U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2008, 10:32 AM
 
Location: lake mary
129 posts, read 378,624 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence Dogood View Post
Charlotte also has three major sports teams. Orlando chose to build their football stadium in the middle of the ghetto so it failed to attract one and Orlando will never have NFL football. Not only does Charlotte have a much better climate because you actually get a cooling off period, but you have beautiful mountain towns that you can drive to in just a couple of hours for white water rafting, hiking, in Orlando you have to drive eight hours for change and you simply won't do it because of gas prices which means you have three choices every day of your life in Orlando: Flat, ugly, or HOT or all three. That coupled with higher crime and higher cost of living in Orlando makes Charlotte a clear choice.
Moderator cut: .. Please do your research before you reply to a post. Last time I checked, Charlotte had 2 pro teams, the Panthers and the Bobcats. NASCAR doesn't count as a pro team.

Also, Orlando didn't decide to build the stadium in the ghetto. The Citrus bowl was built back in the 1930's.

Last time I tried, I made it to the beach in about 50 minutes. Try that from Charlotte. Some people like whitewater rafting, others like to surf... I bet you do neither.

If Orlando doesn't have all the cultural amenities or sports teams you want, take the just over an hour drive to Tampa.

How long before you reach another major city the size of Tampa do you have to drive from Charlotte?

Last edited by Keeper; 05-26-2008 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Please don't call ppl idiots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,836,317 times
Reputation: 171
I think everyone has a right to their opinions. I also think everyone likes one city over the other for personal reasons. It all depends on your criteria.
We're looking to rlocate to a place where we can raise our family (2 kids) and have a good quality life....a big yard, many days of the year in it (not having to worry about it being 90+ degrees most of the year), suburban life with conveniences nearby.
I personally used to like Orlando (10 years ago). I have lived in South FLorida for 18 years, and have traveled to Orlando many times per year in those 18 years. I'm over Orlando. I haven't been to Charlotte yet, but I know I wouldn't choose Orlando. Beaches don't impress me (being 50 minutes away, or 3 hours away is not here nor there for me), I wouldn't miss them. I think I've been to the beach "maybe" 3x in the last 5 years (lol), and I live 20 minutes away. But...I hate sand, the extreme heat, and the icky ocean here (seaweed, ocean creatures, ewwwww - give me a pool and I'm happy).
So I think the OP should decide what their criteria is for moving to a particular place, and that should help a bunch.
I think property taxes here and home owners insurance are ridiculously high here (in South Florida at least), but then you have state tax in NC. I still think you make out better in NC financially, even with sales tax a little higher. To me, 1.5% higher sales tax isn't really going to make a big dent in your pocket unless you're buying a HUGE ticket item. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Lake Mary, FL & Charlotte, NC
127 posts, read 352,517 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I think everyone has a right to their opinions. I also think everyone likes one city over the other for personal reasons. It all depends on your criteria.
We're looking to rlocate to a place where we can raise our family (2 kids) and have a good quality life....a big yard, many days of the year in it (not having to worry about it being 90+ degrees most of the year), suburban life with conveniences nearby.
I personally used to like Orlando (10 years ago). I have lived in South FLorida for 18 years, and have traveled to Orlando many times per year in those 18 years. I'm over Orlando. I haven't been to Charlotte yet, but I know I wouldn't choose Orlando. Beaches don't impress me (being 50 minutes away, or 3 hours away is not here nor there for me), I wouldn't miss them. I think I've been to the beach "maybe" 3x in the last 5 years (lol), and I live 20 minutes away. But...I hate sand, the extreme heat, and the icky ocean here (seaweed, ocean creatures, ewwwww - give me a pool and I'm happy).
So I think the OP should decide what their criteria is for moving to a particular place, and that should help a bunch.
I think property taxes here and home owners insurance are ridiculously high here (in South Florida at least), but then you have state tax in NC. I still think you make out better in NC financially, even with sales tax a little higher. To me, 1.5% higher sales tax isn't really going to make a big dent in your pocket unless you're buying a HUGE ticket item. lol
Well as someone who is splitting time between both states I can tell you that you don't come out ahead. You mentioned the sales tax, but left out the income tax (which everyone seems to ignore for some reason), it takes a big bite. The hours I spent filing a state tax return alone were not worth it lol. Plus there are many other little taxes in Charlotte that come back to bite you. I mean I grew up in Taxachusetts, but I think we had it easy... Also insurance in Orlando is not nearly as bad as South Florida. And what is there to do in Charlotte? Mountains & beaches are both several hours away, and not much else going on, other than a few lakes. And summers here are no picnic either. Plus it gets cold in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Lake Mary, FL & Charlotte, NC
127 posts, read 352,517 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobie View Post
orlando? what culture? listening to spanish music on colonial doesnt constitute culture in my book! That was laughable!

orlando better economy than charlotte? once again, i am oicking my jaw up off the floor and trying to quit laughing. you my friend, need to do a google search because you obviously have your head in the sand, LOL!

orlando is still more expensive than charlotte, do a quick search on that, that is pretty easy. once again, another failed attempt. i dont know about food, but gas is cheaper in charlotte, rent is cheaper, and i'd take rednecks over all the scum that orlando has attracted over the years.

wow, overall, this previous post is possibly one of the more ridiculous i have ever seen. although i just started posting, i have read many of these posts.

charlotte was just ranked one of the top places to live, and orlando is ranked very poorly. everyone i know is either A. leaving orlando B. trying to leave or C. are planning to.
Hey you really needed to create an alternate account to keep up this mindless bashing? Your posts add nothing and you aren't accomplishing anything. Just leave Orlando already and live in peace lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 12:50 PM
 
9 posts, read 4,954 times
Reputation: 10
my post was in response to a ridiculous one. my post was on point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 01:20 PM
 
5 posts, read 9,568 times
Reputation: 12
why is this thread getting so much play? I lived is both places and really they have nothing in common. Orlando is better if your into beach,florida,games,play, ect ect Charlotte is good to raise kids and also it's more country lifestyle. I do see one thing in common is that other people from the northeast are moving to these two places in droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,836,317 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
Well as someone who is splitting time between both states I can tell you that you don't come out ahead. You mentioned the sales tax, but left out the income tax (which everyone seems to ignore for some reason), it takes a big bite. The hours I spent filing a state tax return alone were not worth it lol. Plus there are many other little taxes in Charlotte that come back to bite you. I mean I grew up in Taxachusetts, but I think we had it easy... Also insurance in Orlando is not nearly as bad as South Florida. And what is there to do in Charlotte? Mountains & beaches are both several hours away, and not much else going on, other than a few lakes. And summers here are no picnic either. Plus it gets cold in the winter.
What there is to do in Orlando may not be what the OP is looking to do.
Like us, we are over Disney....we can visit for that. We are looking for a suburban life-style where my kids can play soccer with the city, Karate, have some seasons, a big yard, and different scenery. I'm over summer majority of the year. Orlando doesn't get cold for THAT long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,836,317 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquack View Post
why is this thread getting so much play? I lived is both places and really they have nothing in common. Orlando is better if your into beach,florida,games,play, ect ect Charlotte is good to raise kids and also it's more country lifestyle. I do see one thing in common is that other people from the northeast are moving to these two places in droves.
This is what I agree with.
We choose a place to raise our kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
4 posts, read 20,152 times
Reputation: 10
I think she meant Port Charlotte, FL, not Charlotte, NC, although, I'm considering going to Charlotte, NC.

The response Crane's Rooster left (on the first page) says it all. I've lived in both places.

If she did mean Charlotte, NC, I can't say because I've yet to go there.

Last edited by mef1975; 09-24-2008 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2008, 06:49 PM
 
551 posts, read 1,339,332 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mef1975 View Post
I think she meant Port Charlotte, FL, not Charlotte, NC, although, I'm considering going to Charlotte, NC.

The response Crane's Rooster left (on the first page) says it all. I've lived in both places.

If she did mean Charlotte, NC, I can't say because I've yet to go there.
I went to college in Charlotte NC and also lived there after graduation. For me, it was boring , just nothing to do, no friends to cook for or hang out with. Charlotte has a beautiful clean uptown but the overall vibe of the city is country, slow and quiet. The population is not diverse (just white or black). It is cheap to live there and raise kids but besides that it's just boring. I would go for Orlando FL anyday if I had to choose between the 2. All the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top