Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,444,007 times

Advertisements

I don't have any of these things except a cell phone. It is in my bedroom, not sure where,
haven't used it for a year or so. I discovered this morning my ubi-surfer can receive E-Mails
because my son has sent me one from Spain. All I've got to do now is figure out how to
reply to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,085,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
...edited - I've noticed I actually get more strange reactions from people for being picky about who I "friend" on there, and the number thereof, than my DH does for having no FB
Exactly. I don't 'friend' someone just because I get a friend request. If I don't know them, the request is 'ignored'. One click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My thoughts:

Facebook - Adults without a Facebook account in this day and age is conservative in nature. They don't want to accept change. Some people hate change, others fear it. While these folks are behind, not all is lost with them. Facebook is well within the "adoption phase" an it is not too late.
I think this is just a generalization and I don't think it's accurate. I have a FB account and I love being able to stay in touch with my family who are all far away. But I know plenty of adults who do not have FB accounts and it's not because they don't like change or don't want to accept it. Simply put, their priorities are different from mine and their time is spent elsewhere. Neither of us feel that we are behind or that 'all is lost' .

MySpace - It's perfectly reasonable for an adult not to have one of these. MySpace's primary audience was young adults, teens, and musicians. There was little value to the rest of the population in its prime and even less now.
Never had it.

Twitter - Twitter is in the early adoption rate. Many people probably don't understand it so they stay away. I feel they will soon realize that Twitter is an invaluable tool when time is of essence. For example, during Hurricane Irene on the east coast, municipalities relied on Twitter to push real-time emergency information to people since it was the fastest, most efficient way, to reach the masses. Those without Twitter had to rely on slower forms of communication... that was often one-way.
Not interested. I don't have anything to say that is that important that I need to share it right away.

Cell Phone - People without cell phones/smartphones are holding themselves back for reasons which they probably don't understand. Not having a smartphone in this day and age is like not having the internet. I mentioned smartphone specifically because those who are without one are not allowing themselves to fall behind in society. An amazing thing has happened in recent years where the way we interact with computers has truly morphed. Familiarity with this change will be critical all throughout life, including at work, going forward.
I disagree with the underlined comment. I've seen them and I'm not impressed. I've also seen first-hand the damage and expense that can occur when one is dropped. Cracked screens, repair cost, insurance deductible, etc. No thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I don't like how Facebook automatically logs you in to other websites and tracks you. If it wasn't for at I'd probably have one I'd check 1x week or something.
That feature can be turned off with one click to disable all platforms. Works great. I can visit where I want without having to bring FB into it.

One further comment on cell phones - I never used to have one at all. I was on a solo cross-country road trip when one of my sisters insisted on loaning me hers. I agreed, but used it only once. Several years later, I was on a driving vacation. While visiting my son, he gave me a pre-paid Trac-fone. He said he didn't feel comfortable knowing I was driving all over the place with no phone. I used it to make and receive calls only. No texts or pictures. Now I've got a cell phone with a carrier, and a monthly bill, and a contract. It does phone calls, texts, pictures and internet use. I think I was better off (at least money wise) with the Trac-fone. Now? I feel like I'm living dangerously just to run errands without the cell phone. That's a sad evolution.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,225,207 times
Facebook only and that was because I kept getting so many invitations to join from friends.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,477,622 times
I have a cell phone and a FB account that I use with only a handful of people, mainly to chat. I use Skype and oovoo to stay in touch with friends over long distances. I don't have Twitter or MySpace. I'm also not completely addicted to my FB page or anything like that. I just check it a few times a day when I have nothing else to do. It's nothing like CD lol.

I went for about 2 years without a cell phone and I made do. It was mildly annoying, but part of it was that I couldn't call anyone from any phone anyway. I used email with people, and often emailed them to their smartphones or texted them from my Gmail account. Don't get me wrong--I love my iPhone now because it's so accessible and easy to use. I have an unlimited texting plan (since I go to a deaf school where we're not allowed to use voice phone on campus). Sometime in the future when I get a new braille display I'm hoping to connect that to my iPhone. Maybe even something like this will be out on the market soon:

I love that! It would be so amazing to type on a virtual wireless braille keyboard instead of the crappy virtual pop-up screen that appears on the iPhone screen.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,955 times
I have an iPhone and a Facebook account. I think both are great.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
Quote:
It's useful to use the poll feature for these kinds of questions.

My thoughts:

Facebook - Adults without a Facebook account in this day and age is conservative in nature. They don't want to accept change. Some people hate change, others fear it. While these folks are behind, not all is lost with them. Facebook is well within the "adoption phase" an it is not too late.

MySpace - It's perfectly reasonable for an adult not to have one of these. MySpace's primary audience was young adults, teens, and musicians. There was little value to the rest of the population in its prime and even less now.

Twitter - Twitter is in the early adoption rate. Many people probably don't understand it so they stay away. I feel they will soon realize that Twitter is an invaluable tool when time is of essence. For example, during Hurricane Irene on the east coast, municipalities relied on Twitter to push real-time emergency information to people since it was the fastest, most efficient way, to reach the masses. Those without Twitter had to rely on slower forms of communication... that was often one-way.

Cell Phone - People without cell phones/smartphones are holding themselves back for reasons which they probably don't understand. Not having a smartphone in this day and age is like not having the internet. I mentioned smartphone specifically because those who are without one are not allowing themselves to fall behind in society. An amazing thing has happened in recent years where the way we interact with computers has truly morphed. Familiarity with this change will be critical all throughout life, including at work, going forward.

Those are my judgements. I'm sure I'll get push-back.

For the record, I don't have MySpace. My log onto Twitter for symantec searches and just following things that interest me (Mercedes, Golf, etc). I don't typically post to Twitter. I have Facebook and a smartphone.
Quote:
Sorry, I started typing before I saw your edit.

There were plenty of social networking outlets in many forms prior to MySpace.

I'm currently assisting in research for a thesis in HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) at Princeton University... so this discussion is of very high interest to me. Thanks for posting.
Assisting in writing a thesis, huh? Interesting assumptions in your first post. Are these considered valid in that thesis?

Facebook: Adults in this day and age that do not have an account don't not because they're afraid of change. They're just not interested. It's that simple. Or they are like me and are smart enough to stay away from social sites that make personal information easily hacked and/or disseminated. You can Google me and find: Nothing. And I test that on a regular basis.

MySpace: You're right. There are no adult musicians anymore.

Twitter: A constant stream of useless crap interspersed with a hurricane warning. For those of us not walking around with ours heads up our Twitters we know it's coming because we had a weeks warning that it was on it's way. News stations all over the country have been talking about it non stop.

Cell Phone
: (Smart phone.) I know plenty of people who have cell phones. I know plenty of people who have smart phones. Some of them get email; some don't. Some of them connect to the Internet; some don't. All of them can converse with alacrity, are up on current events, and don't miss needing to connect through a phone instead of face-to-face as you seem to value so highly.

Just for the record, I am, and have been, a computer tech since 1982. I am an adult. My life is complete without social sites or Twitter. I expect some push-back.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-02-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Your opinion and advice are pretty useless in a wider study. You should have read the entire post before commenting. You can't read the first paragraph and submit that as the conclusion of the author.
Actually, one can. Your initial paragraph concerning Facebook was so prejudicial that reading the remainder of the post is not necessary.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-02-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Assisting in writing a thesis, huh? Interesting assumptions in your first post. Are these considered valid in that thesis?

Facebook: Adults in this day and age that do not have an account don't not because they're afraid of change. They're just not interested. It's that simple. Or they are like me and are smart enough to stay away from social sites that make personal information easily hacked and/or disseminated. You can Google me and find: Nothing. And I test that on a regular basis.

MySpace: You're right. There are no adult musicians anymore.

Twitter: A constant stream of useless crap interspersed with a hurricane warning. For those of us not walking around with ours heads up our Twitters we know it's coming because we had a weeks warning that it was on it's way. News stations all over the country have been talking about it non stop.

Cell Phone
: (Smart phone.) I know plenty of people who have cell phones. I know plenty of people who have smart phones. Some of them get email; some don't. Some of them connect to the Internet; some don't. All of them can converse with alacrity, are up on current events, and don't miss needing to connect through a phone instead of face-to-face as you seem to value so highly.

Just for the record, I am, and have been, a computer tech since 1982. I am an adult. My life is complete without social sites or Twitter. I expect some push-back.
I think you're the only one that caught on (or at least it appears so). You even provided additional information to compliment the type of response I was looking for (your relative age)... That helps a lot. Thx.

Yes... assisting. I can only assist since I'm not a PHD student.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 AM

I usually don't help posters with their homework, but this case seemed special. You're welcome.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM

Get Fuzzy Comic Strip, January 02, 2012 on GoComics.com

Poke me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics