Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,785 times

Advertisements

I am retiring and have chosen the Coos Bay area. I love the cool temps but hate to live with constant wind so I don't want to live directly on the ocean.
Can someone tell me if the Bandon and Coquille/Myrtle Point area might be less windy. Or is Lakeside to Reedsport a better choice. Love to hear what you have to say.

Redhead60
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
the wind gets less even a mile inland from being right on the bay/ocean. Coquille and Myrtle Point both have warmer temps and less wind.
We went from being right on the bay/ocean front, to being about a mile or so inland and did notice it was much less windy...of course, theres still those days!......

Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
I have friends that live about 5 miles east of Coos Bay and they hardly get any wind and it is warmer. I lived in Coquille and it is warmer and less windy. Bandon is windy. Any place on the coast, if you move in land a few miles, you will have alot less wind and it will be warmer.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,290 times
Well I recomend Coquille or Myrtle Point, my wife and I just moveded to Myrtle Point Sept of 08 and just love it up here.

Watch the weather just north of Coos Bay it gets a lot of rain and windy snow etc. if you watch the weather reports there is a line about 50 miles north of Coos Bay and north of that line the weather can get real bad.

Myrtle Point is a older town not much in the town and not much to do. Two hardware stores two markets. Places to eat are three one thats mexican. Whoops four there is a A and W up here.

Turckeys running all over the place (not up town) but in my frount yard. All kinds of wild life just 2-3 mins. away.

Anyway if you want more info send e-mail to skip@mycomspan.com

Have a nice on.

Skip

Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Bandon is definately windy, as the others have already said. If you're in to recreation activities such as fishing and dune riding or to live somewhat near the beach for walking, Reedsport and Lakeside areas are for you. Coquille and Myrtle Point areas are more inland with a small country town and gardening flair about them.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,951 times
Bandon is only windy if you're near the ocean. I live in Bandon, on the east side of hwy 101 and don't get much wind at all. Because of our location the wind goes right over the top of us. Coquille and Myrtle point are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Smile Wind protective clothing???

Like others, I am considering the Oregon coast for retirement. The rugged beauty, live and let live philosophy, and unhurried life style that I have experienced on my visits to the area make it a no-brainer first choice.

And--in general, I like stormy weather--the more "sturm and drang", the better. But I'm also wondering--for days I may want/need to be out and about--what's the best kind of clothing for particularly good protection against high wind? I know there are rain suits which are very good at keeping one dry. Same thing for wind --or something better? --I'm just guessing there are some experts along the coast!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:09 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
we use Columbia jackets and all. For the kids, if its a nasty day and we need to be out and about, (like actually outside, not just to go around on errands) they all have waterproof lined pants they can pull on over their jeans.
My mom lives in Bend, and when they are in the really cold nasty weather, she has lined pants she got thru Eddie Bauer. They pretty much like regular pants, but they are insulated and she swears by them.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:44 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
What I wear, lol...layers! Beach attire is: Columbia wind/rain resistant jacket (with a hood in case of rain) over a hoodie over tee, jeans, sock hat (to hold hair in place during wind) under my hood, and either Nike athletic shoes or LLBean rubber shoes. I'm out in the elements. Around town attire is: jeans, hoodie, sandals.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead60 View Post
I am retiring and have chosen the Coos Bay area. I love the cool temps but hate to live with constant wind so I don't want to live directly on the ocean.
Can someone tell me if the Bandon and Coquille/Myrtle Point area might be less windy. Or is Lakeside to Reedsport a better choice. Love to hear what you have to say.

Redhead60
Reedsport is rarely windy as it is set back from the ocean. Winchester Bay, on the other hand, being right on the ocean, is very windy as is Coos Bay, Bandon and Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon