Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 06:08 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,610,974 times

Advertisements

I'm so old I can rememborie planting a Victory Garden inour back yard. Darn carrots never did grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 06:18 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,897,377 times
I'm so old I remember the payment on my first car was $62 a mo. (no $$ down). It was a used 1964 Kharman Ghia convertible. Wow if that car could've talked!!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,970,290 times
(this is true, btw)

I'm so old I remember that I remembered something to add to this thread last night while I was away, but for the life of me I can't remember what that was.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:56 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,512,619 times
I'm so old I remember Watergate being on TV, I remember Nixon's resignation.

One time during the hearings my parents and I went for a walk, someone had taken the tape out of a cassette tape and left it along side the road, my Dad made the joke that it must be the Watergate tapes.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:12 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,975,354 times
I remember when receiving change at the stores, I would get Indian head pennies at times and also the liberty dime. They replaced the liberty dime with the new Eisenhower.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,512,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember when receiving change at the stores, I would get Indian head pennies at times and also the liberty dime. They replaced the liberty dime with the new Eisenhower.
I remember seeing the occasional steel pennies as well. When I worked in New England, in retail about 20 years ago I would get the OLD money from time to time. I still have the money.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:13 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,573,533 times
More from me...
I remember when our phonograph was a wind-up, and played 78 RPMs.( I still have many of the records, including Rudy Vallee [sp])
I remember the railroad running by our field, with the loud whistle, and big puff of black smoke.
I remember the snow being so deep my dad would walk the 8 miles to town along the railroad track. He would stay all night and return home the next day....many times.
I remember my first car at age 19...a maroon 1939 Ford coupe.( I rolled it down a ten foot embankment in Nevada. The car still ran, but was no longer pretty. I wasn't hurt. I was still 19.
I remember pitching hay into the hay mow over the top of the cow's stalls and mangers.In the heat of the summer.
I remember swinging on the barn's rafters when there was no or little hay in the barn( my parents didn't know we were doing that!)
I remember my older sister building a raft out of wood that she took out of the railroad cars, and we all floated on the ponds on it.( I have a very small photograph of that.)
I remember my first camera. A Starflash Brownie. I still have it. I sent for it out of a catalog when I was 13.
I remember a cyclone that came through our place in Idaho and turned the shed over that had loose hay in, leaving the hay intact. It also moved the smoke house to a differant location, and deposited several sheep in our yard. No body claimed them, so we kept them.
I remember the bums from the train coming to our house asking for food. My mother would put them to spliting firewood while she fixed them a sandwich.
I remember, when I was a young teen, walking the 3 and 1/2 miles to town, by myself, to see a movie, or go to a fair, then walking home again in the dark.
I remember riding my dad's workhorse to town to see a movie, and tying it up in the alley behind the Smoke Shop. It was always still there when I came back for it.
I remember going to see Gone With the Wind when it first came out.
I remember getting a perm when I was in grade school, and the perm machine had things you pull down and clamp on the hair. I was thinking...what if the building got on fire?
I remember riding in the dogsled of the mailman who came from a town about 20 miles away on the sled because the snow was too deep for another type vehicle.
I remember falling off the haystack that I had 'built out the corners' to my dad's specifications. The corner and I, and the pitchfork, landed on the ground.

I guess that is enough 'remembering' from me this time. :-)

Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,975,354 times
Flash cubes for camera?
Carbon paper to copies?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM

24,605 posts, read 26,169,497 times
Running boards on cars.
Bulbs for headlights instead of sealed beams.
Standing in front of the oven to get warm on winter mornings.
Light swithces in the fouse that were push buttons.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,141,606 times
Hood ornaments!! Every 3 years my parents bought a new Pontiac, so we were always riding behind a Pontiac Indian!

ONLY black and white photos!! And the camera was a Zeiss for a grownup, or a Kodak Brownie for a kid!

"Children", not "kids" which was a word used for only baby goats.

The waxed paper my mother wrapped my lunch sandwich in every day.

Mary Janes and white socks.

Penny loafers, with a penny in each.

Witch hazel!!!! (OMG, I can actually still smell that!)

Sasparilla soda.

Thinning shears for home hair-cutting.

Short pants worn by the little boys in the early grades at school.

The first "credit cards" which were store charge cards, like at Macy's Herald Square.

Free windshield wash and oil check while the station attendant filled your gas tank.

Sunoco stations.

Bench front seats in cars.

Kitchen refrigerators with rounded tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics