Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,865,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Friday
Happy "Leon Day"

**QOTD update**
Now that summer is here I am staying up later then usual, this means I am sleeping later. So this may result in the QOTD being posted later than normal. So fear not it will be posted I just can't guarantee a time

Now back to our regularly scheduled "program"

Today's Question:

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? no

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ?very few, I don't mind the store brand at all.

Extra Credit Question:

OK fess up

Is there a TV show you keep watching even though you may say, "Why do I watch this" ? yes, the 5 p.m. national news.

Bonus Question:

Ladies: Did or do you have a charm bracelet ?

Men: Do any of the ladies in your life have a charm bracelet ?

Just for Fun:

Ok it is 6 months till Christmas, has any here started their shopping already ?um, nope!

Which utensil gets the most use in your home ? usually the fork

Today in History:
1630 - Fork introduced to American dining by Governor Winthrop
1867 - 1st barbed wire patented by Lucien B Smith of Ohio
1938 - Federal minimum wage law guarantees workers 40 cents per hour
1947 - 1st edition of Anne Frank's Diary published
1947 - Tennis shoe introduced
1953 - 1st passenger to fly commercially around the world - 100 hours

Word of the Day:
cakewalk \KEYK-wawk\ , noun;
1. Something easily accomplished.
2. A 19th-century African-American tradition in which walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes.

Today is:
National Catfish Daylove catfish
National Strawberry Parfait Dayyums
Log Cabin Day
LEON Day - LEON is NOEL spelled backwards. It means six months until Christmas
have a good weekend everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:12 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,721,224 times
Today's Question:

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand?
Yeah, I won't buy generic shampoos or chap sticks. I don't always trust generic medicine (or condoms).

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ?
Ibuprofen.

Extra Credit Question:

OK fess up

Is there a TV show you keep watching even though you may say, "Why do I watch this" ?
Yeah, that Wipeout show.

Bonus Question:

I don't think so.

Just for Fun:

Ok it is 6 months till Christmas, has any here started their shopping already ?
Hahahaha. No.
(I wait until the last minute.)

Which utensil gets the most use in your home ?
Forks. It seems they're always dirty.

Today is:
National Catfish Day
National Strawberry Parfait Day
Log Cabin Day
LEON Day - LEON is NOEL spelled backwards. It means six months until Christmas

Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,931 times
Hey all. I'm crying over split milk, literally. T-T

Today's Question:

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand?
Generally anything. Like I don't ever eat Oreos but, I'd never ever eat the knock off ones before the real ones. It just feels inferior.
Nothing I can think of, but I'm sure there's something.

Extra Credit Question:

OK fess up

Is there a TV show you keep watching even though you may say, "Why do I watch this" ?
Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, and any other Nick Jr shows. The answer is, cause there's nothing else on right now.

Bonus Question:

No, but I'd like one.

Just for Fun:

Nope, I never think about. Besides, my birthday's in 2 months, I'm more focused on that.
Fork and Spoon, and I guess knife.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Today's Question:

Yes, altho they say there isnt a difference I do notice more stems left on the store brand of canned green beans....and more hard stem ends on store brand canned tomatoes....and paper products....I usually get a name brand.
Prefer? Not really....but I do use frozen store brand veggies.

Extra Credit Question:

OK fess up
I have gotten into Oprah.....but I am selective and may shut it off.

Bonus Question:

Men: Do any of the ladies in your life have a charm bracelet ? I dont have the foggiest ...

Just for Fun:

I often get an early start but havent this year.....we seem to be getting out of the present thing...but funny you should mention.....yesterday I found a big bundle all wrapped in tissue paper.....in the back of the car.....clearly "a present". When I came in and told him there was a package in the car....he said...."oh yes.....it is our early christmas presnt" Well when I unwrapped it it is a large quilted wall hanging.....that he just loves....Me Not So Much!

It has a duck and hunting dog motif.....(I don't like hunting)......he says he loved it because he loves dogs and nature (ducks).....it sort of reminds me of wall paper that was in my bedroom at some time in my childhood...or like those walleye and buck pictures you might find in a Minnesota sportsman's lodge. It is handcrafted by a local artisan.....but why couldnt he have chosen flowers or song birds or light houses.

Believe it or not the chop sticks.....

Speaking of Chop Sticks....
On Sunday.....we are leaving for a visit back to Japan....will be gone until the last week of July.....until then, have fun answering the QOTD! Bye Bye

Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,451,543 times
Default Third time's the charm

Three. I have three charm bracelets.

I'm sure I've shared this with you Guys before, because I like them so much. I got my first charm bracelet for my 16th birthday. My Mother had put it together to represent my life up to that point, and at first, I thought it kinda hokey, but because no one else seemed to be wearing charm bracelets, the novelty appealed to me. She had maybe 6-8 silver charms on the bracelet: a baby carriage with the little sun visor-thingy on it; a rocking horse; a Teddy bear; high heels for playing dress-up; a cool bicycle with a front wheel that swiveled; a pair of roller skates with little wheels that rolled; and large charm that read Sweet Sixteen, and featured a girl playing tennis -- the ball was a pearl.

I added charms to it -- a typewriter, representing my interest in journalism; laveliers from my sorority and MR Rdslots's fraternity (yeah, we were frat rats); a rolled-up diploma when I graduated from college, and so on. As I traveled across NC, I added charms representing my trips, representing the NC coast. Occasionally, fellows I dated for any length of time would surprise me with a charm, and those are still on the bracelet. I'll smile, and say, "Oh, here's Howard. This is David. Robert. And so on. . ." I even came across a basketball in Mother's jewelry box, and when she explained it had been Dad's, given to him when he played JV basketball in school, I asked if I could add it. It has his initials and the year. Then, when I started teaching, I found I had filled the bracelet to capacity -- not a link left! -- so, I started another one, where I had left off.

Because I was working, and had a little more spending money, I could look for, and maybe afford, some cool charms: a Trojan horse that you lifted the top part off to reveal little men inside (still one of my favorites); an initial for my new last name, gardening tools, books, a sailboat. Rdslots JR came along a good ten years into the marriage, and my second bracelet was filled-out with things pertaining to her, or to the two of us, or the family -- a sweet little, old-fashioned high chair with a tray that lifts overhead; a baseball cap; soccer ball; her initial; Santa Claus; a fairy and a mermaid; charms from our mother/daughter trips to Disney World.

The third bracelet began with the new millenium, and on it, I have things from my travels with MR Rdslots, including another sailboat, sunglasses, flip-flops, palm trees, a ten-gallon hat; Toto -- not for my dog, now, but for a trip to Kansas City; a charm from our alma mater; a baseball, a cardinal, a pair of Birkies, and assorted charms from DC, our favorite place to go most trips. He has surprised me with x-rated charms (a couple in a 'telling' embrace that can be engaged, and dis-engaged), but these charms are tucked-away in little boxes in my jewelry drawer. I mean, I could just envision my sweet, elderly aunts, or MR Rdslots's somewhat staid Mother, asking to see my charms on the bracelet, and embarrassing themselves, or me, or both.

The most fun was while I was still teaching, I wore them to school quite often -- sometimes all three on my arm, if you can imagine. The kids loved it, and would ask what I thought I had invested in those charms, and I'd laugh and point out the most expensive -- the Trojan horse and the high chair with the tray feature -- but the others were usually in the under $10 range, many anywhere from $3-5. I'd jangle walking around the classroom, and felt very much like a gypsy or belly dancer, of sorts.

For one of my birthdays, my Mother followed the tradition with a gold charm bracelet, upon which she had a charm with my birth date, initials, and a tiny, tiny diamond for my birthstone. To this day, that's all that's on it. I never could justify spending the BIG bucks on gold charms. She gave Rdslots JR one when she was a girl, but I haven't seen my daughter where it much, if at all. I made a sick, sick joke one day (but that's also who I am) and told Rdslots JR that because she was an only child, she'd inherit mine, and laughed and said, "You can add the last charm, Sweetie -- an urn, and put some of my ashes in it, or a little tombstone with my initials, a tiny coffin -- better if it opened and closed -- with the date inscribed on the bottom.

She KNOWS me well, mind you, but I think it struck her as just too sick. Still, I think it's kinda funny, and very fitting,

Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Today's Question:

Hmmm.... Yeah, I buy the national brand Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Issue, the store brand ones don't have any pictures... Yeah, I read the articles too.. below each picture!

LOL.. Do I look like a shopper who spends hours scrutinizing every product he picks up?

Extra Credit Question:

OK fess up

If I ever ask myself "Why do I watch this?", then I won't watch it again.

Bonus Question:

Oh sure, all the ladies in my harem have 'em, I get 'em from those machines at the grocery store... the bracelets, not the ladies..

Just for Fun:

Ok it is 6 months till Christmas, has any here started their shopping already ? - Nah.. I'm waiting for that after Christmas sale..

Which utensil gets the most use in your home - The laptop.. Maybe the coffee mug? - Or the remote control on the TV... to turn it off! I don't know I'll have to check the usage meter on each utelsil..

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 06-25-2010 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Smile Happy Friday!

Generic brand vs. national brand?
I will seldom use generic store brands, but there may be an exception. Can't think of one though. Been burned a few times with generics.

Is there a TV show I don't know why I keep watching?
Well, we don't watch TV anymore except DVD's.
We can't even catch the news/ weather anymore since the nation went digital. Sometimes I watch news at work in the breakroom at lunch. (In our area, we are far enough north in a suburb that you must have either cable or an exterior mounted antenna to get even the local channels.) We may break down and do this in the future, but since we have decided not to generally watch TV, we decided not to incur the expense right now.

Charm bracelet?
No.

Shopping for Christmas yet?
I do have one gift for my best friend I purchased when we were on
vacation in Nashville in April.

Happy Leon Day! I love Christmas! Speaking of noel, my car is a Lincoln. A couple of years ago the L fell off on the back and I haven't had it replace. Since then I frequently say that I drive a " Christmas car!" (It has no L on it!)

Last edited by kaykay; 06-25-2010 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
Happy Friday, CDers.

Today's Question:

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand? Puffs tissues

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? kitchen trash bags

Extra Credit Question:

OK fess up

Is there a TV show you keep watching even though you may say, "Why do I watch this" ? "Snapped"

Bonus Question:

Ladies: Did or do you have a charm bracelet ? Yes

Just for Fun:

Ok it is 6 months till Christmas, has any here started their shopping already ? I have my sister and BIL's presents.

Which utensil gets the most use in your home ? Spoons

Today in History:

1630 - Fork introduced to American dining by Governor Winthrop
...and used to this very day by robbers when they say "Fork over your cash."
1867 - 1st barbed wire patented by Lucien B Smith of Ohio "The farmers and the ranchers should be friends."
1938 - Federal minimum wage law guarantees workers 40 cents per hour
1947 - 1st edition of Anne Frank's Diary published
1947 - Tennis shoe introduced
1953 - 1st passenger to fly commercially around the world - 100 hours

Word of the Day:
cakewalk \KEYK-wawk\ , noun;
1. Something easily accomplished.
2. A 19th-century African-American tradition in which walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes. Word origins are so interesting.

Today is:
National Catfish Day with slaw and hush puppies. Yummy
National Strawberry Parfait Day
Log Cabin Day
LEON Day - LEON is NOEL spelled backwards. It means six months until Christmas I had never heard this before. Neat.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:51 AM

604 posts, read 856,813 times
Hi everybody. After today I'll be out for about 6 weeks. I'm doing some intensive cramming for my comprehensive exams so my internet time is going to be seriously restricted. When I come back, though, I will be one step closer to being Dr. Kittens.

Today's Question:

JIF peanut butter (my husband's fave) and Tide detergent (my favorite).

Publix's canned vegetables are pretty good. I mostly buy fresh vegetables but I sometimes use canned as a recipe shortcut.

Extra Credit Question:

OK fess up

Yes, the news. Always the same, just happens in different parts of town: one big homicide, frequently a drive-by and/or drug related with innocent bystander the victim; corrupt local banana republic politics, chopper live-feed of a currently active police scene, SWAT callout optional; house fire due to electrical short or children playing with matches, "unthinkable" accident happens to child where parent invariably looked away for "just a second." "Celebrity" news I couldn't care less about. Weather: hot, humid, chance of rain. Sports: pro athlete arrested on South Beach for DUI/sexual assault. Local sports team makes poor trade choices but management declares "This is our year!" Thanks for watching, see you at 10.

Bonus Question:

Ladies: Did or do you have a charm bracelet ? No

Just for Fun:

No, not until August

Knives

Old 06-25-2010, 08:14 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
[quote=Karla with a K;14767498]Good morning everyone
Happy Friday
Happy "Leon Day"

**QOTD update**
Now that summer is here I am staying up later then usual, this means I am sleeping later. So this may result in the QOTD being posted later than normal. So fear not it will be posted I just can't guarantee a time

Now back to our regularly scheduled "program"

[b]Today's Question:

Do you have a item(s) that you will only use the National Brand not the Store Brand?Yes.

Are there items where you prefer the Store brand over the National brand ? No.

Extra Credit Question:

OK fess up

Is there a TV show you keep watching even though you may say, "Why do I watch this" ? We actually sat through "Wipe-Out" for the second week in a row.

Bonus Question:

Ladies: Did or do you have a charm bracelet ? Used to own one.

Just for Fun:

Ok it is 6 months till Christmas, has any here started their shopping already ? No.

Which utensil gets the most use in your home ? [ Spoons.
Have a great weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics