Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I bet I've lived in more places than you over my life...but thanks for pointing that out.
Want a cookie then?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
And you want a cookie for it?
Nope no cookie necessary. Just saying that your "openmindedness" only seems to extend to those with similar beliefs to you. Others are dismissed as trying to prove something to the neighbors. Who,regardless of where you live, most likely are blisssfully unaware of your childrens sex life unless you're talking about or they are putting on a show on the front lawn. Just because you disagree does not mean the parents aren't acting in what they believe to be the best interest of their childen.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
We care about our kids and moral values are important to us as well. However, another adult does not have to share your moral values whether they are your child or not.
No, they don't have to. However, they also don't have to live with us. Living with your parents beyond the age of 18 and high school graduation is not a right. I really don't understand what's so hard about having to follow house rules if you want to continue living at the house.

It would also set a terrible example for any younger children. "Now, don't you guys have pre-marital sex, but it's completely OK for you older brother/sister to do it."

Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I fail to see what moral values have to do with caring for your children. And is it right to place their importance over the well being of your children?
See, we will never agree on this subject. We place this rule because of their well being. We do not think it's healthy for teens to be having sex. You do know that it's possible to not act on every hormonal impulse, yes?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Nope no cookie necessary. Just saying that your "openmindedness" only seems to exyend to those with similar beliefs to you. Others are dismissed as trying to prove something to the neighbors. Who,regardless of where you live, most likely are blisssfully unaware of your childres sex life inless uou're talking about or they are putting on a show on the front lawn. Just because you disagree does not mean the parents aren't acting in what they believe to be the best interest of their childen.
Neighbors can mean friends, people you go to church with. You think people don't talk and judge? You should sit in on my aunt and her church pals with their gossip on who did what one evening. And yes on occasion the person in the neighborhood who's child had their bf/gf walk out of the house early the next morning is both discussed and frowned upon. Banning your child from sex because you believe its morally wrong is not looking out for your child's best interests i'm sorry. Banning your child from sex because you fear the consequences while not perhaps the brightest way to go about it shows the parents heart is in the correct area at least.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Hmmmm...talking and judging much?

And it's not even church...go figure.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
See, we will never agree on this subject. We place this rule because of their well being. We do not think it's healthy for teens to be having sex. You do know that it's possible to not act on every hormonal impulse, yes?
Yes and i know that regardless of your rule it will happen or not. Very few teens will not engage in some level of sexual activity before college, and by the first year or two of college most of the rest have as well. And while ones heart might be in the right place it fails to actually protect your children by putting hope in the assumption they will follow your moral values.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm...talking and judging much?

And it's not even church...go figure.
I don't go so it wouldn't matter

Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Why would you WANT to stay at home and live with your parents if you knew that they were unhappy that you were having sex outside of marriage?

The tsk, tsking isn't enough of a kick in the pants to make you start looking at Craig's list?

And why is this all the parents fault? Why is it the parent who has to change?

Why isn't Adult Child taking a little responsibility?

Dang. If I had parents riding my case 24/7 about something I'd be out of there and living my own life.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
No, they don't have to. However, they also don't have to live with us. Living with your parents beyond the age of 18 and high school graduation is not a right. I really don't understand what's so hard about having to follow house rules if you want to continue living at the house.

It would also set a terrible example for any younger children. "Now, don't you guys have pre-marital sex, but it's completely OK for you older brother/sister to do it."
Shouldn't it be their personal choice to not engage in pre marital sex however? And i can understand the fact of keeping older children's sex activities out of the house for younger kids, and the parental ick factor .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting