Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,776,663 times

Advertisements

Out of that whole list I have one thing, a FB account with only my family on it. My daughters live in different countries along with my brothers and sisters and we've found it's a good one to catch up, but it's not a full time thing, it's kind of sporadic.

I live in the country and we don't get any cell phone coverage out here.

I like my privacy, I'm not interested in sharing my life with the whole world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,529,100 times
The only reason I have a cell phone is because my work made me get it. The only reason I have Facebook is because apparently its the only way I will ever get to communicate with my grandkids. Who, like alot of youngins these days,apparently have forgotten how to communicate using lips,tongue and voicebox! Unless of course, they want to borrow $$ from grampa. Then they seem to miraculously remember how to speak!!!! I dont have a computer at home either. When I am on CityData I am at work.I used to have a computer at home. But I let my youngest daughter take it to college with her. She graduated 5 years ago and I still havent seen my damn computer! ****ing kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:35 AM

32 posts, read 79,340 times
I use Facebook, Twitter and cell phone on a daily basis (is anyone really using Myspace nowadays?! dont think so). But I think only a cell phone is a real necessity, it can really be useful in some situations and in case of emergencies. Honestly speaking I would disapprove of anyone aged below 70 who would not have a cell (unless they cant afford it of course!).. As for the rest...if you don't have it, you might even be better off!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,797,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Or regression - depending on how one looks at it.

For the record, I own an old-style flip cell phone I use as a phone only and could certainly live without. I also have a FB login only. Once in a blue moon I use it if somebody wants me to see some updates in his life and/or pictures.
Nothing wrong with flip phones.

Call it whatever you want.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM

354 posts, read 619,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's useful to use the poll feature for these kinds of questions.

My thoughts:

Facebook - Adults without a Facebook account in this day and age is conservative in nature. They don't want to accept change. Some people hate change, others fear it. While these folks are behind, not all is lost with them. Facebook is well within the "adoption phase" an it is not too late.

MySpace - It's perfectly reasonable for an adult not to have one of these. MySpace's primary audience was young adults, teens, and musicians. There was little value to the rest of the population in its prime and even less now.

Twitter - Twitter is in the early adoption rate. Many people probably don't understand it so they stay away. I feel they will soon realize that Twitter is an invaluable tool when time is of essence. For example, during Hurricane Irene on the east coast, municipalities relied on Twitter to push real-time emergency information to people since it was the fastest, most efficient way, to reach the masses. Those without Twitter had to rely on slower forms of communication... that was often one-way.

Cell Phone - People without cell phones/smartphones are holding themselves back for reasons which they probably don't understand. Not having a smartphone in this day and age is like not having the internet. I mentioned smartphone specifically because those who are without one are not allowing themselves to fall behind in society. An amazing thing has happened in recent years where the way we interact with computers has truly morphed. Familiarity with this change will be critical all throughout life, including at work, going forward.

Those are my judgements. I'm sure I'll get push-back.

For the record, I don't have MySpace. My log onto Twitter for symantec searches and just following things that interest me (Mercedes, Golf, etc). I don't typically post to Twitter. I have Facebook and a smartphone.

I don't have a Facebook account and I never will, yet this description does not fit me at all.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 AM

19,816 posts, read 20,425,468 times
I don't use a cell phone. :gasp: I do have facebook, and occasionally I still log in to Myspace. I had over 30 music playlists on there, so if I'm searching for a song, I know where to find it. There were alot of good music pages on Myspace, w/ alot of rare tunes you can't even find on youtube, so..yeah, I'm a beat junkie.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,304,409 times
Quote:
Sorry, I started typing before I saw your edit.

There were plenty of social networking outlets in many forms prior to MySpace.

I'm currently assisting in research for a thesis in HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) at Princeton University... so this discussion is of very high interest to me. Thanks for posting.
Keep researching. I found your statements on the people who don't use FB to be highly prejudicial. Were I reading a thesis with those opinions submitted as facts or conclusions I'd have a LOT of questions for the author. (In fact I found the statements to be so flawed I just glanced at the rest of your post. Sorry.)

(Free advice. Aren't you lucky?)

Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM

737 posts, read 1,153,163 times
The people that are falling behind in society are not the ones without facebook, twitter, or an iphone. The ones falling behind are the ones that spend so much on technology, and the other latest things, that they don't have health insurance, a nest egg, their own home, and have to get a car loan instead of just paying for a car with cash.

I have a Blackberry and landline. In my area a landline is necessary for a burlar/fire alarrm. (another thing that is necessary in these times). I am not on any social sites. I don't care what you are doing and its none of your business what I am doing.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,867,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Take the poll! What are your thoughts on people/adults that don't have any of these? Or lets say they only have a cellphone. Do you make any 'judgements' about them based on this? I notice people look at you like you have two heads when you say, you don't have one or all. .

this was supposed to have a poll
I don't think any better or worse of adults who have or don't have any of these as a smattering of people fit this category in my life. I had a Myspace and Facebook but deactivated both. I'm now on Twitter, but rarely use it. I'm not on LinkedIn and only last month did I finally get a cell phone after not having one for years. Oh and I'm a millennial.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,867,389 times
Quote:
It's useful to use the poll feature for these kinds of questions.

My thoughts:

Facebook - Adults without a Facebook account in this day and age is conservative in nature. They don't want to accept change. Some people hate change, others fear it. While these folks are behind, not all is lost with them. Facebook is well within the "adoption phase" an it is not too late.

MySpace - It's perfectly reasonable for an adult not to have one of these. MySpace's primary audience was young adults, teens, and musicians. There was little value to the rest of the population in its prime and even less now.

Twitter - Twitter is in the early adoption rate. Many people probably don't understand it so they stay away. I feel they will soon realize that Twitter is an invaluable tool when time is of essence. For example, during Hurricane Irene on the east coast, municipalities relied on Twitter to push real-time emergency information to people since it was the fastest, most efficient way, to reach the masses. Those without Twitter had to rely on slower forms of communication... that was often one-way.

Cell Phone - People without cell phones/smartphones are holding themselves back for reasons which they probably don't understand. Not having a smartphone in this day and age is like not having the internet. I mentioned smartphone specifically because those who are without one are not allowing themselves to fall behind in society. An amazing thing has happened in recent years where the way we interact with computers has truly morphed. Familiarity with this change will be critical all throughout life, including at work, going forward.

Those are my judgements. I'm sure I'll get push-back.

For the record, I don't have MySpace. My log onto Twitter for symantec searches and just following things that interest me (Mercedes, Golf, etc). I don't typically post to Twitter. I have Facebook and a smartphone.
I don't have a Facebook (once did) and am not quite conservative (somewhere in the middle maybe). Facebook was solely for college students when it started. I have a cell phone but not a smart phone and I don't feel that it's impacted my life at all (in fact I went for years without a cell phone period). I agree though that not having at least either a phone or the internet really puts you at odds with most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics