with Witch Hazel.
When I was taking plant taxonomy as a botany minor we were taught that the filbert is a distinct species of hazel, found only in parts of Europe and the Middle East, which Wikipedia confirms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corylus_maxima\

"The filbert is similar to the related common hazel, C. avellana, differing in having the nut more fully enclosed by the tubular involucre." An involucre is a series of bracts around the base of a flower; if you look at a lot of Asteraceae blooms you'll see some whorls of small green leaf-life structures around the base of the ray flowers, and those comprise the involucre.

I have no doubt, though, that since most people don't know beans about technical botany that many people use the term filbert incorrectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon