Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We don't believe in using birth control, so the answer is we would absolutely care. They can live how they want to live as long as they don't live in our house. If you're adult enough to be having sex, you're adult enough to live on your own.

LOL...scary stuff...IMO birth control should be in the water supply.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do not think that parents should have any say in the sex life of an adult. They can have a say in whether they allow sexual activity in their home but that's about it.

Living at home is not an excuse for parents to control every aspect of their adult child's life.
Correct....but the "adult" child living in his/ her parents' home needs to respect the rules of the parents or find somewhere else to live.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Correct....but the "adult" child living in his/ her parents' home needs to respect the rules of the parents or find somewhere else to live.
But what the adult child does outside of the home is none of the parents business, if adult little susie goes over to her boyfriends on a day off to get some at her boyfriends its none of mom and dads business, nor should she be required to inform her parents.

Parents who want to control their adult childs sexual activity need to seek help in the form of therapy and a reality check, they dont need for their excessive controlingness to be enabled. You enable people like that and they feel like they xan do whatever whenever and they xant.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
We don't believe in using birth control, so the answer is we would absolutely care. They can live how they want to live as long as they don't live in our house. If you're adult enough to be having sex, you're adult enough to live on your own.
Let me get this, because you personally have issues with BC you would actually not take efforts to make sure your kids are protected? And if they come home younger then 18 pregnant then you just what shrug your shoulders?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What parent gives a fig if their 18 year old child who is probably going to college is having sex? While you are correct my house my rules is the correct way to have things i just don't see what you would attempt to force your personal morals on your child hanging loss of domicile over their head in order to maintain it o.O.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But what the adult child does outside of the home is none of the parents business, if adult little susie goes over to her boyfriends on a day off to get some at her boyfriends its none of mom and dads business, nor should she be required to inform her parents.

Parents who want to control their adult childs sexual activity need to seek help in the form of therapy and a reality check, they dont need for their excessive controlingness to be enabled. You enable people like that and they feel like they xan do whatever whenever and they xant.
That's true. I have an adult son, and since he was 18 he has done what he wants re. sex and other adult pastimes. I don't agree with what he does, but it is none of my business. Now, if he wanted to do certain things in my home near his younger brothers, that would be a problem, but he doesn't do that.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
What parent gives a fig if their 18 year old child who is probably going to college is having sex? While you are correct my house my rules is the correct way to have things i just don't see what you would attempt to force your personal morals on your child hanging loss of domicile over their head in order to maintain it o.O.
As I said, depends on what he does and if he's resident in the home or not. As an adult, he can have sex when/where he wants. However, there are certain things I simply will not allow in my home. He knows that, and doesn't do those things there.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
After 18 they are legal to have sex, you do not trump the law, you cannot bar another adult from their legal rights.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
After 18 they are legal to have sex, you do not trump the law, you cannot bar another adult from their legal rights.
And her legal right is, she does not have to provide for them over 18/graduated from high school. She said nothing about trumping the law. Only that if they were old enough to be having sex, they were old enough to be self supporting.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I know in some cases its a religious objection but in others it seems to be an attempt at control on the one things parents have little control over.
Even if it is a religious objection there is no requirement that an adult share his parents religious beliefs. Just because the parents are providing a place to live that does not give them the right to tell an adult what they must believe. Of course they can make rules about conduct in their own home, but they cannot make their adult child believe the same way they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting