Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,152,528 times

Advertisements

Great Post Figment!!
I guess my previous post was a little naive (I always like to think the best of people). I'm certainly not condoning stealing. I'm sorry you lost your stuff but in the end they lost out more. You can replace your things they cannot undo what they've done and they will be judged eventually if not in this life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,772,618 times
Default Hate to do it this way

For the OP.

Can't you at some point just leave it go??? Maybe more damage on your end than it is worth. These type things can eat peeps up over a time period.

A bit of the; if given lemons, find a way to make lemonade.

I saw something similar. We were over in the Med in a lil town in Sardinia. Out on the submarine tender located off shore. Made friends with the Vice Mayor in a lil town, was invited to dinner. Every Thursday night they had like a Boy's Night Out, lot of the locals ate in a small restaurant. These were long meals of 3 - 4 hours. During one meal, one of our guys took off his black issue wool sweater and hung it on a wall.

After dinner the sweater was missing, one of the locals had stolen it at the end of the meal. Very, very bad form. I asked the Vice Mayor to look for it. He just shrugged, probably knew who took it. Lot of the locals were fishermen who would leave around midnight, sweater was just to good to pass up in the cold Med in November.

Could have gone ballistic, made a big fuss. But I had a good idea. Guy was out his sweater, forget it guy. We could get those sweaters back on the Tender for a couple of bucks. That is what they value, that is what they like, GREAT. We went back and bought some more new. Next time over town we give them as gift to other local peeps. After that we could do no wrong. Had a wonderful time. When we left the Vice Mayor gave us cases of wine. Even paid to ship it back to the USA.

Sometimes you have to know when to let go. I know not popular advice but no good probably can come to anyone. The more damage might occur on your / family end over an extended period. Try to say only a blanket of X value and let it go. Tough but maybe best.

It can be only a sweater, maybe only a blanket, got to keep it in focus. The events are different, the symbology more meaning in your case, but best if you can let go.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,262,945 times
The little angel on my right shoulder agrees with dream eyes and confused's grandmother.

The little devil sitting on my left shoulder would want to go over to them and admire their new baby and then casually mention that they should keep an eye on their blanket and the coat because they are so nice. Then tell them how, at your baby's christening three years ago, you had a blanket and coat just like that stolen and your baby had to go home in the cold, blanketless.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:09 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,114,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Then tell them how, at your baby's christening three years ago, you had a blanket and coat just like that stolen and your baby had to go home in the cold, blanketless.
Yes, this is what I was getting at in my previous post.
It's easier to "let things go" when it's just about your stuff.
The coat is a bummer.
That blanket was a gift that had been given to his baby son.

Years and years ago a cheap baby stroller was stolen from our front porch.
Obviously whoever took it really needed it; I was kind of weirded out but let it go, went to Target and got another one. Same thing happened with one of our kid's bikes, it was stolen out of a backyard, and we did see it again,a little girl was riding it, in a completely different neighborhood. We briefly stopped our car, it wasn't the nicest neighborhood, we sighed and let it go.

A baby blanket stolen in church at a christening has a bit more offensive connotations, but I'd let it go as well.
However, if I later saw them again, at a cafe, as Brian did, Hereinfla's description is *precisely* what I had in mind.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,115,748 times
Don't worry...karma will get 'em!
Stealing at a church...low, very low...
Then again, maybe they 'needed' those items. I agree, move on.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,448,541 times
Dont go eat out and you can 'buy' them items. Its not that hard to figure out, even for a challenged man like me. Dont eat out several times a month, save $100+ = buy $80 jacket and $15 blanket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics