Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,495,791 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone. I’ve had the most bloomin’ awful toothache the last few days while you guys were all chomping on turkey and pumpkin pie. It has settled down now thanks to some strong antibiotics, but the dentist is sick and I can’t get an appointment before Thursday. In my small town, there’s no emergency dental service.

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache?

If yes, how long did you have to endure it before getting treatment?

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again?

Why/why not?

Bonus Question:

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)?

Just for Fun:

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home?

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative
An artist who is not well known
An artist who is well known locally
An artist who is well known nationally or internationally

Today in History:

1775 Sir James Jay invents invisible ink
1877 Thomas Edison demonstrates hand-cranked phonograph
1942 U.S. rations coffee during WWII
1944 John Hopkins hospital performs first open heart surgery
1953 American Airlines begins first regular commercial NY-LA air service
2010 Pablo Picasso's electrician reveals 271 previously unknown works by the artist, claiming they were gifts

Today’s Word:

Serry \SER-ee\ , verb;
1. To crowd closely together.

Today Is:

Square Dance Day
Newspaper Day
National Chocolates Day
Electronic Greetings Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,018,702 times
Today’s Question(s):

Once when I was 14

2 days. Where we lived at the time there was no dentist. We had to fly into Anchorage to get it taken care of. To make matters worse, a water pipe burst flooding the apartment that day.

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again?
I would.

Why/why not?
Actually, I never intended to go into aviation. It just happened. After graduating college I had grand plans of getting rich in marketing. I hired on as a sales rep with a chemical manufacture. Let's just say I did not do well. While even to this day I do not believe it was all my fault, the odds were highly against me. I knew I was in trouble when I saw my position once again being advertised in the paper. I quit before they had to fire me. Then I got a job with a heating oil company. That lasted 3 years and then the company went out of business. So, broke and hungry, I hired on with an airline service company. Airline service companies are at the bottom of the food chain and will hire just about anyone. On the plus side, if you show up for work on time at least 50 percent of the time you will get offered a management position. Since I grew up in an aviation enviroment, I decided to stick it out and make it my career. I actually stayed with that rotten company 20 years. I was the senior supervisor on the station for probably 15 of those years. Then 5 years ago my dream job with an actual airline kinda fell in my lap. I have been living the dream ever since.

Bonus Question:

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)?
If everyone got along real well, 4 people could sit on my couch. 4 more could sit at the dining table. Another 4 could sit out on the deck. Everyone else has to stand. Wait a minute...While I am a nice person and all, I need a place to sit. looks like one of the 12 guests with seats is getting bumped

Just for Fun:

Nope

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative

Today in History:

2010 Pablo Picasso's electrician reveals 271 previously unknown works by the artist, claiming they were gifts

Today’s Word:

Serry \SER-ee\ , verb;

Today Is:

Square Dance Day
Newspaper Day
National Chocolates Day
Electronic Greetings Day

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 11-29-2011 at 04:10 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 AM

48,265 posts, read 22,054,324 times
Today’s Question(s):

I don't even want to think about it.

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again? Probably.

Why/why not? I really enjoyed my profession (social worker).....however I was underpaid and had difficulty adequately supporting my family. When you work with those who society devalues.....the financial rewards are commensurate with that devalued status.

Bonus Question:

31 seats....but the guests would have to split up over the upstairs and downstairs rooms ... oh there's room for two more out on the bench in the garden.

Just for Fun:

Yes
If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative

My great aunt (1860) was an artist and I have one of her American primitive style;
my close friend from HS is a successful artist and I have several of her water colors
my MIL gave us two framed calligraphy that she had done,
we purchased a painting by a dear friend who is living with Altzhiemer's Disease and is painting her journey in remarkable watercolors;
we have another friend who is a holocaust surviver and a successful artist...we purchased two of her paintings.
We also have several paintings by unknown artists.

Today’s Word:

Serry \SER-ee\ , verb;
1. To crowd closely together. (I would have to serry my guests if you all came to visit.)

Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,770,195 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache? Oh yes

If yes, how long did you have to endure it before getting treatment? 2-4 days. Had to get on antibiotic before the drilling could start.

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again? No

Why/why not? I could have made a worse decision.

Bonus Question:

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)? A dozen or so.

Just for Fun:

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home? Yes

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself I started and wife finished.
Friend/relative

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Serry \SER-ee\ , verb;

Today Is:

Square Dance Day
Newspaper Day We buy a Sunday paper for the coupons.
National Chocolates Day Just for me.
Electronic Greetings Day

Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 AM
bjh

60,172 posts, read 30,482,073 times
In my small town, there’s no emergency dental service.

Hang in there. Thursday will come no matter what.

November Photo Contests have begun!

Theme - Main street:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/photo...vote-your.html

Home state or country is now called Your Best Shot:
November 2011 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Today’s Question(s):
I had my first really bad cavity this summer.
It was fixed before it abcessed enough to require antibiotics.

Extra Credit Question:
Why/why not?
Yes, because it's what I'm suited for.

Bonus Question:
About 18-20

Just for Fun:
If yes, who did it/them?
Yes, by artists who are not well known

Today Is:
Square Dance Day
Newspaper Day
National Chocolates Day
Electronic Greetings Day Greetings, earthlings.

Hope your day takes you places.

Last edited by bjh; 11-29-2011 at 04:53 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 04:29 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,873,576 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache? Yes

Luckily, I was able to get pain meds fairly quickly.

Extra Credit Question:

For those who have or had a career, would you choose the same career if you had your time over again? I would still work with children, but as either an OT or a speech pathologist. As a special educator I work with these people every day to provide services & what they do is fascinating. In these professions I could also work with people of all ages.
Then again......Maybe I'd choose to be a performer with Cirque du Soleil!

Bonus Question:

If all the people who usually answer the QOTD came to your home (around 45-50 of us), how many could you seat (excluding normal beds, steps and the floor, but including outdoor chairs and sofa beds)? I have a very small house, under 1,000 sq. ft. but it sits on almost 20 acres. So, inside about a dozen could be seated as there's a long window seat in the living room. Another 6 on the porch & the rest of you can bring a lawn chair.

Just for Fun:

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home? Yes

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative....... A friend, my SiL, various nieces and nephews & one two year old grandchild who loves to fingerpaint
An artist who is well known local
ly

Must get moving...8 am staff meeting every Tuesday. Have a great day!

Last edited by kpinvt; 11-29-2011 at 04:50 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 AM

27,392 posts, read 27,440,438 times
Oh yes Ive had my share of toothaches and finally got brave enough to go to the dentist.
Yes I would do my career over again, as an electrician if I could. Only thing is I would become a contractor myself rather than work for someone else.
This isnt a very big house at all so probably Id say 10 people can comfortably could find a seat somewhere here.
And heres to chocolate day!!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,574,158 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache? Yes!!! And it went from a toothache to full blown abcess in 48 hours. It also happened on a weekend. Thankfully, I have friends in low places and some Tylenol 3 helped me make it until Monday. Then they pulled it.

Seat 15 maybe.

Just for Fun:

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home? Yes. We have a lot of Native American artwork. Some by famous people and one by me!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,192,746 times
[quote=Kobber;21899067]Good morning everyone. I’ve had the most bloomin’ awful toothache the last few days while you guys were all chomping on turkey and pumpkin pie. It has settled down now thanks to some strong antibiotics, but the dentist is sick and I can’t get an appointment before Thursday. In my small town, there’s no emergency dental service.

Sounds like you need a heavy dose of a tooth fairy savior ..I wish you the best

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever had a raging toothache?Once and it was a root canal needing done like all of a sudden....I mean where, when, why???

By the end of day it was done thank you

Extra Credit Question:

Why/why not?

Bonus Question:

Probably about 9 I am thinking

Just for Fun:

Do you have any original painted artwork on your walls at home? yes

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative

Today’s Word:

Serry \SER-ee\ , verb;

Today Is:

Square Dance Day
Newspaper Day
National Chocolates Day
Electronic Greetings Day[/QUOTE

Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,643,552 times
Hope you feel better soon Kobber!! Ouch!

Today’s Question(s):

Yes! Ouchie, ouchie, ouchie!! There's nothing much worse than a toothache, except childbirth!

A few days of hell

Extra Credit Question:

I didn't have a career, if I had it to do over again I would go to college and have a career in the medical field

Why/why not?
See above

Bonus Question:

I could seat 10 people, maybe 11 if you squeeze 4 on the sofa

Just for Fun:

Nope, just prints

If yes, who did it/them?
Yourself
Friend/relative

Today Is:

Square Dance Day...................fun to watch
Newspaper Day.......................they're becoming extinct
National Chocolates Day..........yum
Electronic Greetings Day...........hello!!

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 11-29-2011 at 05:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics