Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,235,712 times

Advertisements

A lot depends on the circumstances. "Miss" is nice when you know someone is saying it to let you know you are "still young". it's flattering. "Ma'am" is nice when it's a very young person who is being respectful. Just don't tell me I'm "spry". I hate that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,142,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I'm definitely old enough to be "ma'amed" so I 'm fine with it. Here in the south, it is a title denoting respect.
Exactly. It may be a southern thing. I'm a native of Virginia, a state that is rapidly losing it's "southerness". I get tripped up by this sort of thing all the time. There are so many words that I learned as "respectful terms" that I now have to be careful about saying because some of the new people moving here from northern states get offended.

"Sweetie" is one that got me in trouble recently. When I was growing up, if you wanted to make a gentle reprimand you added the word "sweetie." That's how the other person would know that you were correcting a small error but it wasn't a big deal, you still liked them.

Example: "Sweetie, you can say something 100 times but that still doesn't make it so."

When I was growing up, putting sweetie on a statement like that softened the blow. But the other day I learned the hard way that instead of making it gentler, apparently using the word "sweetie" now makes a statement into a huge insult. Same goes for "honey" and sugar" and "maam" and all the phrases that used to be part of my culture.

It's a shame, IMO.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 AM

42,006 posts, read 75,408,821 times
I don't mind being "ma'am-ed" at all (even though technically I'm still a mademoiselle ). Beats being called "girlie" or "missy."

Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 AM

44,402 posts, read 20,133,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
By the way, when I got my first job as a person who walked around a theater lobby selling flowers, I was given this advice:

When you see someone someone who is obviously single and on a date, ask them if they want a flower for their wife. They giggle, they blush, and it sells the flower a lot of times. If you see someone who looks good and married, ask them if they want a flower for their girl friend. If you see someone who looks young and is self conscious about it, call her "ma'am" (respectfully). And vice versa, call the middle-aged woman "miss."

That's how you sell a lot of flowers!
I love it, Caladium! Sage advice! Don't you just love psychology?

I have to admit, being called "ma'am" makes me feel old. I prefer "miss."

Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,351,789 times
I don't mind the distinction. I think it is quite respectful and consistent with good manners. God knows we could use more of people using good manners and showing respect for one another.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM

821 posts, read 863,286 times
My girlfriend loves it when I call her ma'am >_>

Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,989,850 times
Pffftttt!!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:51 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,565,078 times
I grew up saying Ma'am and Sir. It doesn't bother me one little bit.

Here lately it been Thank you Momma.....I ain't but one person's Momma.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,160,470 times
I prefer that strangers call me Ma'am~ then my first name...

Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,148,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheT View Post
My girlfriend loves it when I call her ma'am >_>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I grew up saying Ma'am and Sir. It doesn't bother me one little bit.

Here lately it been Thank you Momma.....I ain't but one person's Momma.

I am frequently called Ma'am and I deserve it. I dislike being "guys" which seems to be what waitstaff is instructed to call diners. I find it rude, actually; but is more likely laziness of thought. I am not dude, nor guy, nor any of several slang phrases/words being tossed around. I am very comfortable with Ma'am, Miss, My Lady, or Madam. Your Highness works in some situations <grin> as does Mistress.

I wonder if Tony the T lives in Philly and has a really neat plane collection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics