Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
As a parent of two sons who play football, I have to say that football parents as a whole are crazier than the average parent!!
Crazier than soccer parents? <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't have a problem with private coaches and the like for high school kids who actually have enough talent to get a college scholarship or make the NFL. If a child really has the potential to get a scholarship I see nothing wrong with spending money on pursuing that dream. After all the most successful kids (at any activity) are the ones with parental support.

I do have a problem with the stuff I see at the youth level though:

I have seen parents who would not acknowledge their child's legitimate injury so that their child could continue practicing. The parent yelled at me because I helped the child off the field. He could hardly stand and was 9 years old. He then proceeded to publicly humiliate the mother (his ex) because she took him to a doctor and the doctor said he broke his ankle and would be out for most of the season.

I have seen a parent of a 10 year old with a fever give that child Tylenol and send him out to play in the Florida heat.

I have seen a parent/coach continue to run his own 8 year old child in the Forida heat AFTER the child had vomited from the heat. The team was ahead by 3 touchdowns so the game was not on the line. Thank goodness the referees had the good sense to send the child off the field.

I have seen the same parent/coach practice the kids in a thunderstorm despite being asked by the other coaches to get the kids to shelter because it is dangerous for the kids to be out in the lightning. There was almost a fistfight at that practice because the other coaches were adamant about getting the kids off the field.

My son has a child currently on his team who injured his hand. The parents took him to about 5 doctors to find one that says he does not need surgery. After 4 doctors told me that he needed surgery-I would get him surgery. He is only 11.

AND THE CRAZIEST OF ALL:

I have seen a parent hire a thug and send him out to the field to threaten to rough up a coach who spoke crossly to his child. Yes-really. This really happened. IN. FRONT. OF. THE. KIDS.

Good God. The first several sound familiar, but that last one definitely puts yours ahead of any of the soccer parents (usually Dads) I've come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM

853 posts, read 4,039,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
As for "found a way to force her x-husband to take him (and his brother) to football on the days that the kids are with him"...well, yeah. If Junior has committed to playing a team sport, he needs to be there, and if Dad has him, Dad needs to haul his butt to the field..
I agree except that junior (and brother) did not commit to playing, they did not want to play!!! Also, the Dad only has them a few weekdays a week, and the summer is the only real time he has with them, and now he is spending it on the football field. Oh, and the brother is 7, and likes it even less than the 11 year old.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 PM

853 posts, read 4,039,447 times
Wow, lots of great advice (and some crazy stories)! Maybe this mother should go hang out with some of those other parents....lol!

The reason I did not make a big deal about my son wanting to miss the optional practice, is because on top of it being optional, my husband was never really on board with the time commitment involved in football, and I got a new job right at the beginning of the season, so he is handling most of it (and not complaining too much!). So, the option was as much for my husband's sake as my son's. As a side note, tonight my son wanted to skip, and I did make him go. I explained that since his playing football has meant 100% commitment and focus from his family, that he has to give it 100% as well. Plus, I want him to know how much work football is, so that if he chooses to play next year, he will be choosing knowing how much work it is (and, he did go and listen to me, without a hassle!).

As for the other mother, lots of people in the kid’s school do not have a good opinion of her and like her husband better (as a person and for the kids). I think there is a lot going on, and I now worry for the son more than I did when I had not experienced how she is when she is mad and wants her way. I also agree that I need to be careful what I say as I can not know what she will do.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,730 times
Sounds like a control freak. I feel sorry for her son. Optional is optional. That means he has an option... but not according to her I'm sure. I'd ignore her... nothing angers control freaks like being cast aside. She will just end up making herself look like a crazy person.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Wow, lots of great advice (and some crazy stories)! Maybe this mother should go hang out with some of those other parents....lol!

The reason I did not make a big deal about my son wanting to miss the optional practice, is because on top of it being optional, my husband was never really on board with the time commitment involved in football, and I got a new job right at the beginning of the season, so he is handling most of it (and not complaining too much!). So, the option was as much for my husband's sake as my son's. As a side note, tonight my son wanted to skip, and I did make him go. I explained that since his playing football has meant 100% commitment and focus from his family, that he has to give it 100% as well. Plus, I want him to know how much work football is, so that if he chooses to play next year, he will be choosing knowing how much work it is (and, he did go and listen to me, without a hassle!).

As for the other mother, lots of people in the kid’s school do not have a good opinion of her and like her husband better (as a person and for the kids). I think there is a lot going on, and I now worry for the son more than I did when I had not experienced how she is when she is mad and wants her way. I also agree that I need to be careful what I say as I can not know what she will do.

Thanks!
Also as an aside, I refrain from making a big deal of my commitment when my kids vacillate about participating in an activity. Rather, I emphasize that their teammates are counting on them to follow through. It's really no big deal for me, and sometimes it's a relief, if my kids want to stop playing soccer, etc., but it's a huge deal for the other players, who rely on them to be there and giving it their all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting