Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:15 AM

44 posts, read 99,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
That area along US199 is really beautiful, IMO. But are you ever concerned about crime and the lack of law enforcement?
I am, but I'm out of town a bit and away from the road. Between my dogs, fencing, shotgun, and lack of anything worth stealing, I'm not really a target worth the trouble. But yes, that is the downside of JoCo. I have an inherent hope that things will have to get better otherwise the good citizens are eventually going to start organizing posses and lynch mobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 01:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
From the Mail Tribune (behind a paywall so a brief quote), about a man who had mostly filled a shipping container with stolen items and was finally arrested by the Grants Pass police when they finally tied him in to a crime that occurred in the city - because the county was too short-handed to arrest him and had no jail cell for him if they did.

Quote:
Police got a break in the case after Harp was found in a vehicle allegedly stolen from a home burglarized in the city. City police also got tips from the sheriff's office and then tried to home in on Harp. "We were trying to get that link to the city so we could assist with his crime wave," Moran said."We had been getting info that he was trying to intentionally avoid the city," Moran continued. "He was skirting the city."
Items found include guns, soap, gold mining dredge - News - MailTribune.com - Medford, OR

JoCo voters reject any kind of levy or tax to pay for sheriff/police/jail cells, so the state is sending in extra OSP officers to fill in - so everyone else in the state is paying for extra OSP patrols for JoCo.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:32 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
From the Mail Tribune (behind a paywall so a brief quote), about a man who had mostly filled a shipping container with stolen items and was finally arrested by the Grants Pass police when they finally tied him in to a crime that occurred in the city - because the county was too short-handed to arrest him and had no jail cell for him if they did.

Items found include guns, soap, gold mining dredge - News - MailTribune.com - Medford, OR

JoCo voters reject any kind of levy or tax to pay for sheriff/police/jail cells, so the state is sending in extra OSP officers to fill in - so everyone else in the state is paying for extra OSP patrols for JoCo.
Seriously? That is so pathetic. And they all whine about the mexican cartels growing weed. Must be some way that osp can bill the county?

Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Seriously? That is so pathetic. And they all whine about the mexican cartels growing weed. Must be some way that osp can bill the county?
They could try billing but I doubt they would be able to collect. There's a reason that property tax rates are so low there.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:42 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
This listing is just steps away from the regional hospital, important in retirement, lots of shopping also and nearby mountains.

495 Bowmont Cir, Medford, OR 97504 - 3 beds 2 baths home details - realtor.com®

Old 03-21-2016, 05:36 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
I personally wouldn't buy or live in Josephine County. The "No Tax" issue is way too extreme for me, but it is reflective of the majority there.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I personally wouldn't buy or live in Josephine County. The "No Tax" issue is way too extreme for me, but it is reflective of the majority there.

Agreed.

When I moved to southern Oregon my insurance man (who use to be a policeman down there) said DO NOT move out towards Cave Junction and the surrounding areas in Josephine County. He said it is extremely dangerous. Grants Pass has money for police, but rural Josephine is full of criminals that go there because they know there is no law enforcement... and he wasn't talking petty theft, more like murder.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:18 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
Agreed.

When I moved to southern Oregon my insurance man (who use to be a policeman down there) said DO NOT move out towards Cave Junction and the surrounding areas in Josephine County. He said it is extremely dangerous. Grants Pass has money for police, but rural Josephine is full of criminals that go there because they know there is no law enforcement... and he wasn't talking petty theft, more like murder.

Agree. And remember when the majority even in Grants Pass defunded and closed their libraries? That too is a reflection of that county.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:22 PM

329 posts, read 470,878 times
oh No!! Grants Pass and surrounding areas was becoming high on my list to move to....

Old 03-28-2016, 08:58 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
In Grants Pass, recently a Winco grocery store was built & opened across from Walmart Superstore & Fred Meyer.

Recently another drive-thru Subway was opened & another Carl's Jr was relocated in GP.

We live in the mountains but have done our shopping in Grants Pass, about six lustrum. Over the years we have met many good, kind, caring, loving folks. They are proud of where they live.

There are good & bad in any town or area.

http://web.thedailycourier.com/web_cam_2/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon