Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 03:22 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

In my perfect world: If you don't let your kids watch Harry Potter (if they want to) your children are taken and put in foster homes. In my opinion, you are not a suitable parent. You're an overzealous lunatic that would be burning witches if you were alive during that time period! You may even try to start it up again!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Question marks-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Again, Nea1, the type of magic you keep referring to may or may not exist, but that is just what the powers of darkness would like for you think. Most people think the devil runs around in a red suit, horns, and a pitchfork but that's totally inaccurate. Think subtle, think deception, think evil passed off as something harmless, and that is the cause for concern.

To believe that "magic" does not exist is just what satan would like you to believe so you get hooked in and one thing will lead to another. Have you ever encountered someone demon possessed? I have, and after being delivered when asked how did this happen they state, "I was playing with a ouija board, I didn't think it was wrong."
You have encountered a possessed person? Can you cite a case study?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
If a person has played with a Ouija board, does that mean they will be spending time in Dantes 7th circle of h*ll? who determines this?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:30 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
This is the true mark of respect--and being true to oneself. I try to embrace the same principles. Fortunately, my children espouse similar beliefs to my own. I gave them Phillip Pullman's trilogy, Dark Materials, far more threatening than Harry Potter! And they loved it!
Well, my daughter has the other two grandkids, both boys. She doesn't have a problem with HP, however, she knows that she should wait for some time, to allow them access, as Kian is only three, and Aydan is seven.

"Dark Materials"? I've not heard of that. Is it fantasy, like TLOTR and HP? You've got my curiosity going, now.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:30 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
But...

These books TEACH children to cast spells, do magic, believe in witches, wizards, etc.
Mark, HP is called fantasy because you cannot teach children how to make a broomstick fly. Believe me, I have tried. "UP!" "UP!!!" See? It doesn't work.

You remember Glenda the good witch in the Wizard of Oz? Well, she does not exist either. So learn to differentiate between reality and ...BWaaahahahaa....ohhhh noooo...those wiccans have put a spell on me.... help me Mark.... heeeelppp meee eee eeee. ....

Old 04-15-2007, 03:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Imagination serves a very, very useful and practical purpose. Human beings were designed to be flexible and for their survival, in fact, to actually depend upon mental flexibility, imagining new possibilities and the like. That's our hallmark. We don't have huge claws, we don't have thick hides and we don't have enormous stomping size.

We have our brains.

Interest in "strange" or "different" things has a very very important purpose for humans, child and adult alike. If we cease to stretch our minds outside what we have until this point held as true, then we cease to lose flexibility and our minds actually deteriorate.

Have you ever notice that people talk about older people "beginning to die" when they become mentally inflexible? When they will only allow their one TV show, with them only in the one specific chair, having just eaten the one exact dinner they expect on Wednesdays?

Stories about magic have always abounded. Certainly most Disney stories contain either elements of magic, outright magic or go so far as to have either a villian or a hero called or dress in the sterotypical way we know of as a witch. Stories about magic teach children that there could be more than what they currently know--this is a very important lesson. It's not the "only" way to get the lesson, so it's not like it's absolutely required or anything. But it is one very good, very definite way to get the message across--not that the specific things in the story exist, but simply that there could be more than they think there is. It is not a harmful or Satanic thing. It is a very very human thing and an important exercise for the mind to think beyond one's current boundaries.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Blasphemy. Don't forget there was also a wicked witch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Mark, HP is called fantasy because you cannot teach children how to make a broomstick fly. Believe me, I have tried. "UP!" "UP!!!" See? It doesn't work.

You remember Glenda the good witch in the Wizard of Oz? Well, she does not exist either. So learn to differentiate between reality and ...BWaaahahahaa....ohhhh noooo...those wiccans have put a spell on me.... help me Mark.... heeeelppp meee eee eeee. ....

Old 04-15-2007, 03:38 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
If a person has played with a Ouija board, does that mean they will be spending time in Dantes 7th circle of h*ll? who determines this?
LOL! That's what my son calls his job! Maybe that's what caused him to buy a copy of "The Inferno". He started reading it, yesterday. Guess I'll have to take a look at it, myself. I've read alot of classics, but not that one. By the way, did you know that many people think that that is where much of the typical description of hell, as most people understand it, comes from? Or, at least, so I've heard. Think I heard it on The History Channel, as a matter of fact, on their program about Hell. Very interesting program!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:47 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
If you want some lighter reading, you might take a look at Piers Anthony's trilogy--a breathtaking example of hell and finding salvation (through the tarot); and Phillip Pullman's trilogy, Dark Materials (for which he won the Whitbread Award in Great Britain--a first ever for a children's book). Anthony's is a harder read more in keeping with Dante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
LOL! That's what my son calls his job! Maybe that's what caused him to buy a copy of "The Inferno". He started reading it, yesterday. Guess I'll have to take a look at it, myself. I've read alot of classics, but not that one. By the way, did you know that many people think that that is where much of the typical description of hell, as most people understand it, comes from? Or, at least, so I've heard. Think I heard it on The History Channel, as a matter of fact, on their program about Hell. Very interesting program!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:52 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
What's an "undead" army? if dead is dead it's then not "undead" that would be alive.
I guess what Lucidus means is like Jesus hanging out for a while after the third day of his death before he ascended to heaven.

Last edited by PrettyHateMachine; 04-15-2007 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.