Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 PM

11 posts, read 38,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I vaguely remember Golden Triangle. What the heck kind of store was that anyway? Wasn't that same location a Leeds as well? And didn't Leeds become Service Merchandise?
Leeds was on Mercy Dr, north of Colonial and I think they did become Service Merchandise! The Golden Triangle was on the corner of Colonial and Maguire, there was a store called Millers there before that! There was also a Millers on OBT and Holden Ave. We had our 61 Chevy stolen there one time in the mid 60's while we were shopping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Orlando RTC.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,781 times
There was also a Leeds at the corner of Hwy 436 and Hwy 17-92 in Casselberry. It also became a Service Merchandise. Originally it was a Montgomery Ward. Now it is just an abandoned building.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,678 times
The only thing I stayed long enough for was...

"PLUUUUUUS!!!..................................... .....SAME DAY DELIVERY!"

I think that will stay with me forever.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:43 AM

37 posts, read 123,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
The only thing I stayed long enough for was...

"PLUUUUUUS!!!..................................... .....SAME DAY DELIVERY!"

I think that will stay with me forever.

Did you ever "See it all and save!"? Best low-budget marketing ever next to "2, 9, 3, 0, 0, Orlando. Orlando, Orlando Family Auto Mart"...

Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 PM

36 posts, read 94,372 times
How about the S & H Green Stamp store on Hwy 50 going towards Winter Garden. My mom would get all those green stamps from Publix, stick in to a book and cash the book in for stuff like toasters and other appliances.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:46 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,781 times
There was a S&H store on 17-92 in Winter Park too; right next to the Publix. Also Winn-Dixie used to give out Top Value Stamps.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:39 PM

7 posts, read 30,132 times
Or Montgomery Ward stores!

I used to sell ads for WLOF/BJ105.

I still have an "Opening Day" ticket stub from Circus World.

What about Saint's & Sinners on Lee Rd.? (Lots of good clubs back then... but I can't remember the names of them... will have to get out my matchbook collection and get back to ya' !!!)

Good to know there's a few other Oldies But Goodies out there! LOL

Old 10-13-2008, 12:09 AM

7 posts, read 30,132 times
Default Off the wall

The building is still there... on So. OBT, around Americana. It recently was sold I believe, after being FOR SALE for a long time. It's still got the airplane stuck to the outside just like you all remember.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:45 PM

23 posts, read 117,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I been here since '89, I can remember some things.

Terror On Church Street
Club Dekkos
Woolworth McCormicks in Downtown.
Church Street Station
Colonial Plaza
Picadillys Cafeteria
The Fun Machine
Skate World
Orlando Ice Skating Palace
New York Fashion
Downtown Outlet
Church Street Exchange and Market Place
The Rainbow
Kart World
Malibu Grand Prix
Mercardos
Fun N Wheels
Riverside

I've been here since 89 as well (remember that winter?) and as soon as I read the title of this thread most of the places listed above were what came to mind. I get nostalgic when people talk about the "old" Orlando.

How about all the old Disney rides like Horizons, World of Motion, Body Wars, The Odyssey, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Spaceship Earth narrated by Walter Cronkite and they played "Tomorrow's Child" at the end.

Highway 50 where everything west of Hiawassee was orange groves. Kirkman was 2 lanes and pine trees all the way from old winter garden to I-4.

WFTV Daybreak with Natalie Allen (went on to work for CNN), Rob Strafford (reported for 20/20) and weather man Tony Williams.

The demolition of City Hall and they used the explosion in a scene from Lethal Weapon 3.

Danny Rolling Gainseville murderers had everyone shook.

Zares,
Ames,
JByrons,
Woolworth,
Phar-mor,
X-tra,
Service Merchandise,
Monkey Wards on John Young and Colonial,
Helig Meyers,
Table Supplies,
Food Lion,
Peaches

and of course SHOWBIZ PIZZA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando