Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,084,786 times

Advertisements

WHO KNEW THIS???

I have been driving for nearly 60 years... I would think I should have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was staring me in the face the whole time...I didn't...and I bet you didn't either...

Have you ever rented or borrowed a car and when arriving at the gas station wondered...mmm, which side is the gas filler cap?
My normal solution was to stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look, try to see in the side mirrors or even get out of the car!
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.

If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump?
The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the gas pump?
If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left? If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right . It is that simple!

Don't feel dumb, just go out and share the world's best kept auto secret with your friends.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,676,825 times
I never knew THANKS. That would have made a great question of the day.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,939,780 times
What do I win since I knew this?!?! And please don't say "A Broylhill dinnete set"!

I own a '94 Impala SS and it fuels via the rear, behind the license plate. I've actually never looked to see which way the nozzle on the icon is facing... maybe it's pointed straight at me!

LOL

Last edited by canibeyou; 10-01-2008 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Typo's! Of course! ;)

Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,787,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
WHO KNEW THIS???

I have been driving for nearly 60 years... I would think I should have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was staring me in the face the whole time...I didn't...and I bet you didn't either...

Have you ever rented or borrowed a car and when arriving at the gas station wondered...mmm, which side is the gas filler cap?
My normal solution was to stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look, try to see in the side mirrors or even get out of the car!
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.

If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump?
The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the gas pump?
If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left? If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right . It is that simple!

Don't feel dumb, just go out and share the world's best kept auto secret with your friends.......

Ha! I am going to have to look for the icon. I am wondering if my husband knows this???? It would really make me laugh to know something about a car that he doesn't!!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,009,381 times
snopes.com: Gas Pump Icon and Fuel Door

According to Snopes.com this isn't true.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,939,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
snopes.com: Gas Pump Icon and Fuel Door

According to Snopes.com this isn't true.

Perhaps it's a great coincidence than because it rings true on all my cars. Hmmm...

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,535,910 times
I actually grabbed my keys from the rack, ran down the stairs, out the tv room doors, got into my car and turned the key...Sure enough that little gas thingy was on the left side! Same as my gas tank! Thanks Bones, I just can't wait to tell everyone in the family

Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
My 2 vehicles have an arrow > pointing from the icon to the side the gas filler is on.
My son's truck has an icon with a gun pointed at him and when it gets close to empty the gunman starts to smile.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,891,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
My 2 vehicles have an arrow > pointing from the icon to the side the gas filler is on.
My son's truck has an icon with a gun pointed at him and when it gets close to empty the gunman starts to smile.
LOL.. I guess that gives the term "Highway Roberry" a new meaning!

I never paid any attention to which direction the gas nozzle is pointing, if I need to know what side the gas door is on, especially when I pick up a rental car, I usually take a look at it before I pick it up to inspect it and make sure there is no damage on it, and I also check to see what side the gas filler cap is on.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,929 times
That is really cool.. Bones!!! All these years getting out looking for which side! Geeze! And it was right in front of me all the time....I wonder if it mention it in our car manuals? Never thought to look there!! Well actually never even thought about any of it till now...

I'm with ya Clay Lady...
Quote:
It would really make me laugh to know something about a car that he doesn't!!
Soon as my hb comes in to get morning coffee I'm going to play with his head.. I know he doesn't know this because I've seen him look in his mirror to which side it is on... LOL!!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 10-02-2008 at 05:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics