Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times

Advertisements

This thread brought to you just to get a chuckle (my apologies to those under 50)

I thought about the 30 years business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a Blackberry that played music, took videos, pictures and communicated with Facebook and Twitter.

I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook so that my seven kids, their spouses, 13 grandkids and 2 great grandkids could communicate with me in a modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

That was before one of my grandkids hooked me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon Tweetie and Tweeterific Tweetdeck, Tweetpix and something that sends every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting world.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in an old golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or Library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Bluetooth (which is red) phone that I am supposed to use when I drive.
I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife as everyone in the nearest 50 yards glared at me. It seems I have to take out my hearing aid to use it and I got a little loud.

I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dashboard but the lady inside was the most annoying rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes she would sarcastically say "Re-calc-ul-ating". You would think that she would be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let out a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light instead....it was not good.

When I get really lost now I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for four years now but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings just to find out it is a telemarketer calling.

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves but this sudden "Paper or Plastic"? everytime I check out just knocks me through a loop. I bought some of those reusable bags to avoid looking confused but I can never remember to take them with me.
Now I toss it back to them when they ask me "Paper or Plastic"?. I just say "Doesn't matter to me I am bi-sackual" then it is their turn to stare at me with a blank stare.

I was recently asked if I tweet......I answered No but I do toot a lot.

-unknown author but I am guessing Andy Rooney

Now laugh it was cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Love the closing thought.

I don't have a cell phone because there is no one I have to call 5-10 times a day and there is no one who needs to call me 5-10 times a day. It bugs me no end when my DIL and I take off for town together and before we even get there, she's had 2-3 calls from various kids......or her mother.....or sister......or someone. That damn phone is like an annoying kid who is constantly interrupting.

I don't Tweet and have no idea how Twitter even works. How do you get the "tweets" anyway? I keep hearing how people send out "tweets" but where do they go? To your Inbox? To your cell phone?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
CB...They go into the 'Twitter Zone'.
My life is so simple, happy, stress free, cuz I don't cell, twit, tweet, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry or drink soda pop. Life is grand, grandchildren, and free of all that distraction and electronic buzzing in my ears.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:03 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Oh Yeah!! I've been the go to tech guy in my family for years. Not these days!! I'm a dope I guess. Haven't kept up with the latest technology! That's OK computers have robbed families of so much that cell phones just don't matter any more!!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:21 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,006,642 times
I have 2 cell phones, 1 work and 1 personal. My personal cell phone is somewhere in my flight bag. I have not turned it on for at least 4 months now. I have no choice but to keep my work cell phone with me and on at all times. However it is just your basic cell phone. I can make/receive calls and with some effort I can send text messages. I was supposed to be upgraded to a Blackberry last year, but I guess they forgot. Maybe I will remind them when I go to the home office next January. Then again maybe I won't remind them. I like keeping things simple. All of the rest of the things such as Facebook or tweeting have no place in my life.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:27 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
CB...They go into the 'Twitter Zone'.
My life is so simple, happy, stress free, cuz I don't cell, twit, tweet, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry or drink soda pop. Life is grand, grandchildren, and free of all that distraction and electronic buzzing in my ears.
Thanks, nitram. And how do you access your "Twitter Zone"? Is that your Twitter page? You go to your "Twitter Zone" on your computer? Is it like your Facebook page? I admit that I have Facebook but might go to my FB page once a month (if that much) and read the postings from friends and family.

My life is oh so simple today, too--happy and stress free. I have a computer and it is my contact with the world. I keep in touch with distant friends via emal, look up anything I want to know (like how to control garden pests, etc.),listen to internet radio, audio books, music, etc., do a fair amount of online shopping, watch over my credit card and bank account, keep up with the news and weather, store and send digital photos, help my four year old granddaughter do things like Paint, read the new postings on CD, etc. I think my computer will be the last "new" techie thing I do.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:55 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,574 times
I am well over 50 and would freak out without my smartphone (it's a Driod; cigar anyone?). I got caught in the tech world and have been sailing it ever since.

I don't do the tweet and Facebook stuff (even though I do have a facebook account; just one other forum and CD is the extent of my computer life except of course for YouTube and music.

I like my unlimited messaging on my Droid because; 1. I know they got the message, 2. I don't have to talk to them, 3. I have unlimited texting plan so I don't have to use my minutes, 4. the virtual keyboard is amazing; you don't even have to type the whole word before several options show up and bingo (I'm hooked).

In Hawaii talking on the cell with your hands in the car is now against the law which is fine by me. I think all states should follow suite but......anyway I've been on my cell more then my computer since I get wifi on it as well. Pretty neat stuff in my book

Tweeting and all it's ling is going out. Now it's called all kinds of things. I use the term tex; so there you have it......................Twank-you

Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,897,666 times
This made me laugh, so early in the AM!!!!
I do have all those accounts that are mentioned and more, for photography stuff which I love, but I certainly do not need to know all that petty stuff on FB like he says...like when was your last BM...
And yes, I do TWOOT!!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:52 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
I don't have a cell phone with a keyboard because I cannot see the letters without magnifying glasses which half the time I cannot find anyway.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 AM

19,534 posts, read 9,549,956 times
I am SO looking forward to retirement. Adios to over 75% of those passwords one has to "try to remember"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics