Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times

Advertisements

There are pleanty of white people who live in the part of Apopka - near Wekiva Springs. You should be able to find something in that price range.

You people from New York are really something else. I don't get what you were thinking when you, a white northerner, moved into a primarily black southern neighborhood. "Play Dates"??? You are not one of them, and never will be. Many of the Blacks who live in Apopka come from families that go back many generations in that area. That is their land, their neighborhoods, their politics. This the South - it ain't New York City! Not the "melting pot of America" down here. Many of us here are southern. Our families go back many generations. Blacks and whites were segregated in the South for many years, and in many places they still are, by choice. Eatonville is the oldest all Black city, and for the most part it is still all Black, and they are quite proud of that. White people don't generally move there. Nor do they generally move to South Apopka, if they can afford $300,000 - 400,000 houses.

Also, the Blacks have had white developers go in and raid their neighborhoods in some areas - it happened in Winter Park. That's a problem for some of them. They don't want to be shoved out of their neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 04:42 PM

8 posts, read 61,982 times
I grew up in NYC, but left when I was 15. The neighborhood i live in is newer. The problem is that this particular builder did most of his advertising out of state. Most of the homes in my neighborhood were purchased by non-southerners. My home cost over $300K and the neighborhood is only about 20% white. It isn't in south Apopka. It is north of Welch Road.

I hate that "your not one of them" mentality. That is one of the things I didn't like about our old neighborhood. When a new black family moved in I invited the Mom down to the cul-de-sac where all the Mom's hung out. But it was so obvious that some didn't want her there.

So, I don't like the problem, but I can't fix it either. That is why I am looking for a mostly white neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:43 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
cfMom, you do not have to explain yourself. If you take a peek into the Phoenix forum - you will see that the AA community is requesting AA hairstylists, AA churches, AA neighborhoods, etc. There is nothing wrong with anyone having a preference - AA or white - both races have their preferences and freedoms to choose. You wish to raise your children in a predominantly white area, as do I. That does not make you a racist. There are AA's that wish to raise their children in predominantly AA areas as well. It's all good.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:51 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Oviedo is a nice area- I would agree with the earlier comment on that. I went to school at UCF and on my off days, I would shop at the Oveido mall. Very quiet, suburban-like and full of moms pushing baby strollers during the day! Sounds like what you are looking for. It never 'felt' like Orlando- it seemed a little removed from it. But then again, Im not a resident but that's just the impression I got.

People choose to live in areas that they are comfortable in. As far as your statement about the moms not letting you in- have you tried? Is it more than just the fact that they won't let you in? Live where ever it is that makes you happy, thats what I think.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:38 PM

21 posts, read 128,472 times
Default Preferences...

I vote for Oviedo(live oak reserve).
I need plenty of playdates from my 7 and 12 years old. It is still somewhat affordable. Note that Oviedo is 75% caucasians, 10-12% hispanics, about 8-9% African-Americans and whatever else counts as others. It is nicely proportion to my liking. Some prefer it 90-95% white. Seminole county seems the county here for moms and dads. Do some research and then decide. That's what this website is for. In fact you can even narrow you search to most or less diverse towns or cities. Also check out the percentage of graduates and non-graduates living the area. Check out your schools as well. I am stocked with a beautiful house, right neighborhood but a not so favorable school district as in(heathrow) near lake mary.

for some It is for the most part a matter of who you are, how you carry yourself, what you think or make of yourself more so than a race matter. I myself favor a middle to higher class community with "good" flavor to it. The more educated the individual is the more they become aware and acceptable of the differences. Be very wise with this move and try not to be a repeated offender. Life is full of surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfMom View Post
I grew up in NYC, but left when I was 15. The neighborhood i live in is newer. The problem is that this particular builder did most of his advertising out of state. Most of the homes in my neighborhood were purchased by non-southerners. My home cost over $300K and the neighborhood is only about 20% white. It isn't in south Apopka. It is north of Welch Road.

I hate that "your not one of them" mentality. That is one of the things I didn't like about our old neighborhood. When a new black family moved in I invited the Mom down to the cul-de-sac where all the Mom's hung out. But it was so obvious that some didn't want her there.

So, I don't like the problem, but I can't fix it either. That is why I am looking for a mostly white neighborhood.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:49 PM

170 posts, read 571,291 times
A town that is 20% white isn't exactly racially diverse. Racial diversity is important when raising kids to be tolerant, but when there is a high percentage of one race, the minorities, whether white, black or hispanic, do tend to get left out. I like the suggestions that you have received.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Racial diversity is a crock. Live where you have something in common with the people you live near. Different people have different backgrounds, morals, standards etc...

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Racial diversity is a crock. Live where you have something in common with the people you live near. Different people have different backgrounds, morals, standards etc...
Exactly, people love to say racial diversity in a dreamy tone of voice as if imagining some fantasy world, which it primarily it is. I lived in the Northeast US for many years and would giggle a little when people seeking that "diversity" would move into an area where they might be part of the 25%-30% minority and have the proverbial bucket of ice water dumped on them when they realized it wasn't really that perfect after having their car/house broken into or worse yet, mugged walking home from work. Two years later they'd be living in suburbia with the spin of we gave it a whirl and it was interesting..

Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 PM

18 posts, read 34,350 times
Do not feel shamed by anyone telling you they don't like what you are asking. Everyone has their own reasons and why they choose to live where they want. I left FL 10 years ago because frankly I didn't want to speak Spanish and I didn't like the schools. That's all I need to say about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando