Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
The people that are falling behind in society are not the ones without facebook, twitter, or an iphone. The ones falling behind are the ones that spend so much on technology, and the other latest things, that they don't have health insurance, a nest egg, their own home, and have to get a car loan instead of just paying for a car with cash.
Twitter, Facebook, MySpace are all free and really have no impact on one's ability to have health insurance, a nest egg, etc. A cell phone is less than today's cable bill, to put it in perspective.

Also, owning a home (even though I do) is by no means always the best decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I wonder, even though I am involved, if this has become a more convenient way for government and nosy corporations to keep tabs and make unfair judgements about us,
since every other man woman and child, no matter what area, can be seen obliviously texting, googling and facebooking every detail of their lives, wherever you gaze...??
Google and Facebook certainly collect marketing data from their users. Regarding texting, the entire CarrierIQ thing was the fault of the providers and not CarrierIQ. Sprint (maybe others too) have decided to scrap CarrierIQ in efforts to protect users privacy and concerns.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
All I have is a cheap TracFone for emergencies. Prepaid; more minutes than I could ever use in a year. I use regular email from my PC and don't feel the need for FaceBook, Twitter, etc. I don't understand people's obsession with being connected 24/7/365.

(Ha ha - before you all jump on me, I KNOW I'm old fashioned in this regard! )
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Twitter, Facebook, MySpace are all free and really have no impact on one's ability to have health insurance, a nest egg, etc. A cell phone is less than today's cable bill, to put it in perspective.

Also, owning a home (even though I do) is by no means always the best decision.

I was talking about the people that have all the latest gadgets.

An iphone is not cheaper than cable. I pay $19 for basic cable. I have never had a cell phone that cheap. I know of people that think $100 a month is fine for their phone, but don't have the things they should have.

I have yet to meet anyone that came out ahead by being lifetime renters.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Who doesn't have Facebook, Myspace, Twitter and a Cell Phone?
What are your thoughts on people/adults that don't have any of these? Or lets say they only have a cellphone. Do you make any 'judgements' about them based on this? I notice people look at you like you have two heads when you say, you don't have one or all. .

I don't have any of those.

Judge away

Old 12-28-2011, 03:48 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalara View Post
i don't have any of those.

Judge away :d

*lmbo*
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,648,372 times
Where's the poll??

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Where's the poll??
You might want to read the thread before posting.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,589 times
At this point people who don't have a cell phone are just proud of being outside the norm and people who don't understand the appeal of facebook are either part of the cell phone crowd or old. Sorry, tis truth.

Social networking gets you what you put into it. If you log in once a month then of course you're going to think it's a pointless trend. There's not going to be any activity for inactive member. But if you get on once a day then you get to see your friends' new baby pictures, see that your old roommate just got engaged, and find out that there's an event at the art museum this weekend. They're all things you could theoretically find out through other means, but facebook provides a place to bring all these things together in one convenient place.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
I can't believe this.

If you don't trade cows in Farmville, you don't deserve to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics