Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM

61,965 posts, read 87,612,175 times

Advertisements

Advertising is manipulating your choices and influence your spending. It's everywhere and really hard to escape. You simply cannot live without ads if you want to be a part of modern society, but you can reduce the impact it is having on you.
A powerful and successful advertising will create significant memories of a product.
In most you see people who enjoy a lifestyle they couldn't afford, without any monetary concerns ( just look at some TV shows ). So, when you see an ad about a product you know is above you means, you also remember those TV shows and think, it's OK to have it - other do, and are doing fine. Those who watch the shows feel like they also would like to have such lavish lifestyle. They surely "deserve it".
We are constantly receiving messages to want more and more things that we can't afford. So, we borrow heavily, feel poorly about ourselves because we just can't seem to get there, and become addicted to a way of living in hell instead of joy.
Ads in general try to keep you from thinking and, instead, make your buying choices based on an emotional response.
They make you to choose their product basically because they said so. They make you accept any suggestion offered to you.
Many ads are connected with music you like. Next time you hear that music, you will think about the product. Or they place it in a beautiful scenery, somewhere exotic or in a place you dream to visit. Or there is a beautifully Photoshoped woman smiling at you and saying, that all you need is to buy the product and you will look like her.
Some ads tell a little story, story you really want happen to you ... two lovebirds in, say Paris, dressed in the newest fashion, driving luxury cars. Now, all you need to buy this car, and you will experience it for yourself.
Buy now and pay later... this is another successful gimmick. You buy something expensive, you use it for a year or so, and when comes to pay for it, that new thing is not new or exciting anymore - its used and abused, maybe even repaired, maybe you even not like it anymore, but now you need to pay for it.
Giving up ads requires patience and sacrifice. The most important thing is to remember that regardless of how manipulative advertisements can be, your choices are still yours and yours alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM

708 posts, read 1,063,186 times
Geico-rates would be even lower if they didn't run a commercial every other commercial!And here in the NYC radio market-ads for lawyers promising to get you out of trouble with the IRS.Mindless scare tactics.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:49 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,229,667 times
It's not so much the products, but the bleepin' packaging they come in. I figure I have to buy shampoo--no matter how anti-consumer one is, one must wash one's hair--so why not get the one with the extra sample attached, right?

OMG, with the shrink wrap and the plastic that bends your fingernails back so you practically need a hacksaw to get through it so you nearly lose a finger and you end up looking like something out of a horror movie with all of the blood gushing out all over the place.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:05 PM

24,779 posts, read 28,587,908 times
The ultimate gimmick is 3G verses 4G.. I have yet too figure out what the G is... The new cell phones... bling bling bling. More gadgets.. that make noise and flash..more games too turn the mind into cold gruel.. And yes Bigger is Better.. for .49 cents more we will SUPER SIZE that drink... too lazy too walk back over too the beverage machine and get your own refill..
And the new car ads.. now you don't have too be responsible for your car... get in turn the key on..or push the button and zoom down the road at break neck speed snow- ice- deer- a child... do not worry the car will take care of you..because you have no responsibility the car will break for you tell you this and that.. this way you can enjoy your conversation on the cell phone yelling into the air inside your climatic comfort controlled heated seat..zipping down the road listening too you M96 player..sipping your hot cappuccino with out a care in the world because your car will take care of you... no responsibilities what so ever.
Ole man rant...

Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,555,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
The ultimate gimmick is 3G verses 4G.. I have yet too figure out what the G is...
G stands for Generation. That's all.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:37 PM

61,965 posts, read 87,612,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
You know what I do when I get flyers ...advertisements...I through them straight in the recycle bin!!!
There is an easy solution: remove your mailbox and get a POBox. By law you don't need to have a mailbox at your physical address. You just need to have a place where mail could be send to you.
Get the smallest and cheapest box. Believe me, it is worth every penny.
I did it years ago, and now I don't have to be worried about overstuffed mailbox while I am traveling, and all those junk mail/flyers I would receive on a daily basis

Last edited by elnina; 12-17-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 PM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times
I love the mute button on the TV as well.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM

44,676 posts, read 61,787,970 times
At this time of the year it's the Chia-Pet and the Clapper that annoys me the most.
Oh yes the Ove-glove too.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,632,232 times

Dont forget these. lol. Cant do without it.

Was trying to find the jingle, chia-pet.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM

24,779 posts, read 28,587,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
G stands for Generation. That's all.
Gee..that all....woop-t-do..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics