Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compared to other forums / websites, how does CD compare?
Best site out there for finding Relo type info 32 45.07%
A great site, but I have found better sites 4 5.63%
I like it best for other than Relo reasons 19 26.76%
I really don't like this site 1 1.41%
None of the above 5 7.04%
I will give my answer in the thread 10 14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,881,437 times

Advertisements

That means the list of active users would take up the whole page! Because of the amount of different forums and the amount of people on all those forums, there would be a list of names 5 foot long! It would just be annoying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 12:49 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,316,930 times
Ok, i get it. lol it does make sense, thanks.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:17 AM

47 posts, read 50,884 times
I was searching for info on the city I'll relocate to, and got some very helpful responses from a couple of knowledgable posters. Since then, I've checked back to see if any new info has been posted and also browsed other boards. I love reading everybody's thoughts on different places!

Suggestions: I'm pretty new to posting, and it isn't clear to me whether city data is intended to be a place for back and forth discussion or chat, or if it is just to air out your opinion. I think I read somewhere that CD is supposed to be a database of info, but I think that a lot of well-written posts are being buried and wasted since people don't think of searching first (or maybe it's just me). Some good posters might grow weary of this and stop posting. I think it would be beneficial if there was some kind of guidance for newbies on how to get info, and how to make posts more valuable to others. Also, it would be nice if we could "favorite" a post or a thread, and search for most favorited ones of each forum. Can we do this? I don't even know.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:47 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,762,014 times
A few years ago, I started using the City Data website for research information in respect to possible relocation.

Well, one day I noticed a forum! Real people to ask questions of, to learn about first-hand life experience in places of interest to me. I quickly learned that it is not only fun and fascinating to read the answers to my questions (as well as the questions posted by others), but to post answers based on my first-hand experiences to help other people.

The positives and negatives on this C.D. forum can be easily summed up as the positives and negatives of dealing with our fellow human beings in general.

Most are pleasant and express what I do believe is the innate human propensity toward helping one another. An example would be the not only detailed answers and descriptions of locations, but the tremendous pictures posted here. They require a good deal of time and effort to take, then load onto their computer to share with everyone. It's like a mini-tour available to us because a kind soul took it upon themselves to expend that effort.

Then, there are those whose experiences, whether specific or life in general, has made them bitter, negative or argumentative. This is not to say that expressing a negative opinion about certain aspects of a place isn't appreciated. It is good to know all aspects of an area - ignorance is not bliss. I'm simply referring to those who impede the discourse by imposing their arbitrary grumpiness on others. It gets in the way.

As far as I'm concerned, this City Data forum cannot be beat for gaining first hand knowledge of life in different areas of this wonderful country. There is a place for everyone, and I appreciate this terrific resource to help discover where mine might be.

On that note - thanks to City Data for providing this website and forum!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:52 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,811,527 times
I found this site on the internet while doing a search on demographics of a particular area. So far it's the best site I've found to research different areas, or help others do the same.
The forums are great. It's very helpful to be able to ask people's opinions of certain areas.
Things I'd like improved/added would be more pictures under each city, and more detailed information on schools within a certain city. I'd like to see school boundary maps, and school ratings,test scores and state rankings. For those of us with kids that is a very important piece of info.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,383,168 times
I found this site when I began considering moving to Tennessee and pretty much stayed on that forum for awhile. When I had all the information I needed I could no longer post much because I couldn't answer and questions concerning Tennessee towns. Then I found out about the general forum and I am here most of the time now. I have met some great and some special people on this forum and have even met a couple in person.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,747,332 times
I think I was searching for some other places to visit in my state.

Wow what a bargain I got. On here I can gain friends, learn knowledge about almost any place in the world, post if I want to, don't post if I don't want to, ignore those who are jerks, play games and have fun with others, chat with others using PM, express my opinion even though some might jump on my opinion or try to convert me to their opinion, or just wake up everyday and know it's here.

I hang around the other topics and some specialized topics mostly because of those having a more relaxed atmosphere than my state forum. YAY for CD

Old 06-18-2007, 12:33 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,174,896 times
I received my homeowner's insurance bill last October and that's how I got here.
My next door neighbor's son was moving to NC and he kept talking to me about it. I got very curious when I received the HOI bill. Started looking for infor on NC. Found CD. Spent my early days on NC, then found Florida, then MIAMI, then OT and it's pretty much where I've stayed.

I don't go into Miami at all. Rarely into the other Florida forums. And I have so much fun in OT and some of the newer, broader forums, that I even feel like I've made a few good, virtual friends. So this is where I'm at and where I am staying.

I feel I've also learned about, or became more aware, of quite a few things and I love pictures!!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,354,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I started out just looking up my hometown (current location) and saw we needed some pictures. So I went out, took a few, submitted them, and stumbled across the forum somehow. The Alaska forum was pretty quiet. I gave it a little shove and it's picked up nicely. Then I started looking at some other forums. To date I've met some awesome folks. Made a few friends out of the deal and you can't beat that. For the most part this is a great place on the world wide web.
me too - looking for my hometown in PA. now I am an addict.......

Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,689,465 times
I started out searching for a place to retire and then happened upon the forum by accident. I finally got brave enough to post something then couldn't figure out how to do it. I played around a bit, posted, and got great replies. I've been hooked ever since. Just found the games this week. I'm still a newbie, but I'm hoping to learn a lot on this site. I love the pictures and how generous people are with their time, pictures, insights, and goodwill. Oops, my son just told me I shouldn't have used my real name - oh well- too late for that. Thank you to everyone for making CD such a great place to visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics