Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 01:54 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The old radio couldn't get the signal. My 1960s transistor couldn't get FM.
Mine too. LOL. I think I listened exclusively to AM radio into the 1980s. About the time I bought my first boombox in the early 80s I started listening to FM stations to get stereo sound, but I still listened to AM a lot. There was still a lot of good music on AM in the 1980s and I liked the fact that I could listen to AM stations from farther away for more variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I remember when you could call a radio station DJ and make requests for the songs you wanted to hear.

I also remember when radio stations didn't have FM. Or maybe it was because our 1930's vintage radio wasn't able to pick up FM signals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGKrgJZhpzk

Old 07-03-2022, 06:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Mine too. LOL. I think I listened exclusively to AM radio into the 1980s. About the time I bought my first boombox in the early 80s I started listening to FM stations to get stereo sound, but I still listened to AM a lot. There was still a lot of good music on AM in the 1980s and I liked the fact that I could listen to AM stations from farther away for more variety.

Few cars came with FM radio back then, and the cheaper aftermarket units had poor FM reception. Now there is so much RF interference that it is difficult to listen to AM radio. I had an AM stereo car radio at one point. I just bought a Sangean HDT-20 HD tuner. It was difficult to obtain. I wonder if it has been discontinued. Without HD radio in my area, you are limited to NPR or a 6 commercial marathon, followed by a Katy Perry song. Oh, the humanity!

Old 07-03-2022, 07:27 AM

375 posts, read 318,910 times
<< I remember when if a boy asked you to wear his letterman's sweater and class ring, it meant you were "going steady." Is that even a thing anymore?!>>

Hadn’t thought of that in years but I am old enough to remember it. Wrapping your boyfriends class ring with angora yarn- the fluffier the better-and wearing it was a really popular thing. Some girls changed the color of the yarn everyday to match their outfit.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:34 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

I never knew there was a song about this.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:38 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
On that note, I remember when boar bristle hairbrushes were all the rage. I had long hair, so they didn't work - they couldn't go through all that hair.

I also remember when "bonnet" hair dryers were the norm. You can still get them on Amazon.

We were told to "brush our hair 100 strokes every night".

I had a bonnet hair dryer "back in the day". We used to put our hair up in curlers every time we washed it and then dry it in the bonnet hair dryer. A curling iron is so much easier.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:42 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
I always loved the song but what is the song about?

Old 07-07-2022, 08:59 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
We were told to "brush our hair 100 strokes every night".

I had a bonnet hair dryer "back in the day". We used to put our hair up in curlers every time we washed it and then dry it in the bonnet hair dryer. A curling iron is so much easier.
Somewhere around here I have a picture of my husband (when we started dating) sitting under my old bonnet hair dryer after I had set his hair for fun. He had long, thick, luxurious hair. I recall doing that two or three times. I love how easy-going he was.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Haha, that was a pretty good one-hit wonder. The radio stations picked it up in early 1980. By the summer time it seemed like every radio station was playing it every hour. By the end of the year, it was gone, never to be heard again. But I liked it. I still had it recorded on a cassette tape and listened to it for a while after that.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I always loved the song but what is the song about?

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The lyrics are from the point of view of a woman who frequently listens, late at night, to a radio disc jockey whom she calls a "pilot of the airwaves," keeping what has often been called the "dawn patrol." She admits that she has few real-life friends and that the DJ keeps her as much company as she believes she needs, describing her life and the feelings she has surrounding the fact that she considers the radio DJ her only true friend. The DJ does not need to play the selection she has requested; she does hope the DJ will do his best along those lines, adding:

I've been listening to your show on the radio,
And you seem like a friend to me.
Pilot of the Airwaves - Wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics