Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 6,041 times

Advertisements

Willamina. Beautiful area , Parks, forest, history, kind people, half hour to coast or Salem .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,217 times
Default Great discussion

As someone who also may retire in OR in the next few years, I read this discussion with interest and feel I really learned a lot about many of the areas I'm interested in. Just wanted to thank the posters for all the good info!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:09 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
My husband and I fell in love with Oregon last summer while attending our daughters wedding.. She is by Portland and our son is moving this summer with his wife to Medford..
Our plans are to move in 2 yrs when husband can retire. We will have about 225K for a house..So small is fine..
I have spent hundreds of hours on the internet looking at places in Oregon.. my head is spinning.. We are going to spend a week there in June but want to know where to go looking at ..

This is what we are looking for....
House surrounded by trees..Kinda a wooded or forest feeling.Huge yard or 1/4 acre if possible.. We would love to see wild life in our yard, so maybe a small cabin.. "We would love to be close to lakes.. We love to kayak and would love to get a small boat too..
We don't mind the rain or cold, just not too much snow.. I think few inches are fine, but want to feel like I can still drive to town if needed and not be stuck..
We are not interested in the coast..
We want green and trees all around us and not near the desert..
Some nice walking trails..
We want to be about 10-15 miles out of town.. I still want to be able to go and shop and eat out. And near a hospital for " the later years".. ha ha..
So that where I get confused.. Are there towns that are foresty without being all the way up in the mountains??
Oh and we need internet.. its a must.. so not to "rural"
Thank YOU so very much.. I would love to find out perfect little spot we can live out the rest of our golden years.. well we are only in our 50's, but don't want to move again .. ♥
There are quite a lot of communities that would fit this description at that price point. Basically, look anywhere starting about 45 miles out from Portland city centre.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:37 PM

329 posts, read 470,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarr4000 View Post
As someone who also may retire in OR in the next few years, I read this discussion with interest and feel I really learned a lot about many of the areas I'm interested in. Just wanted to thank the posters for all the good info!
I agree, thank you all ♥

Old 05-05-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Kendall View Post
Willamina. Beautiful area , Parks, forest, history, kind people, half hour to coast or Salem .
that is for sure on my list, thank you ♥

Old 07-06-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Consider Oakridge. Sounds like it might be a really good fit for you (although you might find it too mountainous). Also, look at the Sweet Home area, maybe out by Foster Lake. Both are in the foothills of the Cascades but not "all the way up in the mountains." You might also look the other side of I-5 toward Monmouth, maybe Willamina.
tini
loved Foster Lake and Sweet Home was nice///checking out Oakridge tomorow.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
tini
loved Foster Lake and Sweet Home was nice///checking out Oakridge tomorow.

Doesn't Sweet Home have a drug problem? Maybe others can chime in. Enjoy your time here!

Old 07-09-2016, 12:34 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
Unfortunately Oregon as a whole has a drug problem.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:11 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Unfortunately Oregon as a whole has a drug problem.
Unfortunately, the entire country has a drug problem.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:31 AM

just got back from a week driving all over Oregon.. its BEAUTIFUL!! can't wait to move there next year.click the link below and can see the map of where we went to ♥
Therese Marie Photography
After traveling all week, it seems the best fit for us is Cottage Grove...it has that home town feel but its close enough to Eugene .. love all the trees and the Dorena Lake and Cottage Grove lakes are amazing.. ♥
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon