Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM

44,384 posts, read 20,108,348 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):
Have you ever had a raging toothache? Yes; once.
If yes, how long did you have to endure it before getting treatment? Same day. A molar had broken in half and had to be pulled.

Extra Credit Question:
For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again? Nope.
Why/why not? It would take volumes for me to explain why. I never dreamed I'd end up in the legal field. Should have made a career out of something I'm passionate about, but I was too chicken -- worried about paying the bills if I chose a career as a singer or a naturalist, my first loves. Got my foot in the door at a law firm after college, and I've been a paralegal ever since. I have enjoyed it most of the time, but could easily walk away from it and not miss it.

Bonus Question:
If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)? Probably a bout 30. If I borrowed some folding chairs, I could fit a bunch more in.

Just for Fun:
Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home? Yes.

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative
An artist who is not well known
An artist who is well known locally
An artist who is well known nationally or internationally. I don't know whether this counts, but I have a signed lithograph from Peter Max. Way cool.

Today in History:

2010 Pablo Picasso's electrician reveals 271 previously unknown works by the artist, claiming they were gifts Wow. I'd like to see those. Much of Picasso's works are not my taste, but I can appreciate the genius behind them.

Today’s Word:

Serry \SER-ee\ , verb;
1. To crowd closely together.
I don't like it when someone tries to serry me and others; makes me feel claustrophobic!

Today Is:
Square Dance Day I haven't done this for decades. I remember it being a lot of fun, though.
Newspaper Day I haven't read today's paper yet. Probably won't get to it until late this evening.
National Chocolates Day OMG - Are you KIDDING ME? A whole day for CHOCOLATES?! I will celebrate by having a handful of M&Ms from the dispenser on our reception desk at the office. And that's just for starters. I mean, gee.......it's a holiday, so I HAVE to celebrate, right? Hmmmmm.....what other chocolate stash can I get into????
Electronic Greetings Day I'm sorry, I can't think of anything but chocolate now.

HAPPY NATIONAL CHOCOLATES DAY, EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 AM

151 posts, read 206,350 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache? Thankfully, no.

If yes, how long did you have to endure it before getting treatment?

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again? I love working in the medical field. I currently do not have a degree but I am working on it.

Why/why not? It's nice to be able to help people.

Bonus Question:

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)? Haha.. like 4. My apartment is small. It's just me and I don't usually have company.

Just for Fun:

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home? No but I wish I did.

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative
An artist who is well known nationally or internationally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache?

Yes.

About 3 days.

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again?

Yes, although I might have worked for a different employer.

Why/why not?

Being an analyst suited me. I liked doing planning, research and writing decision type reports/papers for others. But mostly what I liked about it is that I got to do something different all of the time within the job. For example, today I might be looking into fraud issues to ferret out abusers and in three months I might be looking into bill paying activity to increase collection or some customer service issue to improve effectiveness.

Bonus Question:

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)?

6 around the table, 6 in the living room...but then ask me a QOTD stress question.

Just for Fun:

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home?

These days, I don't have a single thing on my walls including my own photography.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,359,874 times
I'm so sorry about your tooth pain, Kobber. Dental pain is so close to our pain center that it seems worse than other pain.

Today’s Question(s):

Oh yes.

Only one day. It was an abscessed tooth that I had convinced myself was cancer.

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again? Yes.

Why/why not? My 37 year career with Uncle Sam was wonderful. I am forever grateful for the fact that I was hired in the first place.

Bonus Question:

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)?

Probably around 35 but y'all come on over, anyway.

Just for Fun:

Yes.

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative
An artist who is not well known This one

Today in History:

1775 Sir James Jay invents invisible ink
1877 Thomas Edison demonstrates hand-cranked phonograph
1942 U.S. rations coffee during WWII
1944 John Hopkins hospital performs first open heart surgery
1953 American Airlines begins first regular commercial NY-LA air service
2010 Pablo Picasso's electrician reveals 271 previously unknown works by the artist, claiming they were gifts

Today’s Word:

Serry \SER-ee\ , verb;

Today Is:

Square Dance Day
Newspaper Day
National Chocolates Day
Electronic Greetings Day

Square dancing is actually a lot of fun.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 AM

7,383 posts, read 5,498,327 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache? no

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again? no

Why/why not? long story. Let's just say I hate my job but can't get out of it because there are no other jobs comparable with hours and money I make in my small town.

Bonus Question:

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)? 17

Just for Fun:

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home? not painted

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative I have a beautiful needlework picture done by my great aunt

Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 AM

24,524 posts, read 26,071,732 times
Today’s Question(s):

Fortunately, no.

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again?
No.

Why/why not?
I feel into my career field by pure luck and it was rewarding and exciting for 45 years.

Bonus Question:

At least 30 is my best guess, we have had more when we had reunions and receptions.

Just for Fun:

Yes we do, mostly Native American.

If yes, who did it/them?

Friend/relative
All of the above.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,981,297 times
Howdy all my QOTD friends. Sorry I've been away so long. I was out buying Nutella for Christmas presents but every time I'd wrap up a jar I'd test a sample to make sure it was good enough for my friends. And then of course I had to go buy another jar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone. I’ve had the most bloomin’ awful toothache the last few days while you guys were all chomping on turkey and pumpkin pie. It has settled down now thanks to some strong antibiotics, but the dentist is sick and I can’t get an appointment before Thursday. In my small town, there’s no emergency dental service.

Today’s Question(s):

I've had a few. You have my deepest sympathy. Nothing is worse, not even a Nutella thief!

Extra Credit Question:

Sure, it was a fun ride.

Why/why not?

Bonus Question:

Probably a dozen or so.

Just for Fun:

Yes, especially the little markings left this weekend by a 3-year-old granddaughter.

Today in History:

1775 Sir James Jay invents invisible ink
1877 Thomas Edison demonstrates hand-cranked phonograph
1942 U.S. rations coffee during WWII
1944 John Hopkins hospital performs first open heart surgery
1953 American Airlines begins first regular commercial NY-LA air service
2010 Pablo Picasso's electrician reveals 271 previously unknown works by the artist, claiming they were gifts

Today’s Word:

Serry \SER-ee\ , verb;

Today Is:

Square Dance Day
Newspaper Day
National Chocolates Day
Electronic Greetings Day

Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 AM

44,384 posts, read 20,108,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Howdy all my QOTD friends. Sorry I've been away so long. I was out buying Nutella for Christmas presents but every time I'd wrap up a jar I'd test a sample to make sure it was good enough for my friends. And then of course I had to go buy another jar...
Normie! Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you buy me a large Nutella for my Christmas stocking?
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,850,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone. I’ve had the most bloomin’ awful toothache the last few days while you guys were all chomping on turkey and pumpkin pie. It has settled down now thanks to some strong antibiotics, but the dentist is sick and I can’t get an appointment before Thursday. In my small town, there’s no emergency dental service.
Ouch .....

Today’s Question(s):

Unfortunately, yes.

A long weekend. I nearly poisoned myself (seriously) because of all the OTC pain meds I was downing.

Extra Credit Question:

Yes, but I would have started earlier.

Why/why not?

I enjoy working with kids, but didn't realize how much until I'd been out of college for a decade.

Bonus Question:

Yikes! Not many (unless y'all are really REALLY skinny ). Let's see ..... maybe 10?

Just for Fun:

I do!

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself

Friend/relative A now-forgotten ancestor

Today Is:

Square Dance Day
Bow to your pardner and dosey-do!
Newspaper Day So sad that these are almost extinct.
National Chocolates Day Oh, please. In my life, EVERY day is Chocolates Day!
Electronic Greetings Day They're fun but, for me, they'll never replace a good old-fashioned paper card.

Thanks for the questions!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,913,696 times
Good morning everyone. I’ve had the most bloomin’ awful toothache the last few days while you guys were all chomping on turkey and pumpkin pie. It has settled down now thanks to some strong antibiotics, but the dentist is sick and I can’t get an appointment before Thursday. In my small town, there’s no emergency dental service. Oh Kobber, that sounds awful. I read somewhere else on C-D that whiskey helps.

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache? Yes, AFTER a root canal.

Even with drugs, it took a week for the face pain to go away.

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again? Yes. I actually had two careers that I loved.

Why/why not? I loved teaching the blind in New Zealand, but when I came to the US, they would not accept my NZ degree and I was told I would need to go back to school for 4 years. I switched to hospital fund raising and loved that too.

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)? 19 could squeeze into my small living/dining room if I bring in my deck chairs. When are you coming over? It'll be fun!

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home? Yes.

If yes, who did it/them?

An artist who is not well known Several of these.
An artist who is well known locally A few of these.
An artist who is well known nationally or internationally None of these.

Happy Tuesday everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics