Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 03:31 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Calabash........but if you're olde enuf to remember it, you're also olde enuf to misremember it
You're right,it was Mrs. Calabash,but does anybody know who Mrs. Calabash was and how Jimmy Duranty came to use that famous line of his in his closing?

Last edited by ptsum; 05-16-2008 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Remember when TV screens were round? Our first color TV made you feel like you were watching it through binoculars at the neighbors' or something.
That is something that I didn't think of - color TVs!

We never had one until a couple of years after I was married, although they had been around for quite a few years. I think we bought one in 1975. What a treat!! Now, only plasma will do.

Round is good!

A popular theory for the Mrs. Calabash line - "Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are." - refers to his dear, late wife. They lived in a CA town called Calabasas. Apparently, he never did reveal exactly what the meaning of his beloved line was. Jimmy Durante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
I can't believe you remember the plastic sheet to put on the tv while watching Captain Kangaroo! I couldn't remember which show had you do that, but it was fun!
How about ON tv, the first cable box?
Putting playing cards attached with clothes pins on the spokes of your bike tires?
Lloyd Thaxton and the talking hand?
Ninth Street West with Sam Riddle?
Hollywood A GO GO with Sam Riddle
Where the Action is with Paul Revere and the Raiders?
Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney Time with Knuckle Head Smith?
Felix the Cat?
The Beatles cartoons on Saturday morning, to name just a few.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
When it was so cool to have a 76 ball on your antenna.
When you would read the cereal box while eating.
And on a down note, watching Oswald killed on live t.v. by Jack Ruby and Robert Kennedy after his wonderful speech at the Ambassador Hotel in Hollywood. Old enough to remember losing Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morriston to name a few.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Soda fountains, DA haircuts, Disc jockeys who would spin around and count down, stacks of wax.

Puff--- Why can't I still read my cereal box?

Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Puff--- Why can't I still read my cereal box?
And why do I no longer want to?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
That is something that I didn't think of - color TVs!

We never had one until a couple of years after I was married, although they had been around for quite a few years. I think we bought one in 1975. What a treat!! Now, only plasma will do.

Round is good!

A popular theory for the Mrs. Calabash line - "Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are." - refers to his dear, late wife. They lived in a CA town called Calabasas. Apparently, he never did reveal exactly what the meaning of his beloved line was. Jimmy Durante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash wherever you are" Mrs. Calabash was really Mrs.Lucille "Lucy" Coleman,It seems that back in 1940, Jimmy Durante and his group was touring a little seaside community in Calabash, North Carolina bordering South Carolina.Him and his troupe are said to have stopped in her restaurant for supper one night and Jimmy Durante beckoned her over to his table for some short chitchat,"I'm going to make you famous" vowed Durante,thinking she recognized his well-known face.(In fact,At that moment she didn't even know who he was!) Lucy's daughter, Clarice Holden,Says she will never forget what happened next. As Mr. Durante and his group were walking out the door after their meal,Clarice recalls,he turned to my mom and said,"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash."
It wasn't long afterward that the popular entertainer began signing off his radio show with a similar message.

By the time of Durante's death in 1980,it had become one of his trademarks.

Residents of Calabash,North Carolina Believed it was Duranty's way of saying to Mrs. Coleman, "Hi, Lucy--I remember you,If you're still out there now."

Lucy Coleman passed away in 1989,nearly 50 years after her meeting with Jimmy Durante.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
1968. 29 cent gas in houston. fillup on my VW bug was 3 bucks.
apt (above garage) was 80 bucks a month.
i made 13.50 hr at Armco steel plus mucho overtime (bout starting wage for a lota jobs now) and i had lots of hair. and i was grateful. there you go there is the old guy speech (actually i am still grateful)

Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I remember the good ol’ days when gas at the pump was just a little over $1.00 a gal. and that was only 7 years ago.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:43 AM

1957, gasoline at $.15 a gallon, two-bedroom apartment,$80.00 a month, paycheck $120.00 a week. Prince George's County, Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics