U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,109,306 times
Reputation: 12971

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Ok. Lol.

Difference of opinions I guess.... it's like one time on this forum when someone told me Asheville is not known for their food and wine, and music culture... and that's very much what Asheville is known for... Sometimes you gotta take what people say with a grain of salt.
I recently ate at what is considered one of the top restaurants in Asheville. It was good, but not even close to some of the ones we've got around here. (Victoria and Alberts, Antonio's, Norman's to start) Service was particularly lacking--in fact our server wouldn't have made it as a busser at Luma, which has good, but not Michelin level service.

The wine scene is mostly based around NC wines. I haven't had one yet that was even close to drinkable. So let them have their little scene in their provincial way. Those of us who really know food and wine know better and will head to real food and wine towns, and they ain't Asheville.

And music culture? Maybe if you like country. I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 5,742,324 times
Reputation: 3361
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I recently ate at what is considered one of the top restaurants in Asheville. It was good, but not even close to some of the ones we've got around here. (Victoria and Alberts, Antonio's, Norman's to start) Service was particularly lacking--in fact our server wouldn't have made it as a busser at Luma, which has good, but not Michelin level service.

The wine scene is mostly based around NC wines. I haven't had one yet that was even close to drinkable. So let them have their little scene in their provincial way. Those of us who really know food and wine know better and will head to real food and wine towns, and they ain't Asheville.

And music culture? Maybe if you like country. I don't.

LOL, you obviously don't know much about Asheville. Not trying to be rude, but I live here, and have been here (living here) twice now and spent a total of about 13 yrs here...Maybe if you like country? Are you serious? Are you sure you've been to Asheville? Clermont and Minneola would be the place to find country music, not Asheville. Asheville is little San Fran. Literally, in every way. The Asheville area is mainly made up of NY'ers, Floridians, and folks from the Pac NW. You can't walk around AVL and not meet someone from Seattle or Portland... hardly the "country" type.


June 2008: named 2nd in cities with 100,000 people or less for Arts.

May 2007: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tosranked Asheville as number seven among their analysis of more than 400 metro areas in the U.S. and Canada. Asheville was ranked on the following criteria: economy and jobs, cost of living, climate, education, health and healthcare, crime, transportation, leisure, arts and culture, and overall quality of life.

Asheville was just named "Beer City" as well. We have the best breweries in the nation. C'mon, Clermont is nice but let's not get carried away and compare the food and music culture to Asheville. That'd be silly.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 07:26 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,109,306 times
Reputation: 12971
I'm not comparing Clermont to Asheville but rather the greater Orlando area. You are comparing apples to oranges, as the city of Orlando is three times the population of Asheville and the greater Orlando metro area is 20 times the population and would be in a completely different rating demographic. I'm not saying the greater Orlando area is perfect, but again, you are comparing apples to oranges.

By the way, you obviously don't know much about teh music scene here, but I assure you I have some expertise in the area, and this is a rock 'n roll town. (You want country, head to Leesburg.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 5,742,324 times
Reputation: 3361
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm not comparing Clermont to Asheville but rather the greater Orlando area. You are comparing apples to oranges, as the city of Orlando is three times the population of Asheville and the greater Orlando metro area is 20 times the population and would be in a completely different rating demographic. I'm not saying the greater Orlando area is perfect, but again, you are comparing apples to oranges.

By the way, you obviously don't know much about teh music scene here, but I assure you I have some expertise in the area, and this is a rock 'n roll town. (You want country, head to Leesburg.)

Ok, I coulda' sworn you were comparing Clermont's music and wine scene to Asheville's. Now if you're comparing the food and wine scene of the entire Orlando Metro to Asheville's, that would be far more fair.

But, you suggesting that Asheville's wine and music culture is weak, or that "country" music is king in Asheville, shows that you dont know much about Asheville. Just ask around (in your area) about Asheville, they'll tell you. If you ask enough people (maybe 6 or 7), you'll meet some that are moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,109,306 times
Reputation: 12971
It's not fair to try to compare Clermont to Asheville either. 20-some thousand people to almost 100K? At least be fair about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 5,742,324 times
Reputation: 3361
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's not fair to try to compare Clermont to Asheville either. 20-some thousand people to almost 100K? At least be fair about it.

Asheville pop. is about 60k. Buncombe Co is about 280k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,512,486 times
Reputation: 4938
Why would the OP come to the Orlando forum asking about Conservative towns since Orlando is quite Liberal? I would say Jax and the rural areas and definately the Panhandle. Oh and Florida hasn't been a Red state in a while since it's mostly Purple now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 5,742,324 times
Reputation: 3361
Because there are areas in the metro area that are definitely conservative. That's what the OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top