Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2021, 05:44 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I’m so old I remember watching Dobie Gillis....Thalia Menninger and Maynard G Krebs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 06:21 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m so old I remember watching Dobie Gillis....Thalia Menninger and Maynard G Krebs.
I remember that too. Even as a little boy, I did not understand why Dobie did not become Zelda's boyfriend, when Zelda was a good-looking girl who was interested in him. Instead, Dobie kept chasing after girls who had no interest in him.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:47 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I remember when one-bathroom houses were for the middle class.

Right. My parents were depression era kids who became adults during WWII. I remember the first home they owned in the 50’s. It was a prefab built by the Gunnison Co. One bath, three tiny bedrooms on a concrete slab with green linoleum floors.

They were built in large numbers in the suburbs at the time. There was a housing shortage and prefabs were relatively cheap and easy to assemble. At the time this was considered middle class living. And many of theses homes are still around.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:44 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Beer Cans No pop top.. you used a church key to pierce the top
Glass & Beer Bottle no twist of.. need the church key to open
Hold you hand over the carburetor on a cold winters day for starting along with either.
Home Telephone Black with a rotary dial and cloth cord you wired to the base molding. And the party line. You had up too 6--8 people. You just answered when you heard the correct number of rings..
Cloth diapers no disposable . Same as no paper towels . and Toilet Paper or corn cobs and the out house.
Oil Lamps every home had them. Coal fired stoves along with wood.
Bicycles came with 1 speed. Fancy ones had 3 speed

Old 07-22-2021, 04:20 AM

8 posts, read 8,024 times
I remember love letters written on a sheet of paper and dropped to your classmate. No phones yet.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:01 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Orange Julius

Old 07-22-2021, 06:15 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Old enuff to remember when the only 'approved' life for most young men back then was getting married, raising a family, and becoming a "Good Provider". For better or for worse, Playboy permanently changed all that.
How Playboy founder Hugh Hefner changed the western world
When Hugh Hefner published the first Playboy magazine from his kitchen in 1953, no one could have predicted the cultural juggernaut it would become.

It soon became the biggest men’s magazine in the world, selling seven million copies a month at the height of its success.

Hefner said he started the magazine in part because he was “raised in a lot of repression” in a strict Methodist household. “The major civilizing force in the world is not religion,” he wrote in the Playboy manifesto, “it is sex.” In an interview later in life, Hefner declared that “in terms of pop culture and sexual attitudes, we do live in a Playboy world now.”

Old 07-22-2021, 07:47 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Old enuff to remember when the only 'approved' life for most young men back then was getting married, raising a family, and becoming a "Good Provider". For better or for worse, Playboy permanently changed all that.
I'm not sure Playboy changed anything that much. According to Social Security only 4% of men and woman have never been married by the time they retire. It doesn't seem that people are no longer getting married, they are just waiting a lot longer. I'm not sure that Playboy has much to do with that. I expect that has more to do with financial reasons.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:23 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Well, for Playboy being 'ineffectual', we sure wouldn't know it judging by all the 'vitriol' over the years from both the angry 'gender feminists', and the 'wingers, who've even claimed it's helped bring about the downfall of the Family, and the 'Murikin Way of Life!

Old 07-23-2021, 05:42 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I think that's a chicken/egg thing.

The publication wouldn't be a success with out people buying it.
People couldn't buy it without it being published.

i do remember it being passed around in school and hidden in lockers. if you wanted to get someone in trouble, you could squeeze it through the hole in someone's locker then report the to a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics