Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:20 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
There's a lot of racism in this thread. It's sad. It's pointless to speculate about people who might move here. How can we possibly know if they are college educated or not? Or on SSI or not?
I find it odd they some feel Puerto Ricans will most to Orlando to tear the city a part with their poverty. They choose Orlando probably because there is already a population in place that Will support and help them. No one would move to a place that is unwelcoming. Orlando is very welcoming to them and their culture. What ever skills they had in San Juan, they can apply it. If they are better then what is established they will do ok, if they are worse then the current work force, they wont matter. Plus every major city has poor people, where there is poor there is rich managing and controling them. The "elite" here would be wise to take advantage vs whining about Quality of Life. A wise man would use them to his benefit.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I just watched a show on tv tonight about the Italians in NY/NJ complaining of the Chinese moving and taking over in their neighborhood.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Seriously what is your problem with Puerto Ricans ???
I was wondering the same thing! He has an agenda.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Well, NYers don't fly the NY flag and have special parades for NY pride. And I don't see many of the NY people you speak of, unless you mean the Nuyoricans.
I suppose you're discounting the NY sports fans who run around wearing team apparel and/or with bumperstickers on their cars, and "pride parades" represent specific all kinds of groups..much like the very NY (and Boston) Irish celebration of St Patrick's Day.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:09 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I suppose you're discounting the NY sports fans who run around wearing team apparel and/or with bumperstickers on their cars, and "pride parades" represent specific all kinds of groups..much like the very NY (and Boston) Irish celebration of St Patrick's Day.
I just don't get it: acting like a Foreign Nation when you are in the PR pride parade, but like an American citizen when you have your hands out.

And I almost never see an American flag along with the PR flag and the other mi orgullo stuff. I find that offensive. They are supposed to be part of the US.

Last edited by Joey Falcon; 07-23-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
You're in FL.

Can't we have something?
Sure - but dont knock the NY transplant pride.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I agree we could absorb a million productive new residents. But the implication on this thread is that the million people who would potentially move here from the island would all be poor and destitute looking for handouts because thats the type fleeing PR. That I do not agree with.
I dont agree with it either. Its really comical to see so many elitist type posters stating how much better they are then people from Puerto Rico. People are people, plus population growth is never a bad thing. Plus the Puerto Rican women are almost always gorgeous, so I can see why local Orlando women who are NOT Latin American would have a huge problem there. It is what it is. SILENCE FOOLS.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:34 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Sure - but dont knock the NY transplant pride.
I wouldn't if it were normal. The point is, its so overdone. It's the "going out of my way to let everyone know where I'm from" thing that gets really annoying.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I wouldn't if it were normal. The point is, its so overdone. It's the "going out of my way to let everyone know where I'm from" thing that gets really annoying.
I could understand it if they painted their cars with Yankee pinstripes or Met's blue and orange but having a baseball teams logo on a window seems pretty normal. I have a large decal on my back window in memoriam to the Americans who were murdered in the World Trade Center. It says "Never Forget" and has a silhouette of the towers. My front license plate is a NY novelty plate that says "Brooklyn" and I also have a small NY Yankees logo on the back window. To balance that out I have a "Vietnam Era Vet" decal and a "U.S. Navy Cryptologic Technician" with its rating logo.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:53 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I find it odd they some feel Puerto Ricans will most to Orlando to tear the city a part with their poverty. They choose Orlando probably because there is already a population in place that Will support and help them. No one would move to a place that is unwelcoming. Orlando is very welcoming to them and their culture. What ever skills they had in San Juan, they can apply it. If they are better then what is established they will do ok, if they are worse then the current work force, they wont matter. Plus every major city has poor people, where there is poor there is rich managing and controling them. The "elite" here would be wise to take advantage vs whining about Quality of Life. A wise man would use them to his benefit.

"I find it odd they some feel Puerto Ricans will most to Orlando to tear the city a part with their poverty."

It's not odd. Look at what happened to the cities in Connecticut and PA they moved into.

"What ever skills they had in San Juan, they can apply it. "

Most of the people there are either on welfare, or work for the bloated PR government. Few or no skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando