Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:06 PM

10 posts, read 23,974 times

Advertisements

My family and I just spent 3 wonerful days in coos bay. We are looking to relocate. Over the last 2 years life here and Nor Cali has taken a turn for the worse and we need a fresh start. Due to and unforseen death in the family it took all that we had financially and caused us to loose our home. The cost of living here is through the roof and our kids are at risk with the gang and drug situation here. Are there any encouraging words of advice out there for us???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 01:08 PM

103 posts, read 523,951 times
Keep your head up. And go ahead and move. A fresh start is always an adventure. Make it fun. I'm making my way there too, with only the shirt on my back.

62 days and counting

Old 04-13-2008, 06:17 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Good luck to those of you who are moving. I know I like it here in the bay area.
Look into a rental ahead of time. It'll be best if you can bring money or get a job first.
During summer I usually see Help Wanted signs up around town. Those signs would mostly be for small stores or fast food. You may have to take a less than desired job to start out here.
I just read in the newspaper that unemployment in Coos county is 8%. Still those who want jobs usually find something.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:08 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
we made the move here to Coos Bay 5 yrs ago. I didnt want to move here at first! We rented for the first 4yrs, then were able to buy our house last summer. We have 3 kids ranging from Kg. through JrHigh and they are all doing well and thriving.They were my biggest concern w/moving here. I had heard the schools were terrible and the kids would be stuck indoors due to the almost constant rain/wind. Well, those woes were untrue! My kids are right on target w/the schools across the board, they get outside and play in beautiful weather plenty. Id keep an eye out on the local newspaper, you can go online at Theworldlink.com also, check out Southcoastshopper.com You can check out jobs on the oregon employment page at Employment.oregon.gov go to "job seekers" link, then" browse Oregon job listings" link and click on location, you can narrow it down to Coos Bay/North Bend.
Anyhow, like i said before, we made the move here and are thrilled with it. My biggest gripe is the weather....its too mellow for my taste! lol Id love a good foot of snow for a few days each year, and a couple great rousing storms...the bulk of that just always seems to barely miss us for the most part. We get the winds big enough to knock over my garbage cans, while the rest of the state is newsworthy...sigh...
Best of luck to you, and if you have any specific questions, post away, hopefully some of us that actually live here in Coos bay can give you some help.
Tiffany

Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 AM

Thank you or your welcoming replies. We are looking into rentals now and are hoping that we will find a home soon. The sooner the better. Are there any places in Coos bay that we should steer clear of since we have children? What other words of advise do you have that would be of great benefit?

Thanks again

Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM

well, for one, put Coos Bay in the Search option, theres a couple threads dedicated to Coos Bay/North Bend you should find some good infor on.
Id steer clear from the Empire area for the most part. The rest, you can pretty much tell from what it looks like that its kinda scary and not so good. Will you be doing your rental search via internet/phone, or in person? If you want, as you find rentals, ask about the general neighborhood, and we can give you opinions. Not specific addys of course, I know that can be giving out TMI, but a general we can probably work with.
how old are your kids? Will you be utting them in the public schools or are you looking into private?
best of luck on the upcoming move!!! how exciting!
Tiffany

Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Question Getting resistance

We are having a hard time finding a place in the coos bay area. It seems that when my husband and I mention that we are from Norther Cali we start getting the cold shoulder. I had not gotten that feeling while we were there for the 3 day we were visiting so I am puzzled. Are there any other area's that we mite be able to look into for a home and possibly a job for my self. I currently work for Walmart and when I called to inquire about an open position with the store in coos bay, the personel assoiciate seemed just as cold as the property management offices that we have been trying to work with. Maybe I am just reading more into this than I should be. For this I am sorry. My family and I are just looking for a fresh start in a place that we can call home. I had felt that the people in coos bay were very welcoming and encouraging when we were there. I wish I knew what happend in such a short period of time.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 PM

odd....Im sorry youre having such a difficult time!! I will plead, dont give up hope. We have some new neighbors that just moved in about a week ago, to a rental house, and theyre from S. Cal. I also just got a phone call at work from a lady who just moved here, again, from S. Cal and was asking about some classes for her little ones. So I know others are getting here and getting settled.....
have you checked into rentals from the papers w/private owners? Or more than one rental agency?
I know theres a job fair coming up here in aweek or so, any way of coming to that and scaring up an interview or two?
As for the WalMart, I will say this....we've delt w/the manager there before and the lady we spoke w/was quite rude and abrupt. My husband tried dealing w/her too, and he ended up storming out of there!! Now we're both native Oregonians w/at least 3 generations here, my husbands family has been in this direct area since the 1800s, and she was still a butthead, so IMO, its not that she cares where youre from...shes just one of those people. (we do actually have them here in Oregon too.lol)
Keep trying, wish I could help more....
Tiffany

Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM

how old are your kids? Will you be utting them in the public schools or are you looking into private?
best of luck on the upcoming move!!! how exciting!
Tiffany[/quote]

We have 4 kids. 3 boys and 1 girl. My oldest son is in the navy he is 20, my 18 year old is special needs and is going to have to repeat the 12th grade due to the California school systems, i have a 13 year old son who is in JR High and a daughter that is 5 and starts school this coming school year. Public school is what we are looking at.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:34 PM

we have a couple very close in age...i have a 13yr old girl, and a 6yr old girl.
We've been pleased w/their experiences at the schools here. And theyve held up to their grandparents, aunts, uncles checks who all work for some of the very desirable schools up in the Portland area. We're quite happy with how they are turning out being raised here. The local Boys and Girls club has some terrific programs especially!
man, i just did a post earlier today on our experiences w/teens here in the area and some of the activities to get em into...i just am not sure about which thread it was on! Yipes! somewhere here on the Oregon part.....
feel free to PM me,
best of luck!
tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon