Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I'm so old I remember... All you could eat fried clams at Howard Johnson's and 28 Flavors of Real Hand Packed Ice Cream Cones..
Ooh! Not at the same time I hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I remember Eisenhower being elected.
I remember the day FDR died.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Now thats funny. I remember when they sold cigarettes in machines.

I remember when there was no white out, you had those little white sheets you had to back up the typewriter and type over this white paper the same letter that was a mistake to blot it out.
I remember using a typing eraser and having to erase sometimes 6 carbon copies for every mistake I made while typing. When I first started typing the typewriters were manual. Do people still do Dictaphones? Then there were master copies typed and you had to print from them. Xerox came later.

My husband remembers when you picked up the telephone and the operator said, "Number please." His baby brother told the operator he wanted to speak to Daddy and the operator knew which number his dad worked at so she dialed him. I don't remember that because I didn't have a telephone until I was in high school and there were dial phones by then, but a party line and we had a shut-in neighbor who listened into all the calls that were made. We didn't mind because she was lonely. She didn't say anything; she just listened.

Last edited by NCN; 02-21-2018 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ooh! Not at the same time I hope?
Yes.... clams... and then desert... 28 flavors of ice cream... My favorite was Surf & Turf..

Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,418,902 times
Quote:
So sad.. are culture is driven by hate - greed..
I (and many others on this forum) are old enough to remember when civility in the public arena was expected and rude, disrespectful behavior was condemned by all. Today we have high profile people--entertainers, athletes, politicians, corporate world figures, etc.--who suffer no consequences for their hateful behavior. An example--the editor of Teen Vogue will be condemned by some for her hateful attack upon Billy Graham yesterday but will she lose her job and not be able to find another one? Not in today's world. I absolutely deplore the decline in public civility seen--and accepted--today.

Teen Vogue

Old 02-22-2018, 07:40 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,418,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I remember using a typing eraser and having to erase sometimes 6 carbon copies for every mistake I made while typing. When I first started typing the typewriters were manual. Do people still do Dictaphones? Then there were master copies typed and you had to print from them. Xerox came later.

My husband remembers when you picked up the telephone and the operator said, "Number please." His baby brother told the operator he wanted to speak to Daddy and the operator knew which number his dad worked at so she dialed him. I don't remember that because I didn't have a telephone until I was in high school and there were dial phones by then, but a party line and we had a shut-in neighbor who listened into all the calls that were made. We didn't mind because she was lonely. She didn't say anything; she just listened.
I remember all these things, too--the carbon copies, the erasers, Dictaphones, party lines--even the term "shut-in" to describe an old person unable to leave their house on their own. Today these people are called "home bound".

Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I (and many others on this forum) are old enough to remember when civility in the public arena was expected and rude, disrespectful behavior was condemned by all. Today we have high profile people--entertainers, athletes, politicians, corporate world figures, etc.--who suffer no consequences for their hateful behavior. An example--the editor of Teen Vogue will be condemned by some for her hateful attack upon Billy Graham yesterday but will she lose her job and not be able to find another one? Not in today's world. I absolutely deplore the decline in public civility seen--and accepted--today.

Teen Vogue
Exactly right.^^^

Decorum anyone?
The response from Lauren Duca and people like her: "Decorum? What the blank is that?!"

Our culture, our world, now celebrates foul, outlandish, brash speech and editorials. Oh, yeah, and lifestyles.

Anyway, I'm so old I remember this saying:

"This world is going to Hell in a hand basket!"

Indeed, most of it is.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Yes.... clams... and then desert... 28 flavors of ice cream... My favorite was Surf & Turf..
I guess I'm old enough to remember when my stomach could have taken that combination at the same time and even enjoyed it.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Exactly right.^^^

Decorum anyone?
The response from Lauren Duca and people like her: "Decorum? What the blank is that?!"

Our culture, our world, now celebrates foul, outlandish, brash speech and editorials. Oh, yeah, and lifestyles.

Anyway, I'm so old I remember this saying:

"This world is going to Hell in a hand basket!"

Indeed, most of it is.
I was glad that my mom didn't have a hand basket.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I guess I'm old enough to remember when my stomach could have taken that combination at the same time and even enjoyed it.
The good old days: when I could eat a hot dog with everything and not suffer any consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics