Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Ok, I'll try....
Good! No reason to get yourself all worked up.

Quote:
people are really not alert when they are driving...or aware there are others that would like to get thru that light...you wouldn't get away with driving like that in NY, that's for sure....
I've never driven in New York, but I did move from Southern California and have to maneuver one of the busiest freeways in the country five days a week. It's one of the reasons we moved. It's crowded and aggressive and exhausting. I couldn't live in NYC.

My husband leaves at 6 a.m. and gets home at 3 p.m., so he avoids a lot of traffic. That is good for him (as well as for the family, because he is home for the kids when they get home from school if I have to go to the office), because he gets so bent out of shape when he drives.

Quote:
No offense, but I think you should go back and read my post...
I did read it. This is what you said:

Quote:
for God's sake, if you can't at least do the speed limit, get off the road
I drive the speed limit, and I'm usually in the slow lane. If there are at least three lanes, I take the to the left of the slow lane so I don't have to merge with people as much. I will drive more slowly if I don't feel it's safe, like when it's icy out.

Quote:
if the speed limit on a 4 - 6 lane highway is 55 MPH, you don't do 40 - 50 MPH, you do the speed limit..reason being, there are people coming up behind you in the slow lane that are going the speed limit, which could cause a chain reaction accident, plus...you can't move over in the fast lane to pass that person, b/c cars are passing them, back to back, so, I can't relax in that situation...and it isn't about getting home on time....it's about having an accident....
People can be ticketed for driving too slowly. I just get out from behind them and go on.

Quote:
No, in the situations I'm talking about, It's not about an accident...it's about a controlling woman who needs to have her way...your sitting at a traffic light, 20 cars behind you...there is a woman sitting in a car, across from you...she is turning....you wave her on to go...she sits there and argues with you....so, sit there, in the mean time, your inconveniencing all the cars behind, who want to go, just because of stubborness....and I don't mean you, I mean you in general....how utterly controlling and stupid...I'm sorry, but women are the worst drivers.
Originally you said this happens at a stop sign or light. I ignored the light part because it's very clear whose turn it is at a light. If you're at a light and the oncoming driver wants to turn on an unprotected green while you are going straight, it's your turn. You cannot allow her to go. Don't you see the irony? You are the one playing the power game, trying to make her go, making other people wait, not her.

At stop signs, it's the same deal. Straight trumps turning. And if you wave the driver to turn in front of you, the turn is passed to cross traffic. So you try to take your turn, the one you waited for, but the other people want to go too and might think it's their turn. Giving up the right of way confuses people. Don't do it. Just take your turn and please stop with the power struggle.

Quote:
Can't agree with you more....can't count on both hands and feet how many accidents I've almost seen because people think it's ok to break the law...hey, they're entitled!

by the way, speeders really get to me to...especially if they're weaving in and out of traffic...
When you're at a stoplight, check out how many people are looking into their laps (texting).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
I've always wanted one of those James Bond cars with rockets, oil slicks, machine guns and most importantly one of those rolling billboards across the back to send the jerk on my rear end a message.

I guess I'd be in jail if I had one so instead Ill take a car with a big steel bumper to give people a friendly nudge.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've always wanted one of those James Bond cars with rockets, oil slicks, machine guns and most importantly one of those rolling billboards across the back to send the jerk on my rear end a message.

I guess I'd be in jail if I had one so instead Ill take a car with a big steel bumper to give people a friendly nudge.
LOL! My good friend bought a Mini when they were first available, and she could get fake buttons for her dashboard, saying things like, "Oil Slick" and "Rocket Launcher." I don't know if they still have those.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
Quote:
When you're at a stoplight, check out how many people are looking into their laps (texting).
Yes, definitely. I'm still a baby driver, so I can't even imagine how some people manage to do this!

"What the hell is she doing? Is she gonna go or what? Oh yeah, on the phone...texting...of course...what else is new? Drive for Christ's sake, drive!" - said MMH.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,955 times
Quote:
Does it make you livid when people sit at the green light...what the heck could they be thinking or are they thinking at all?...
I realize that it must be a "Minnesotan" thing, wait for 5 seconds then go. Even though I don't drive, I would have go atm when the light turns green. I hate it these days.

Quote:
2. Get off the darn cell phones while your driving...give me a break.
Yeah, I know what you mean. People drive and TEXT these days... I stop my friends from texting when they're driving. My motto is "give me the phone or put it away"

Quote:
Old people....I realize, I really do...that older people tend to drive much slower but for God's sake, if you can't at least do the speed limit, get off the road...
I do realize this also. Yesterday my friend and I happened to talk to an old woman about teens dying A LOT faster than older people. She made a good point. Old people may drive slow but they do live longer than teen these days.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 AM

28,925 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
JustJulia;

My husband leaves at 6 a.m. and gets home at 3 p.m., so he avoids a lot of traffic. That is good for him (as well as for the family, because he is home for the kids when they get home from school if I have to go to the office), because he gets so bent out of shape when he drives.
Know a lot of people who live out there and hear traffic is horrendous
I do the same thing your husband does, only thing is, roads coming home are bad and loaded with traffic

Quote:
I drive the speed limit, and I'm usually in the slow lane. If there are at least three lanes, I take the to the left of the slow lane so I don't have to merge with people as much. I will drive more slowly if I don't feel it's safe, like when it's icy out.
yeah me to....

Quote:
People can be ticketed for driving too slowly. I just get out from behind them and go on.
wull yeah, they could be, but out here in PA you hardly see any cops on the roads any more....(cutbacks, yanno) there are so short handed, who is going to enforce the laws? That's why people really speed...this morning on the way to work, they were going 70 - 75 passing me in hords, and I was doing 60...

Quote:
Just take your turn and please stop with the power struggle.
Awwwwww, all right....

Quote:
I know, what is wrong with people? Oh my, I'm getting upset again....
anger management, whereeeee areeee YOU?

LOL

thanks Julia

Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
If you're at a light and the oncoming driver wants to turn on an unprotected green while you are going straight, it's your turn. You cannot allow her to go. Don't you see the irony? You are the one playing the power game, trying to make her go, making other people wait, not her.
Where I live, this is called "the Pittsburgh left". If there's no arrow and the first car at the intersection is turning left, they will gun it and make that left before the opposing traffic can go. Or the first opposing car will wave them through. They say it's so the left-turning car doesn't back up traffic, but when I first moved here I almost T-boned a few cars. Now I know better.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 AM

28,925 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Where I live, this is called "the Pittsburgh left". If there's no arrow and the first car at the intersection is turning left, they will gun it and make that left before the opposing traffic can go. Or the first opposing car will wave them through. They say it's so the left-turning car doesn't back up traffic, but when I first moved here I almost T-boned a few cars. Now I know better.
Ok, I'll admit, the problem here is probably me...you see, I grew up in a very small town...we were taught to be this way, to let others go first, and to be quit honest, I didn't know this was against the law...
you may not believe what I just wrote but its' true...people back then were being curtious...and I can't tell you how many times, men have done that to me, left me go first...or left me out of a parking lot...I guess the ol days are gone forever....

But I do see your points....

However, watch out....I'm going to rant again....

but I'm so sick of women who think they are entitled...who are aloof b/c they're in a high level position, and the moment they get in they're cars, think, they are entitled to drive as they please..b/c of they're positons...excuse me...but your no better then anyone else...

believe me, I like women, I have a lot of women friends, however, we do discuss this at work, and there are a lot of people who agree with me...matter of fact, most secretaries will say, they would never ever work for another woman....most of them are insecure, incompentent, and I've seen them even destroy lives to climb to the top of the corporate world. They get in a new position...don't care about all the money that was spent in the past to make that particular team work...and then they come in and change it all around, just to make a name for themselves...and they're ideas are not good ones...but they are to controlling and enthrusiastic to admit that they are wrong, and blame everyone else...and believe me, I have worked for some very wonderful competent women...but on the whole, a lot of women in the corporate field are not qualified...and you gotta wonder how they got there? Who did they know? Why would anyone give that person a promotion? I mean, most women, are always calling in sick, or they're WFH, or taking off....? Sheesh....? But, I'm much older and it's a changing world...however, ya still gotta wonder about these people running the show....

hmmmmm, got a tinsy off topic didn't I?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Same here -- when I first moved to Pittsburgh I came very close to getting into a couple of scrapes for the same reason. It took me a while to understand that the "Pittsburgh Left" was an accepted local convention (even if it was technically against the law) rather than people just being impatient jerks. So I gradually came to accept it in the spirit of "when in Rome," but it always bothered me on some level because the convention and the law were in conflict with one another. And that sometimes becomes a problem when someone is following the convention while someone else is following the law instead. And of course convention is not going to be a valid defense against the law, and that's why I adopted the convention reluctantly and cautiously.

Last edited by Drover; 08-13-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
this morning on the way to work, they were going 70 - 75 passing me in hords, and I was doing 60...
I feel you on that one, I really do. There are some surface streets around here where people love to speed, and they tailgate and get all pushy. It bugs me, but I'm not going to get a ticket over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics