Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 AM

663 posts, read 1,085,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper;
The people that are falling behind in society are not the ones without facebook, twitter, or an iphone. The ones falling behind are the ones that spend so much on technology, and the other latest things, that they don't have health insurance, a nest egg, their own home, and have to get a car loan instead of just paying for a car with cash.

I have a Blackberry and landline. In my area a landline is necessary for a burlar/fire alarrm. (another thing that is necessary in these times). I am not on any social sites. I don't care what you are doing and its none of your business what I am doing.
I personally don't know a lot of people who can pay cash for a brand new/ used but newer car but it has nothing to do with spending too much on technology. I don't ask everyone I know about their spending practices but I do remember a previous co-worker who paid cash for a brand new car. He didn't make a ton of money but still had an iPhone and all the other things you mention. I think your generalization is just that, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,937,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My thoughts:

Facebook - Adults without a Facebook account in this day and age is conservative in nature.

MySpace - It's perfectly reasonable for an adult not to have one of these.

Twitter - Twitter is in the early adoption rate. Many people probably don't understand it so they stay away. I feel they will soon realize that Twitter is an invaluable tool when time is of essence.

Cell Phone - People without cell phones/smartphones are holding themselves back for reasons which they probably don't understand.

Those are my judgements.
I have a FB account and rarely go to it as it's way too cluttered and also has a nasty habit of interfering with some other websites I go to where it basically disables my login. I am outgoing, gregarious, hardly describable as "conservative in nature", perfectly capable of communicating with friends and family without the help of FB and resent your apparent implication that people who choose not to use FB are somehow an inferior breed.

I'm so glad that it's OK with you that lack of a MySpace account is, "perfectly reasonable". I enter 2012 feeling blessed to have your approval at least in one respect.

Contrary to your opinion, I actually do understand Twitter but, again, it's not something I either need or want.

Thank you for your observations, but my rather high IQ enables me to completely understand why I do not have a cellphone/smartphone.

Those are MY "judgements".

Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,992,218 times
Facebook: Have it, love it. I love how easy it is to keep in touch with friends and family. I don't post updates often but found it very useful when we had a health crisis in our family. I didn't have to make a million phone calls to keep everyone updated. I realize you can accomplish the same thing with a phone tree type situation, but Facebook worked well for us.

Myspace: Had it a long time ago.

Twitter: I used to have an account but found it so inane that I cancelled it.

Cell Phone: I have a regular cell phone. A smartphone is out of my budget and is really not needed anyway. It would be a fun toy but that's it.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,312,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
edit: the only reason I added 'myspace' was b/c it was the 'first' main social networking outlet.
Quote:
For most people MySpace was the initial social networking site that led to Twitter, Facebook, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The one that I was thinking of was AOL profiles and chat. It had a large adoption rate by the masses. There was also XANGA (the precursor to MySpace), but that was mostly used by teens in the late 90s/earty 2000s.
Quote:
I have heard of AOL profiles but not XANGA. Yes, people were using chat rooms, I was as well back then. IMO though I think that to the majority of people at least in the U.S. social networking began its boom with MySpace.
Don't forget about Friendster. Prior to MySpace, Friendster was the site to be on. At least with many, many, of my friends. The "MySpace Boom" happened when those with Friendster profiles migrated to MySpace because Friendster had an odd way of deleting "questionable" photos even if there was absolutely nothing questionable about them and you couldn't type words such as azz a$$ ****, etc. MySpace allowed you to post anything you wanted to that was not downright illegal, which was appealing to the masses who felt Friendster was a little too Puritan.

The mass exodus to Facebook occurred because MySpace ran too many ads and Facebook did not. The thing is, that these ex-MySpacers hated Facebook back in the day, and many still do. But why use a platform when the majority of your friends are on another? Honestly, I think MySpace was far better than Facebook, and if it were up to me, all of my friends would still be on MySpace.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,312,109 times
Hmmmm, I guess you cannot type f c u k on here, either!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,148,995 times
I have FB but that's it. Not even a cell phone. My lack of toys has more to do with money than avoidance of technology. That and the fact that most cell phones don't work at my house.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,181,336 times
Quote:
Take the poll! What are your thoughts on people/adults that don't have any of these? Or lets say they only have a cellphone. Do you make any 'judgements' about them based on this? I notice people look at you like you have two heads when you say, you don't have one or all. .

this was supposed to have a poll
First, judging someone because they don't have or want to be a twit?

Why would you judge someone based on that criteria? Ah, maybe you judge them as being discriminating - as in having class and taste.

I don't twitter, don't want to. I have a cell phone but seldom use it - except for long distance calls and the occasional emergency/running late and I have text blocked. Myspace, nope; I've heard of skype, no use for it. I do have facebook and I'm probably way more technology oriented than most people in their twenties. My computer is a tool and I use it, not let it own me. I choose what to use based on MY needs not on whether it's cool or hip or kewl and I find it annoying that some of the people on my facebook friends list chose to post that they "made the early train, woopee"; or got "stuck on the local next to chatty cathy - urg" -- my niece and I removed her for that nonsense. I really don't care that you have to pee while racing for the train and please learn to spell "ugh" not urg.

I'd much rather people actually read a book and know how to spell. I WILL judge you for spelling judgment with 2 "e"s whether it's on skype, e-mail, IM, or C-D.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,882,447 times
Quote:
Take the poll! What are your thoughts on people/adults that don't have any of these? Or lets say they only have a cellphone. Do you make any 'judgements' about them based on this? I notice people look at you like you have two heads when you say, you don't have one or all. .

this was supposed to have a poll
No age limit. If they don't want it then that's their decision. I have a flip phone with txt messaging and basic internet and most people have smartphones nowadays so I am one of the few that has a flop phone. I have Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and others but I mostly use Facebook.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM

3,181 posts, read 5,174,332 times
I have a cell phone. I did facebook for two seconds. Just got bored of it. Never did Myspace. I have a cell phone. Don't know anyone who don't. Never even attempted twitter. I just don't have a "need" for alot of these things. I'm fine with the few sites I go to. Other than that, I don't have the desire to use these other sites.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 PM

38 posts, read 99,349 times
I don't think anyone has myspace anymore..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics