Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 06:09 PM

21,553 posts, read 8,733,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
OK, time for a quick laugh.
In the 50's when my kids had a head cold with running nose etc (you get the picture).

At bedtime I would wrap a Smelly sock around their nec and in the morning NO red nose.

As an adult it also worked for me also...

Anyone ever try it?

No, but I'm so old I remember when I had a cold, Mom would lay me on the bed face up with my head hanging over the edge, then put Vicks Vatronol drops in my nose. This was basically liquid Vapo Rub. I wish they still made it.

I remember Engineer Bill, too. He dressed in a train engineer's striped overalls and hat. When the "Green Light" signal was superimposed on the screen, Bill would call out "Green light!" and we kids were supposed to start drinking our milk. We couldn't stop until Engineer Bill said "Red Light."

At the end of every show, Bill would sign off by saying something that sounded like "Happy highballs!" I was confused and asked my mother what a highball was. She said it was an alcoholic drink. I could never figure out why Engineer Bill was telling kids to go out and get drunk!

I think now that what he must have been saying was "Happy highballing," an old railroading term for traveling fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Vick's vapor rub put on my chest when little, to combat flu at night...
Remember the all night Electric Vicks Vaporizer .. spoon of Vicks in the pot.. water then plug it in. Brown cotton cord no ground... it would heat the water / Vicks and vaporize the room..

Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
I remember those drive-in movies of the 50’s & 60’s. Don't ask don't tell....................

Old 12-27-2017, 08:57 PM

21,553 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Remember the all night Electric Vicks Vaporizer .. spoon of Vicks in the pot.. water then plug it in. Brown cotton cord no ground... it would heat the water / Vicks and vaporize the room..
We never had one of those, but once I spent the night with a cousin who had a cold and the vaporizer ran all night in her room. I thought that the mentholated steam was the last word in luxury, so soothing.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:07 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Default gas station maps

I remember those gas station folding maps that were free to travelers. Dad would seem to get them then the family vacations or trips were taken. I’d enjoy saving them for years later. I always thought of collecting all 48 states back then but it wasn’t in the cards. My sisters could open them but never seemed to know how to fold ‘em back up…………. always made me angry……. lol

Old 12-28-2017, 11:09 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Watching for Burma Shave sighs along the highways.

Barns painted with a advertisement for Mail Pouch Tobacco.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Burger Chef was the first fast food place in our city.

Hamburger $.25

Old 12-28-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember those gas station folding maps that were free to travelers. Dad would seem to get them then the family vacations or trips were taken. I’d enjoy saving them for years later. I always thought of collecting all 48 states back then but it wasn’t in the cards. My sisters could open them but never seemed to know how to fold ‘em back up…………. always made me angry……. lol
Remember the " Giant Green Inflatable Dinosaurs" it was bigger than a car.. Free when you filled up.. Bug the parents..I get the dinosaurs what ... my foot was bigger than this piece of and thin cheap plastic what a let down..

Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 PM

I'm so old I remember this..

Stopping at " Stuckey's " Mom / Dad go for the Pee-Con Logs 47 cents each... I go for the ultimate cool toy.. 68 cents.. as I sit in the back seat and go up and down bong de bong ..... are we there yet ...bouncing bong-de-bong on the rear seat as " Dad" gives me the look.. in the rear view mirror

Old 12-28-2017, 01:22 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
Recall going to McD for their .10 cent burger deal.
Wife would prepare the tom/lettuce etc at home then we went to the local drive in movie on a Sat night. Soda in cans 2/25 cents then.
Cheap family meals and entertainment.
Just look at today's prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics