Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,351 times

Advertisements

According to this article at least two sets of neighbors have put their names to the complaint. Is it possible the parents of these children are not being responsible? Do most of you really believe that anything goes when children are having fun and to hell with everyone else? The people that took this to court have indicated that they feel so strongly about this that they intend to have the law changed in their community. Is it possible the parents have encouraged bad behavior to spite their neighbors and today feign indignation that anyone would tell them their children they can't play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 21,588 times
Hey I am having the problem of not only screaming kids (in the middle of the street near my driveway) but aren't I lucky the association president's son's kids is one of the brats that plays w/ them. This is all in a townhouse community! Count your blessings folks, this could be you! Not a child hater just wanting peace and quiet one or two days out of the week when I get home.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
My kids go outside to run and play. When they get too loud, I tell them to knock it off. I'm teaching them respect for others. Not a popular concept these days.

I have neighbors with kids. Teens and younger. The teens keep their music down and there's just ONE little girl with the most annoying screech... of course, she lives in the house where the grass is overgrown and wears pajamas all day. The house where the dog barks at 4 am because the sprinkler system came on suddenly and he was left outside AGAIN! There's not much I can do except be grateful it's winter... she doesn't play outside in the winter.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 AM

278 posts, read 910,500 times
The thumping of the bass is enough to drive any sane person crazy. I have my own teens and haven't gotten used to it. I'm sure it's a major problem in areas where people have to share walls. My kids were always loud and I'm sure glad no one was stuck having to listen to it other than myself.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
As the mother of an 8 yr old boy, I have to tell you folks you need to talk to these neighbors who have such rude children. Yes it's my yard that I pay a lot for BUT my son and his friends know what is reasonable and I call them down when they pass it. Parents need to parent. That is the crux of the problem in the US today. All these brats getting everything they want and not being shown limits. While I would not ever compare children to dogs, I understand what someone above said about the noise. There are days I'd love to shoot my neighbors dogs. They are ankle biter dogs with a high pitched bark and I can't even get out of my car in the front of the house without them barking! Forget going on my deck! They hear me yell at the dogs to be quiet but they are still out all the time. Thank God we are selling and moving! I would never stand for my child annoying neighbors like those dogs annoy me!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,481 times
I couldn't access the article but perhaps the girls are screamers? Nothing is worse than screamers while playing.

I had some neighbors with 2 young girls - maybe 6 and 8. The second they were let out of the door, the youngest would scream.....over and over and over and over.....it drove me nuts! Not only was her voice high pitched and shreaking, how would anyone know if the child was hurt, or something was wrong if she was continually screaming?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,796 times
I raised kids and yes they need to play but I have kids behind me.. (I moved here first) and they are so loud but tht's ok... but my dogs can't bark...hmmm I only let my dogs out to go potty adn to run around for maybe 20 minutes and those kids behind me tease my dogs so then they just bark... I think I will be teasing those kids form now on... and.. I have 8 kids and 10 grandkids... I love kids but... I don't want to hear them from sun up to sun down...

Old 03-27-2010, 11:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I used to tell all the kids in our neighborhood to knock it off when they got so loud it was annoying to me. I guess once you do that and/or ask the parents to keep them quieter there isn't much left to do but call someone in authority. It's too bad it has to come to that but it will continue to happen as long as people have the attitude that "they can do whatever they want on their property" and other such nonsense.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
The problem is there is no such thing as a neighborhood with NO kids unless you are in a retirement community. They won't let us in yet...we asked!
There is a difference between making kids be completely quiet and allowing them to scream and squeal endlessly. It is a matter of degrees. My previous neighborhood was supposed to be a quiet one with all sorts of HMA rules about noise levels and quiet times etc. It even had a huge park in the center with pools swings etc. where kids could scream as loud as they wanted. But I still had to deal with my neighbors kids playing baseball in the street right behind my garage and shooting each other with the water hose and screaming all day. You could hear them clearly even inside my house with the TV and a fan on. Forget about gardening in my own backyard...you could hear the screaming with headphones on.
No, it IS hard to find an area with few children or any children, but they are out there. I know in our area you can find quite a few neighbourhoods that are full of 1940's (and 1950's) housing, and the original residents of those houses, lol. It's the area where they built their 1st house and stayed there, had their kids, then said kids moved out. These people are in their 70's and 80's now, and their neighbourhoods are the quietest. Even more so than the "retirement community" down the street. who would have guessed that 55+ people can party that hard?!

I agree, there is NO reason for anyone to scream from sun up to sun down, but I don't think anyone can realistically expect children to not ever make one sound.

Children playing outside and having fun is a sweet sound to me, more so than all the incessant blips and bloops from video games, and the groans and loud darns, and shoots and aww craps that you hear when someone doesn't finish a level; but even I get unnerved at the bloodcurdling screams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting