Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Correct....but the "adult" child living in his/ her parents' home needs to respect the rules of the parents or find somewhere else to live.
Yes they need to respect the rules of the home, meaning that if the parents do not want him having sex in their home he should certainly respect that. But realistically, parents have very little ability to regulate the legal conduct of their adult children if it happens outside their home.

Although I agree that adult children living in their parents homes need to respect house rules, I also think that parents rules need to be age appropriate. Rules for a 20 year old should not be the same as they were at age 13 or 15.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Yes they need to respect the rules of the home, meaning that if the parents do not want him having sex in their home he should certainly respect that. But realistically, parents have very little ability to regulate the legal conduct of their adult children if it happens outside their home.

Although I agree that adult children living in their parents homes need to respect house rules, I also think that parents rules need to be age appropriate. Rules for a 20 year old should not be the same as they were at age 13 or 15.
I think in his case is more that he believes that if his young sons see it they might feel it's okay for them to do it. Or they are much younger and he doesn't feel they need to see it?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Even if it is a religious objection there is no requirement that an adult share his parents religious beliefs. Just because the parents are providing a place to live that does not give them the right to tell an adult what they must believe. Of course they can make rules about conduct in their own home, but they cannot make their adult child believe the same way they do.
I agree, but often people do try to push their morals and views on their children regardless.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And her legal right is, she does not have to provide for them over 18/graduated from high school. She said nothing about trumping the law. Only that if they were old enough to be having sex, they were old enough to be self supporting.
Seems to be a tad harsh for ones child to be forced to move out of the house before they are fully ready because one holds archaic values though no?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think in his case is more that he believes that if his young sons see it they might feel it's okay for them to do it. Or they are much younger and he doesn't feel they need to see it?
Oh I agree with that. I don't want my adult son bringing his sex life into our house for the same reason. I have 2 younger sons also. However, you cannot realistically expect to control an adult's behavior outside the home.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
No. Guessing under those circumstances they would be aware of the repurcussions from the get-go. You said previously you agreed with going by the "house rules"...if these are the house rules and an adult child chooses, of their own free and adult will to go against them, then they can live with the adult consequences of those actions seems to me. Whether those rules are "archaic" or not is a separate issue. It doesn't matter.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Yeah, I came to that conclusion long ago.

Quote:
True as well. But there are still some boundaries there.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Seems to be a tad harsh for ones child to be forced to move out of the house before they are fully ready because one holds archaic values though no?
Depends on what you call archaic, and depends on what the adult child believes they should be able to do at home.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
True as well. But there are still some boundaries there.
Yes of course. Especially if there are still younger kids living at home.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No. Guessing under those circumstances they would be aware of the repurcussions from the get-go. You said previously you agreed with going by the "house rules"...if these are the house rules and an adult child chooses, of their own free and adult will to go against them, then they can live with the adult consequences of those actions seems to me. Whether those rules are "archaic" or not is a separate issue. It doesn't matter.
Well house rules are the rules of the house. However, rules of the house certainly should not apply outside the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.