Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times

Advertisements

I didn't have time to read all the replies to this topic, but here is my opinion, I am very close mouthed about what happens in our family, I bf'd my kids longer than most people and got sick and tired of "the looks" I would get when the topic came up, so learned early on that there are just some things that are better left unsaid. This being said if co-sleeping works for you and your family, then do it, you are the only ones that live in your house and you have to do what works best for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I don't know it never bothered me as a kid or a teen....but i have euro/hippy parents so we didn't have the typical american upbringing. I actually found it sweet that they still were nuts for each other after all those years .
It sounds like so many here had the typical American upbringing... with typical Puritan prudishness, apparently. You're making different choices than many here would, but if it's working for you and yours, awesome! The thing is - you WILL be misunderstood in public, even in some more liberal circles, because your choices are so far outside the norm. Either keep it quiet within your mom's group or be prepared to be somewhat ostracized. It's very unfortunate that's how it is, I wish folks could mind their own beeswax and not judge what they know nothing about, but unfortunately, there are societal norms and any time you step outside of those, you take the chance of being misunderstood.

Make sure your kids have strong social support - get to unschooling conferences and gatherings as much as you can, be around other open minded folks as much as possible, and they'll be fine.

I think the Puritans with their no-play, let's-pretend-like-we-don't-have-bodies ethos ruined a lot of what is good about being human. Yay for you, you've stepped outside that box! But don't expect that others won't react negatively.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
It sounds like so many here had the typical American upbringing... with typical Puritan prudishness, apparently. You're making different choices than many here would, but if it's working for you and yours, awesome! The thing is - you WILL be misunderstood in public, even in some more liberal circles, because your choices are so far outside the norm. Either keep it quiet within your mom's group or be prepared to be somewhat ostracized. It's very unfortunate that's how it is, I wish folks could mind their own beeswax and not judge what they know nothing about, but unfortunately, there are societal norms and any time you step outside of those, you take the chance of being misunderstood.

Make sure your kids have strong social support - get to unschooling conferences and gatherings as much as you can, be around other open minded folks as much as possible, and they'll be fine.

I think the Puritans with their no-play, let's-pretend-like-we-don't-have-bodies ethos ruined a lot of what is good about being human. Yay for you, you've stepped outside that box! But don't expect that others won't react negatively.
then EVERYONE I know is a total prude.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:34 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
then EVERYONE I know is a total prude.
Me too. And they all don't have sex with their kids in their bed.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
It's very unfortunate that's how it is, I wish folks could mind their own beeswax and not judge what they know nothing about, but unfortunately, there are societal norms and any time you step outside of those, you take the chance of being misunderstood.

Well, the OP has dished out her own judgements of others around here, asking a poster why she bothered getting married if finding time alone with her spouse isn't a priority right now because they have small children.

I would venture to say that if one does not want candid opinions from others on a particular subject they ought not be soliciting them on a message board.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I would venture to say that if one does not want candid opinions from others on a particular subject they ought not be soliciting them on a message board.
I was referring to her OP, where she talked about her friends being judgy, not her experience here.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
So, one of the tenets of homeschooling is it's completely normal to have sex in front of your children?

Whatever.

Anyone who is actually cosleeping w/ impressionable aged children & having sex w/ their sig other w/ the kids right there...highly doubt what others think has much of an impact & more that this would be a heck of thread debate.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Anyone who is actually cosleeping w/ impressionable aged children & having sex w/ their sig other w/ the kids right there...highly doubt what others think has much of an impact & more that this would be a heck of thread debate.
As long as they keep them from the evils of teams sports

Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Well, the OP has dished out her own judgements of others around here, asking a poster why she bothered getting married if finding time alone with her spouse isn't a priority right now because they have small children.

Oh so asking a question is dishing out an opinion...got ya, maybe you should tell webster that. I asked her because i am curious why she feels that way is all, and don't really care how she lives her family life as long as it makes her happy. I also don't mind the opinions who don't agree with me either ....i want candid responses. I am aware i am a handful to handle lol, but i am really not that bad.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Oh so asking a question is dishing out an opinion...got ya, maybe you should tell webster that. I asked her because i am curious why she feels that way is all, and don't really care how she lives her family life as long as it makes her happy. I also don't mind the opinions who don't agree with me either ....i want candid responses. I am aware i am a handful to handle lol, but i am really not that bad.
Dont ask if you dont wanna know......the thread you started in the Relationships forum just confirmed what I suspected.
Not judging, mind you.....just dont drag stuff for public inspection out and NOT expect people to judge you.
BTW, why DID you start that other thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting