Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I've never had a job and I'm starting to think I might graduate without a job.

But if you had experience and had a hard time finding a job, I guess experience doesn't help much. In that case, what difference does it make whether or not I have work experience (since I would have a hard time getting a job either way)

I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to do if employers are unwilling to hire me
Join the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 03:56 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
I'm hungry and my ride is late.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I had about 25 customized resumes by the end of it all and wrote a separate cover letter for every application I sent.
I've got stories that would make you cry. A hard time for new graduates really isn't anything new. I had a very difficult time when I got my Master's, and that was probably when you were in diapers. There were 100 or more resumes for every job back then too. Trying to be creative can help, but its a crap shoot. I met some of the dumbest people that had jobs while interviewing.

I was in the military and I wouldn't advise that right now, as Dumb Dubya's war still goes on after how many years. If you do inquire about it, don't ever trust what a recruiter tells you, read all the fine print before ever signing. Once you sign, they own you, its not like you can just give 2 weeks notice and move on. Recruiters are like car sales people that will bend the truth into a figure eight if they have to. Its a scary world, more so than before, in my opinion.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:26 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I have a friend who has the cutest little girls in the world. I like her, but I don't like the her fellah. She was so happy to tell me that they have decided to become engaged. She is in her early to mid 20s and he is late 30s. He has 11 children... four he's rearing alone. I believe in love, but there is NO way I would consider marrying anyone with that many underage offspring. Naturally I gave her my honest opinion and warned her about teenagers. She has 2 kids, she's in love and wants to married. I want to happy for her and believe love can overcome anything, but I just don't think love is enough. She is put out with me for not being cynical. I suppose I am a bit put out with her too for being too BLIND to see... LOL It's kind of funny that I would take such a position since I too have been too blind to see

Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Pet peeve: When people think the only measure of maturity is whether or not you support yourself

Supporting yourself is a measure of maturity, I admit that. But it's not the be all, end all. Someone that's being supported by their parents can be mature in other ways.

And just because someone supports themself, that doesn't automatically make them mature.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Pet peeve: When people think the only measure of maturity is whether or not you support yourself

Supporting yourself is a measure of maturity, I admit that. But it's not the be all, end all. Someone that's being supported by their parents can be mature in other ways.
You and I rarely agree, but yes you are right, I think. Now if you were 30 and still relying on your parents and had been FOREVER, then of course I would disagree with you.

Last edited by taigagirl; 04-29-2011 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
You and I rarely agree, but yes you are right, I think. Now if you were 30 and still relying on your parents and had been FOREVER, then of course I would disagree with you.
And that's exactly where the distinction is. Some people don't see the distinction, but I'm glad you do.

To some people, a 19 year old living off their parents might as well be 30. Because in their mind, neither age should be living off their parents.

But the reality is there's a big difference between a college aged individual living off his parents and a 30 year old living off his parents.

I know a 29 year old that relies on his parents just as much as I do.

There's also a big difference between me and the people my age that sit around doing nothing and don't go to college. In both cases, we're being supported by our parents. But at least my parents are supporting me while I'm bettering myself. Their parents are supporting them while they sit around doing nothing.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Yeah, I know how that feels. Four stinking 4-7 page papers are due this week, next week and during finals. Three presentations. -__-

One of my biggest pet-peeve: When people get mad for no stinking reason and gives you a b.tchy attitude. I try not to swear and avoid it but I'll be honest this time.
Good luck on everything.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I have a friend who has the cutest little girls in the world. I like her, but I don't like the her fellah. She was so happy to tell me that they have decided to become engaged. She is in her early to mid 20s and he is late 30s. He has 11 children... four he's rearing alone. I believe in love, but there is NO way I would consider marrying anyone with that many underage offspring. Naturally I gave her my honest opinion and warned her about teenagers. She has 2 kids, she's in love and wants to married. I want to happy for her and believe love can overcome anything, but I just don't think love is enough. She is put out with me for not being cynical. I suppose I am a bit put out with her too for being too BLIND to see... LOL It's kind of funny that I would take such a position since I too have been too blind to see
There is a thing called being tooo honest. You say you hope she is aware of potential problems, and you hope she will be happy, and leave it at that. The more you needle her about it, the less chance she will want to continue a friendship. You see her as blind, but she views you as cynical, maybe there you both could be a bit right. You've stated your opinion, leave it at that. No need to sit in neutral revving the motor over this one.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Insomnia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics