Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2021, 10:11 AM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Good article.

While I was with USDA, I worked mostly with the plant side of agriculture (crops) although as a port officer we had to deal with the import\export of some animal products. Domestically speaking, very rarely did I have to meander off somewhere with the Department's vets such as in the mad cow thing. My former professional familiarity with the problems involved with American ranching are extremely limited but I suspect many of the same problems that ranchers have farmers also have, especially in getting satisfactory product prices.

In the article I believe the fellow from Tysons when he says the larger plants have problems in getting sufficient workers but that will also be a problem for the smaller rancher-owned plants, if meat producers tend to go back to that. Just yesterday I was at a local Sonic Drive-in that had had ALL of their pull-ins spots closed due to a a severe shortage of workers. It's seems to be a growing problem in a lot of industries, large and small.

The ranchers' plan sounds similar to the idea around grain Coops where local farmers can store their grains until they can get a better price for it on the market. Unfortunately for ranchers, grains have much longer, and a lot less expensive, storage characteristics than fresh meat.

I'm no economist by any means but it seems like the consolidation of small businesses is the only obvious way a small business in the current business world can survive these days. I wonder how many small mom & pop stores, and even small towns, have died as a result of Walmart?

I hope I'm wrong and I wish the ranchers all the luck in the world getting a trend going. I'm thinking that raising livestock and trying to make a living from it these days is a much tougher business than my meager complaints about being a residential landlord.
I have made a list of local places that raise and sell cattle. Next step is to get the family on going in buying one and splitting the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 10:45 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Will I get government cheese?
Hey! Are they doing that again? I have lots of time these days to stand in line.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
We were told in economics class that "Funeral by funeral, economics makes progress." Enough economists have died since the 1970s that the following ideas are no longer seriously considered:
wage & price controls
gasoline rationing
thermostat controls-if it won't fly in California, it won't fly anywhere in the US:
https://www.heartland.org/news-opini...me-thermostats

The family cars my parents had in the 1970s got at most 16 mpg city. My first car was a 1975 Chevrolet Impala with a bad camshaft: it got 8 mpg. Now I have a Buick Encore that gets 26 mpg, plus I drive a lot less.

One good thing from the 1970s that's coming back is ABBA. They are releasing a new album in November. Doesn't look like Elvis will be releasing a new album, though.
Not sure how I missed yours and Gerania's replies yesterday but caught them today.

I recall having a '68 Chevy II Nova and a '71 Chevy Cheyenne 1/2 ton truck in about 1975. Both had small block V8 engines and neither did very well on gasoline. That was about the time we were living in an old mobile home in eastern NM that the SW winter just winds right threw. Impossible to heat.

I had just seen that news about ABBA. Did they ever put out anything that wasn't great? Don't mind if they take another run at it at all.

However, in regard to Elvis, I just saw him over at CostCo getting gas in his old Caddy!

Old 10-23-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I have made a list of local places that raise and sell cattle. Next step is to get the family on going in buying one and splitting the cost.
Yes. I'm seeing a few ads in our local CraigsLists for freezer beef and feeder calves these days.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:41 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times
Quote:
I just heard that bacon prices have gone through the roof. Dang! I hate it when that happens.
Quote:
^^ Looks like all meat prices are going up.
Not to happy. Thinking about buying into a 1/2 beef cow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Gas $3.25 a gallon today. Bacon over $11
It’s the same in the UK. The cost of housing, transport, fuel, food and everything else is going up and up. It’s ridiculously expensive to live in the UK, and it’s just going to get worse.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I don't blame you! I love poppies. I'd post a photo of mine but they're gone now. Busy making seeds for next year.

oh wait- maybe this will work.

https://www.jigidi.com/created.php?id=0c02m8sk
Quote:
Star, her'e some California poppies for you.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7stByMTF3...onniePoppy.JPG
I forgot to tell you both - I did manage to grow a few Californian Poppies in my garden, up until a couple of weeks ago. The weather has turned colder now, with quite a bit of rain, so that is the end of this year’s crop. I’ll try again in the Spring.

I’m also going to try some Sunflowers next year. I’ve got some seeds from a place in Swansea in Wales, where they had a load of Sunflowers in the fields there, and you could pick your own flowers. They were beautiful, and I would love them to grow in my garden next year.

And I have just realised that I am NOT complaining in the ‘Complaint Thread’. We can’t have that, can we?!

Old 10-23-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
It’s the same in the UK. The cost of housing, transport, fuel, food and everything else is going up and up. It’s ridiculously expensive to live in the UK, and it’s just going to get worse.
I think my future grandson-in-law's grandmother is placing, or has placed, her home up for sale at Manchester after he makes it over here this next week. From the pics he has shared with me in the past it appears to me to be just a rowhouse with a small garden in the rear. I think he had told me it was worth over a million dollars a year ago? Is that possible?

Old 10-23-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I think my future grandson-in-law's grandmother is placing, or has placed, her home up for sale at Manchester after he makes it over here this next week. From the pics he has shared with me in the past it appears to me to be just a rowhouse with a small garden in the rear. I think he had told me it was worth over a million dollars a year ago? Is that possible?
From what you have described, it just sounds like a normal terraced house in Manchester. No, I don’t think it’s possible that it would be worth the equivalent of £725,000! That’s way too high. Even half of that value, would be quite high for a terraced house in Manchester.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
From what you have described, it just sounds like a normal terraced house in Manchester. No, I don’t think it’s possible that it would be worth the equivalent of £725,000! That’s way too high. Even half of that value, would be quite high for a terraced house in Manchester.
Sorry but I don't know any more about it than what I have said. I too had thought that was very high from the pics I had seen. Maybe I misunderstood my GS-in-law? We were speaking over a video phone and he speaks a different English than my Texas English.

Oops! I had better have a complaint here I guess. Let's see? How about I took all my ACS out of the windows and now I'm sweating to the oldies. Nearly 90F right now at 6:11 pm.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 10-23-2021 at 05:10 PM..

Old 10-25-2021, 05:39 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
I’m just not getting the put in your cart in order to find out the price.

Is that where they try to glue the item to your cart? There’s a real super small x, it’s there somewhere kind of scam. Ha, ha, looks like you bought that sweeper kind of management deal. House takes 5% of sales. Wink, wink. Yes, I’m being a bit sarcastic.

Why should online and in store sales where you can’t find the price on something but you also can’t readily find someone who will help you locate the price, be any different? I’m sure that someone out there to throw that in my face. Either case, I suppose. Yes, you could take the item up front to customer service. I would too most likely unless the item is big and bulky. Then, not so much. I only wait around for so long. If no one is around, I lose interest. The store probably loses sales on unmarked items too. Wonder if the stores have/can get a robot for that? There’s robots going around in some stores to detect spills. I’m sure some whiz kid can program a robot to seek items that haven’t been properly marked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics