Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,790,289 times

Advertisements

I need help....I moved to SC knowing there are a lot of bugs here but had no idea how big and how many. I have an extreme phobia of bugs especially spiders and have been doing everything I can to not have them around my house. I have an exterminator every three months spraying the inside and outside. My SO has bought every kind of spray, granule you can imagine but it's nature and we are surrounded by a lot of trees. There are going to be bugs and I have to deal with it. I just don't know how and it's getting worse. I walk outside and I see dead (big)beetles everywhere because of spraying, bees/wasps swarming around, fire ants, knats, dragonflies with every step I take. There's also tons of bugs that I don't know what they are because I've never seen them before. Yesterday was my first experience with a Palmetto bug aka roach, it was in my house ad I screamed for five minutes. I had to spray it and then get a neighbor to pick it up. I know it's pathetic and embarrassing, they probably think I'm nuts.

I don't want to put a negative on SC because I really like it here and I have to resolve this or I'll be miserable. I can't try to over come this by facing the fear, like picking up bugs or something because I'll have a heart attack. I'm a strong person but creepy crawly stuff just really freaks me out. Any other suggestions? Anyone else have this fear and got over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 01:16 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,849,856 times
Yeah, I had that fear before and I got over it ( it took some time though ). I went to psychology sessions, and they helped a lot. Not only that, I took some time to "study" bugs and spiders ( especially spiders ) that I was afraid of. I tried to "understand" them. I hope you'll get over your fear, because I KNOW how exhausting it can be.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Psychology sessions? I would go, how do I find something like that? Do you go to any psychologist or are their people that specialize in phobias/fears? I'm so on edge, especially since that Palmetto was in the house. I feel like bugs are crawling on me all the time. Ok people, I'm not crazy and least I want to get over it. How did you study bugs, on the internet? I can't even look at pictures of them and it's getting worse as I get older. The strange thing is I was kind of a tom boy growing up, so I don't know what happened.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Try this link:
INSECT PHOBIA: Treatment and Hope

Just ask any psychologist or psychiatrists do they specialize in insect phobias. There are plenty of them that know a lots about that stuff, you just need to ask them. When it comes to my research, I bought some books and I used to go to Wikipedia. Don't worry, nobody will think you're crazy. Actually, I think the most important step in recovery is accepting the fact that you have a problem ( like I did ) and looking for help. Let me know if you like this link. If you don't, I'll send you some more...

Old 07-30-2007, 06:59 PM

Thank you, I read that web site and took the test. I don't know how acurate it is but it said I have a severe case of insect phobia. I don't know about it because they are selling some treatment and unless I know someone else that tried it, I probably wouldn't do it. Maybe I'll go to the library and see if there are books on getting over the phobia. I don't know if I want to go talk to someone about this but if it keeps increasing then I'll have to. I called my exterminator to do around the house again, he was just here two weeks ago. Probably wondering why I moved here.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 PM

I bought some books at Barnes and Noble, and they really helped me. One my friends did that whole treatment thing and she said it really helped her...But try talking to couple of psychologists...They'll recommend you to someone else if they are not specialized...

Hugs to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics