Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 01:00 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

How are we all feeling?

Any workers taking today off?

Now that winter seems to be kicking in my thoughts are turning more and more to winter comfort food. Over the weekend I'll cook Coq Au Vin- chicken in (red) wine, something like this;

BBC - Food - Recipes : Slow cooker coq au vin

The ingredients look pretty straight forward, but have you ever found that you can't find one key ingredient for a favourite recipe?

The POTD is;

Where do I get that ingredient from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,770,195 times
Oh Jezer, it's even worse. How about when you browse the recipes and don't even know what an item is?

Old 11-29-2013, 03:48 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,097,799 times
I just encountered that. I was trying to find dough enhancer and gluten and no stores around me had it (even Walmart didn't carry it). I searched and searched and finally found it at a specialty store. More and more old time products which are used in "cooking from scratch recipes" are disappearing at stores as they are seldom sold.

That recipe looks good Jez.

In my area, employees working for the government (city and state and even federal) and big insurance businesses are off on Friday. Mr. Chickie had to work today, leaving at 3:30 am and he also has to work on Saturday and he's not a happy camper! The nice four day weekend that many people are enjoying went out the window for him.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:08 AM

21,599 posts, read 8,770,819 times
Oh, Chickie, I can sympathize with Mr. Chickie's plight as I spent most of my career working nights, weekends and holidays. It's no fun when the rest of the world is getting ready to celebrate and you have to go to work. (That would make a great peeve.)

Jezer, that recipe does look awfully good. One of the ingredients in it, lardons, might be hard to find here. When a friend of mine and I decided to cook a double recipe of Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon, we had to go to a butcher for the special thick cut of pork fat that Julia specified and then we made our own lardons by trimming the fat into strips, tying it with string, then frying it. What a job that was!

It is frustrating when you can't find an ingredient. I went through that recently with the Luxury Smoked Fish Pie that you were kind enough to post a link to. You can't find boneless kippers, smoked haddock or Arbroath smokies here, at least not where I live.

However a creative cook can always come up with a reasonable substitution. Regular bacon could substitute for lardons in the Coq au Vin recipe, and I used all canned salmon to make the fish pie. It was wonderful, too! I still have a couple of portions tucked away in the freezer for some night when I need some winter comfort food but don't feel like cooking.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:24 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,097,799 times
Re: Lardons and the missing/where do I get this ingredient ....when I was in culinary school and also when I worked as a chef many moons ago, we used salt cured jowl meat or salt pork as a substitute for Lardons. I don't think I've ever seen or been able to get Lardons in US.

Bay...that smoked fish pie sounds so good right now. I'm hungry!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:31 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times
I think we have tomorrow's peeve sorted!

Thanks girls, and commiserations to Mr Chickie.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:51 AM

36,463 posts, read 16,071,101 times
I'm not that creative and don't cook much so not much of a peeve. I am, however working today, caregivers don't get days off. Have a good friday everyone

Old 11-29-2013, 05:37 AM

126,365 posts, read 19,126,048 times
Good day Jezer hope you are well and do have a wonderful weekend

Where do I get that ingredient from?Yes I did have that problem before and my kids decided to buy me the book "The Food Substitutions Bible",since than my problem was always solved

Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,308,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Oh Jezer, it's even worse. How about when you browse the recipes and don't even know what an item is?
I remember this happening a few years ago. The recipe called for chorizo and at that time, I had never heard of it.

Just say spicy sausage, no?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:42 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,338,711 times
I so agree with that peeve! It can be so annoying!

PS for Jezer : you know that technically it's a rooster you're supposed to cook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics