Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:12 PM

2,815 posts, read 13,010,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I think you all are being a bit hard and judgemental of these people. Now I am not saying what they did was right but I think people nowadays are really lacking true Christlike charity. People are very complex and we do not know their motivations. Maybe it was purely selfishness but we don't know. I think we need to remember sometimes that we are not the judge of anyone and are told to forgive all.

confused and relocating; i've heard that saying before too, your grandma was very wise words to live by.
WHAT?!!!! If you're going to follow that philosophy and exercise and demonstrate "Christlike" charity to thieves and liars, then do it right and call a locksmith and have all the locks and deadbolts removed from your house so that anyone who's complex can come in and get what they need of yours. You'll find quickly that your internet access is gone as someone appreciated your "christlike" charity and took your pc, forget about watching tv as that went to someone with undisclosed motivations, food? Gone. Yum, THANKS! Where's your favorite outfit you know you had hanging in the closet? Some poor soul who appreciates your non-judgement christlike behavior is happily wearing it. Forgiveness!!!!!!
Oh, don't forget to leave your keys in the car and the windows down and the car unlocked...someone may need it.

Now my philosophy. SCREW that! How about a knuckle sandwich and a few less teeth? Charity begins at home. Motivation? Judgement? I'll show my Christian compassion giving them a coldpack with ice to help bring down the swelling on their heads after I've whacked them with a brick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,108,081 times
Quote:
I think you all are being a bit hard and judgemental of these people. Now I am not saying what they did was right but I think people nowadays are really lacking true Christlike charity. People are very complex and we do not know their motivations. Maybe it was purely selfishness but we don't know. I think we need to remember sometimes that we are not the judge of anyone and are told to forgive all.

There is really no justifiable motive for stealing with the exception of maybe hunger under dire situations. I, too, believe in forgiving and forgiveness, but I don't think that necessarily means we must condone theft -- or other crimes. Their motive was obviously selfish, otherwise they wouldn't have taken what did not belong to them.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:36 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,457,779 times
I do believe in forgiveness. But i think you missed the point. They stole an $80 jacket, probably a $15 blanket to go out and eat what was brobably a $30 meal at a restaurant. Now if somebody needs food they dont go to a restaurant, i could spend and feed a family of four on $30 for a week. Granted itd be hot dogs and the such with canned milk, but i could do it. Besides, drivers of an F350 dont need either.

I have plenty of childrens and adults coats that i give every winter for 'Coats for Kids' local charity event, they could just go there as i do give childrens clothes too.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,383,008 times
"Holy Cow"

A coat is a coat and a blanket is a blanket. Same goes for a car or a bike. If it does not belong to you keep your sticky mitts off of it. Shame on those people and in a house of "God" no less and I'm not even religious.

YOU DO NOT TAKE WHAT DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU!

BrianH:
Start drinking red wine when you're out in a restaurant. It's a pain in the rear to get the stain out. One slip and blankets or coats are toast. Believe me I know. One post on this forum had me dumping a half glass of the stuff all over me! The threader knows who they are

Sorry this had to happen to you, and on such a wonderful day too.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM

942 posts, read 2,589,387 times
Default confession??????

I would have to agree and say that NO ONE is entitled to STEAL. There are lots of charities out there to help the needy.

I dont think I would've made a scene in the restaurant because:

1. grandmas voice in my head
2. My husband would have a cow if I would've embarresed him like that
3. I probably would've been in shock to see the same couple with MY belongings, sitting down having dinner!!!!

This said, these people had NO morals, principles or beliefs, what were they doing at the church to begin with??? Confessing there last stealing spree???

Old 03-27-2007, 02:33 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,457,779 times
I think they just went to chuch to get the child christened because ive never seen them there apart from that. And ive gone to both English and Spanish speaking at the Catholic Church. Cant speak spanish but can follow whats going on lol

Old 03-27-2007, 02:36 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,692,708 times
Quote:
I think you all are being a bit hard and judgemental of these people. Now I am not saying what they did was right but I think people nowadays are really lacking true Christlike charity.
Really have to disagree here. Those Commandments, the 8th and 10th ones, what about them?
People affording to eat out would not be in the same classification as sombody who is truly needy.
IMO, big difference between common theivery and parents scraping for their families.
We must not condone law breaking misdeeds against others who work hard for what they earn. Just not right. That's why there are laws, and those Commandments. Most people will donate to a shelter before feeling any remote compassion for people like this, eating out.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:48 PM

489 posts, read 2,019,558 times
Christlike charity would indicate giving to those who are in need when we are called to do so. I believe that the original poster who didn't blast these people in public was also expressing a form of charity. Lastly, there is no need to know their motivations. They stole. And no less did it WHILE IN CHURCH. They are thieves. I do agree that we are not to be judgmental, but we do have a duty to see things the way they are and to know right from wrong (so that we can do right). The people who stole your things are unconscionable. Not only did they do this in church and then lied to the priest about it, they also stole from someone they should have been giving something to (obviously, things were not so good for you at the time if you didn't have a car). Instead of taking something from you, could they not have at least offered you a ride? I'm sorry that happened to you.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 PM

800 posts, read 4,308,083 times
That is just wrong!

Another reason for me not to be involved in organized religion *sorry, my bad joke--don't mean to offend anyone*

Old 03-27-2007, 02:57 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,105,884 times
Default "What price victory?"

They gained $95.00 worth of now-depreciated goods, not realizing or caring that what they each lost was worth infinitely more: a clear conscience, personal dignity, a good name and reputation.

Don't let the (understandable) desire for justice turn into a quest for revenge. Don't risk losing the nobility of character that sets you apart from people like that, Brian. It's been three years. Let it go.

"...for it is written, Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, saith the Lord"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics