Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 08:49 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I remember when people trusted the government.

and the government was trustworthy.

sort of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 08:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
I'm so old I remember an uncle (actually a 1st cousin, 1 time removed, I think) relating the story of how frightened his family became in 1910 when Halley's Comet came by. That particular uncle was born in 1902.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:44 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I am so OLD...

Stopped smoking decades ago.
Stopped drinking yrs ago.
Stopped using weed months ago.
Stopped having Sex two days ago.
** Still smoking, haven't partook of alkyhol in decades, ain't done a Doobie since Carter was Prez, sex...uh..whats that i forget..

Old 08-19-2021, 01:05 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Today is a milestone for me As it is my birthday.
My memories are history to most of today's generation.
No need to repeat some things that a few slotted too.
Many nice times along with a few bad times...such was my life.
Oh..sort of forgot to give my age
45 yrs old (2 nd time )
happy belated birthday!

Old 08-24-2021, 10:16 AM

3,263 posts, read 1,742,217 times
Jacky Gleason's "The life of Riley" tv show.
Most tv shows broadcasted in black & white.
Saturday morning Looney Tunes cartoons
Laughing my butt off at Roadrunner outfoxing the coyote.
Our school principal announcing "They've shot the President !" and everybody crying.
Televised reminders reminders for resident aliens to register and walking with my mother to fill out the card.
Glass thermos bottle liners, drop it once and it'd break.
The trans Atlantic cable
"party lines" on the phone. You'd pick up the phone to make a call and other people would be talking.
Test patterns on the tv when the broadcast day was over.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:04 AM

24,454 posts, read 25,987,852 times
I remember on TV 50 (1971)
years ago,

The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour
Soul Train
McMillian And Wife
The Waltons
The Electric Company
Up stairs, Down Stairs
All In The Family
Columbo

Old 08-25-2021, 11:46 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I remember on TV 50 (1971)
years ago,

The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour
Soul Train
McMillian And Wife
The Waltons
The Electric Company
Up stairs, Down Stairs
All In The Family
Columbo

I never missed Soul Train. Went to a taping of it once.

"All In The Family" - so funny. Wish we could still have sitcoms like that again. That was back when people could laugh and not have to look over your shoulder to see who was watching.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:28 PM

10,100 posts, read 1,022,663 times
I remember when we used the term "Birds & the Bees" to talk about the facts of life.

Now there are birds & birds, and bees & bees.
There are birds that want to be bees.
There are bees that used to be birds.
There are birds that have bee parts but identify as a bird.
There are bees that wish they had bird parts.

my head hurts...

Old 08-25-2021, 05:08 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I never missed Soul Train. Went to a taping of it once.

"All In The Family" - so funny. Wish we could still have sitcoms like that again. That was back when people could laugh and not have to look over your shoulder to see who was watching.
It's strange, I loved All in the Family when I was a kid, but I don't think I could even watch an episode of it today. I don't have any desire to see 1970s sitcoms like that any more. Though I guess if I had to watch that or something made today, I would probably choose 70s sitcoms. Just because everything made in the last 20 or 30 years is so bland and boring.

On the other hand 1970s music and variety shows, like Soul Train were amazing. I loved most all of them and could still watch those today. I still do watch clips from them on YouTube all the time.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:35 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's strange, I loved All in the Family when I was a kid, but I don't think I could even watch an episode of it today. I don't have any desire to see 1970s sitcoms like that any more. Though I guess if I had to watch that or something made today, I would probably choose 70s sitcoms. Just because everything made in the last 20 or 30 years is so bland and boring.

On the other hand 1970s music and variety shows, like Soul Train were amazing. I loved most all of them and could still watch those today. I still do watch clips from them on YouTube all the time.

Carrol O'Conner made racial prejudice funny. I could laugh at it because he portrayed the stereotype in a ridiculous but funny way. Archie wasn't a threat to anyone--he was who he was and he was funny. I wasn't offended by it then and I wouldn't be today either. People are who they are and as long as they aren't rude, nasty, mean to animals or children or a threat to anyone, I can take them or leave them.

"Golden Girls" is my all time favorite sitcom. Those four ladies were all so different from each other and they played their parts perfectly. Betty White is the only one left and is now 99 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics